Your Favorite Clincher Tires?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Guyeclipse

by Guyeclipse

I have been riding Continental gatorskin Kevlar bead for a while now and have been quite happy with them. They are extremely hard wearing and unbeknownst to me, surprisingly light as in trying out some new kitchen scales, they came in at 221g after a while of use which I was amazed at considering I haven't had a tire related flat since their purchase which was late last year.

They aren't a particularly supple tire but they roll well over unfamiliar terrain and especially where I live, where the road surface is occasionally a bit choppy. I race these in team time trials which are on a rough chip road and they do fantastically and that is why I chose the gators over a set of 4000s.

However, you need to remember that these tires despite the Kevlar bead are a nightmare to mount on any rim and take a significant deal to persuade the last 10% to get in the rim. They really are not a flexible tire, however you very rarely have to take it off so that outweighs the hideous mounting procedure.

However if I didn't have the need for a puncture resistance, I would be a happy owner of a set of clincher Veloflexes of Vittorias.
Last edited by Guyeclipse on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ticou

by ticou

Ultremo ZX. Only one puncture so far, despite looking so fragile. Perhaps the fastest tyre I'll ever have, which is a bit sad. Not bouncy at 130 psi either, despite craggy roads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

Blooie....the Veloflex is OK with a thin Butyl tube though like any tyres, Latex should be your first choice. Latex are slightly trickier to fit but are no more easily punctured. Light butyls like Supersonic Contis or Maxxis flyweights are the second choice behind any latex tube though. Personally, I prefer Challenge latex tubes (the funky red ones). 60g (ish) and beautifully subtle-riding.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

I switched around 9 month ago from GP4000s to Ultremo ZX.

Really like the ZX.
Feel faster
Look faster
Look more fragile, but I am really happy with the punctures so far.
Nice cornering.

For me this is the tyre to keep!
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Waiting for the new Schwalbe Ultremo Tubeless - the regular clincher is great so I suspect as a tubeless it's going to be fantastic.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

motorthings

by motorthings

i just got a new set of the american road tubeless clincher, and am waiting for a worth tubeless tire to try....the new ultremo sounds like the first option that is enticing.

bet987

by bet987

Ultremo ZX

swinter

by swinter

there are plenty of great tires, and I cannot say which are best. I run the pro race 4 with the michelin latex tubes and have been very happy. only one flat this year, and that was the result of a crash.

i've run the vittorio open corsa which were good. i like the michelin better.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

tigoose

by tigoose

Panaracer type D.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Anyone here with real world experience on Specialized's new 24c S-Works Turbo clincher?

Big reduction in RR over the previous gen Turbo, but I have no idea how good / bad the old one was...
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SilentG

by SilentG

Johnny Rad wrote:Anyone here with real world experience on Specialized's new 24c Turbo clincher?

Big reduction in RR over the previous ten Turbo, but I have no idea how good / bad the old one was...

are you asking about the s-works version? if so, they're very, very prone to flats. 3 flats in less than 200mi. last flat was a gash. grip was nice, couldn't notice a difference in rolling resistance. the tires are "race day only" according to specialized. that's even printed on the packaging.

i had a pair of the turbo pros that lasted me 1,500mi with only 2 flats.

NJBiker72

by NJBiker72

No need to quote above

My old SWorks Turbos flatted all the time. Not worth it unless you are racing imo.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Svetty

by Svetty

Softer compounds grip well, more supple, less durable, cut easier. All else is marketing and psychology/placebo effect.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

motorthings wrote:i just got a new set of the american road tubeless clincher, and am waiting for a worth tubeless tire to try....the new ultremo sounds like the first option that is enticing.

They have good Crr because they removed the anti-puncture belt from the tubeless model. The tubed Ultremo (which has the belt) has poor Crr.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

swinter

by swinter

I'm running the michelin pro race 4 comp (with the higher thread count) now and they seem supple and a bit faster.

but, then, it could just be the placebo effect.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928