Campagnolo Bullet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kervelo

by kervelo

I wonder what is the source of the all-aluminium-50mm-eurus news. Campagnolo website does not mention such euruses.

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/newsde ... atid_3.jsp

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

amt wrote:Doesn't make sense to me as the sister company already has deep dish carbon clinchers and they are light.

Fulcrum?

kervelo wrote:I wonder what is the source of the all-aluminium-50mm-eurus news. Campagnolo website does not mention such euruses.

I was wondering the same. The pics on road.cc only the standard mid profile eurus rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LVGH

by LVGH

I would be surprised if those wheels really exist (and if they get the same name as a low-profile wheel). Would make a nice successor to the old and beloved Shamal though. Technology does exist, e.g. Alex has a 50mm alu rim (R700), just can't imagine Campagnolo would be operating such a niche market especially given how long it took to make an alucarbon clincher - either the wheels would be too heavy, or too cheap compared to their Bullet range.

milroy

by milroy

amt wrote:Doesn't make sense to me as the sister company already has deep dish carbon clinchers and they are light. My only guess they are marketing a product at a price point to fill in gaps in the product range and to place other products that thier competitors already have. Its an old marketing story!

Deep dish?

Does Campag have another wheel making sister company other than Fulcrum? I'm not aware of any deep section carbon clincher Fulcrum wheels. The XLR are tubs.

And anyways, 1590g compares fine to other alloy rim, carbon fairing wheels at 50mm.

HED Jet 4 FR 1685g (45mm)
Cosmic SLR 1595g (52mm)
Zipp 404 (C/A) 1658g (58mm)
Zipp 303 1623g (44mm)

Even the 404 Firecrest is 1557g with all the downsides of a carbon braking surface.

Having said that I'm sure these wheels are designed to get a slice of the market trend for deep section wheels. And the name is awfully tacky for Campag.
Last edited by milroy on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

milroy wrote:And the name is awfully tacky for Campag.

Name recycling? They already had the name from the old shifters. If the decals are the same as current Campag wheels they're easily removed.
As you say the weight matches / betters the competition and throw in quality hubs they're certainly worth considering.

kervelo

by kervelo

The non-ultra version of the bullet wheels seem to have cheaper hubs.
http://road.cc/content/image/40330-camp ... ont-hubjpg
http://road.cc/content/image/40331-camp ... ear-hubjpg

Those hubs look like the hubs from the current Scirocco wheels.
http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/fo ... zo-ant.jpg
http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/fo ... o-post.jpg

The bullet ultra hubs seem to be the nice ones currently used starting from the Zonda level.

Giant DK

by Giant DK

I have a set of the Bullet Ultra 50 right now. This version looks like they have the hubs of the Bora One but upgraded with CULT bearings (this hub also looks like. They runs ultra smooth like nothing else I have ever tried.
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Giant DK, can you confirm the weight please?

Giant DK

by Giant DK

1654 gram for the set.

My Simplon Pavo II

Willier

by Willier

Can you please post photos of them on the bike?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

:mrgreen: Hi,

Campa, bring back the old Shamal on a diet, please... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Giant DK

by Giant DK

Sorry, too late :( After around 500 km on them I delieved them back yesterday for stiffness meassuring and photoshooting. I return I got a set of Shimano Dura-Ace WH-7900-C50-CL too test :wink:

My Simplon Pavo II

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Giant DK wrote:1654 gram for the set.

Thanks. Can you give me front / rear weights please and was it the two-way fit version?

Willier

by Willier

So, does anybody got them? I would like to know how do they ride compared to the Cosmic SL`s
Oh, and some photos of them on the bike would be nice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neeb

by neeb

Giant DK wrote:Sorry, too late :( After around 500 km on them I delieved them back yesterday for stiffness meassuring and photoshooting. I return I got a set of Shimano Dura-Ace WH-7900-C50-CL too test :wink:

It'd be really interesting to know the results of those tests - have they been published yet?

Anyone who has these wheels - esp. the Bullet Ultra 50s or Fulcrum Red Wind XLR 50s - please post weights and tell us how they ride! :)

Can't find any reviews yet, other than this one from bike radar of the standard (heavier) Bullets. Looks positive though -

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/review-fulcrum-red-wind-h50-clincher-wheelset-12-45672