Lightest clinchers for heavy riders

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nismosr

by nismosr

On today's ride going up a climb I broke a drive side spoke on my first gen Campagnolo Hyperon Tubular wheel.I have to call one of my who lives in the area to pick me up. I have put maybe 3k+ miles on the wheelset at 200lbs at the most.was wondering which a good low profile lightweight wheelset for a Clydesdale like me.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Look into the wider rims like the pacenti or those on the Hed wheels. They'll make a stiffer stronger wheel while still being low profile. The handling is also arguably better.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I'd second erics recommendation of the Hed or Pacentis. Those could be a great option for a daily driver and both of them have a solid strength to weight ratio.

jooo

by jooo

nismosr wrote:I broke a drive side spoke

If it's only a spoke, why not have it replaced and have the wheel re-tensioned by a good wheel builder?

Saoi

by Saoi

I figure I'll piggyback onto this thread, rather than start a new one. I'm looking at getting a new wheelset built up to replace a set of RS-10s (heavy as heck, but I have to say they've been pretty bombproof... no issues whatsoever).

I'm mostly a weekend/fair weather rider; I don't race, don't really do much in the way of sprinting, and there's not much in the way of climbing to do around here. I weigh under 210 (95 kg) even on my fat days. Usually closer to 200-205 (90-93 kgs).

I was thinking the Pacenti SL23 to Tune 70/170 with CX-Rays. Prior to the recall, I had been thinking Alchemy (but I guess that's off the table for the next while). I'm thinking 28/32, or am I worrying too much and would 24/28 be fine?

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Saoi wrote:I'm mostly a weekend/fair weather rider; I don't race, don't really do much in the way of sprinting, and there's not much in the way of climbing to do around here.

If you don't climb, race, or sprint I wonder why weight is important to you?
formerly rruff...

Saoi

by Saoi

Same reason I buy nicer scotch, better stereo equipment, or nice kitchen gadgets. Losing weight from the ol' steed is a fun hobby, and I've been wanting to treat myself to a new set of wheels for awhile.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

But light doesn't mean nicer. It generally means more fragile and more expensive. If you aren't sprinting or climbing, you aren't encountering situations where the lighter weight has a noticeable effect.

But if you really want it anyway, I'd recommend a DT240 rear with the sticker removed and an Alchemy front, for the light and durable sweet spot ... and 28r and 20f on the spokes.
formerly rruff...