Your Favorite Clincher Tires?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ychornet

by ychornet

Mikmik wrote:
ychornet wrote:"GP4000s", but recently I hear some good reviews about attack-force. I'll try them

You'll be back on the GP4000's as soon as you wear out the force/attack....which will be quite quickly!!! No diffe between them except the force/attack wear out in front of your eyes. Complete waste of money IMO.

Thanks for the advise. Another drawback of this tires is you can't swich front and rear tires for equal worn out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dummey

by dummey

Going to be a bit of an odd ball here and not like GP4000s. I had a bad year and probably bad batch where 4 sidewalls gave out within 2000 miles.

Have since then switched to Gator 25 back / Pro 3 23 front for training. Tires wear out evenly enough and the Pro 3 isn't all that weak for a front tire (I would not use them for a rear).

As for racing, nothing beats Open Corsa Evo CX imo.

And for best value, Maxxis Refuse.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I'll toss my hat into the discussion.

Top three from experience:

Conti GP4000(s) (racing, training, ultras, any road)
Vredestein Fortezza (training, crap roads)
Schwalbe Ultremo ZX (racing, perfect roads)

Really, really, ridiculously fun tires to ride (commute or social) :
Schwalbe Big Apple 700c.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I recently am liking the Ultremo ZX HD's a lot. Nice round profile, good grip, roll great. Not super durable though, on bad roads they'll cut up easily. The tires coming from Mavic with their wheels have pleasantly surprised me as well.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

If the roads around here weren't so horrible I'd be rolling on Vittorias and a latex tube, but they suck! :evil:
My current setup is Continental GP4000s (25s) and some ridiculously heavy thorn proof tubes :|

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Veloflex Master 22 + Vredestein latex tubes.

bikenut

by bikenut

Veloflex Corsa+latex tubes

G6612

by G6612

Not to hi-jack the thread, I ride GP4000s and I was wondering with so many people using them what tire pressure do you run? Please give your weight and pressure please. I weigh between 173 to 175lbs. and run 115psi I am thinking that is too high.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

150lbs (5 lbs over my target weight! :evil: )
~110 psi. Quite happy with that on 95% of the roads I ride.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

KWalker

by KWalker

prendrefeu wrote:
StuTheWeak wrote:Can't believe Mondo's aren't anyone else's favorite...

Most people on this forum have far more riding experience than you at this time, Stu. No offense, but it's reality.
More locations, higher skill level, more miles, more years/decades. This is why Mondo tires are not highly rated by folks who have more experience (not to mention more equipment experience).

I've got much more experience than him and like the Mondo Pro/S-Works. Not very flat resistant, but they grip and ride VERY well. Definitely tied with the Pro3s for 3rd place in my top 3.

I'm running 25mm Gatorskins right now 95 rear and 90 front on my 101s. Not supple, but I'm never flatting either. Will likely run these for a bit, then check out the Pro4's when they're out and reserve these for bad roads/races or maybe try the Tangentes.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

If I had the money I'd send a pair of Mondos to every member of this board...just to prove a point. Again, I hate to sound like I'm pushing a product, but...
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

graphs

by graphs

Another vote for Conti GP4000S with latex tubes (cheap coloured ones unfortunately). I'm sure there are plenty of other/better options but these are a good combo of price, wet + dry grip, decent rolling and availability. They look pretty nice too.

I do have a set of Vittoria Open Pave for racing in the rain though.

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

G6612 wrote:Not to hi-jack the thread, I ride GP4000s and I was wondering with so many people using them what tire pressure do you run? Please give your weight and pressure please. I weigh between 173 to 175lbs. and run 115psi I am thinking that is too high.

205 lbs. Run 107/8 in the rear and 104/5 in the front.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

graphs wrote:Another vote for Conti GP4000S with latex tubes (cheap coloured ones unfortunately). I'm sure there are plenty of other/better options but these are a good combo of price, wet + dry grip, decent rolling and availability. They look pretty nice too.

I do have a set of Vittoria Open Pave for racing in the rain though.

Just wondering, is there any benefit in using a latex inner tube in a tyre such as this one? I mean it's not as if it's a high tpi count one. Especially not if you consider its true TPI count as opposed to the odd formula Conti is advertising its products with, ist it.... :?: :?:

One of these days Conti's going to sue me for sure.... :P

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mclaren

by mclaren

I use conti 4000s but am considering michelin pro4s. Anyone try the new michelins yet? How about challenge tires!