Campagnolo Neutron for winter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fitty4

by fitty4

I have been looking at campagnolo neutron for a while and I need a new set of training wheels, I want some wheels that a tough enough for the winter and I want them to be fairly light, responsive and stiff and i have heard so much good stuff about the neutron but can they last through winters?

finner

by finner

I have been using Neutrons for the last two years and no issues. Lots of rain, rough chip and seal roads. I stripped the rear hub a while back as I needed to change the freehub, shimano, and the bearings were perfect. I was very impressed with the seals, looks like they were doing an excellent job. They are a popular choice as a good training/allround wheel and other than the odd adlustment to the cones, simple, they seem trouble free. I don't think you can go wrong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Actually, I ride nothing else during the Winter season. Have two identical sets of Neutrons (tubular version) and absolutely love them.
For some reason they're also easier to climb with than my otherwise lighter Boras.
Higher vertical compliance perhaps?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Be sure to use decent soft compound pads & to clean out the hubs once in a while to get max life span out the rims & bearings / cone faces. The hub seals are good, but they will dry up internally over time so need to be opened up say every 1500km to freshen things up. With that foreword yeah, they'll work fine for you.

The prices seem to vary a lot. At the lower price of around 380GBP you could do something pretty similiar but which would be slightly easier to maintain / work on when & if they deteriorate (the hub is likely to outlast the rim by a few times over esp' if your braking a lot in bad weather).

Alternatives on the lower end would be record hub (180GBP/pr) & open sport (50GBP/pr) + spokes & build. In reality the weight would end up pretty similiar to the neutron in the > 1600g bracket, but it'd be slightly more economic and easier for the LBS to sort out for you - no special spokes or hex key nips to have to source.

I can't tell the difference between a clincher at 1500g and 1600g in use, so have stopped really being bothered about weight for a training wheel as long as its the right side of 1650g (i.e. not too outright porky) - hence suggesting a mid-weight rim that has a nice brake track & a non-too hefty price tag.

For a longer term build perhaps consider spending slightly more on the alternative h/built options with ceramic rims which would deteriorate far less over the course of a winter with bad gritty stuff eating away at your brake tracks. You'd need to get the ceramic rims from a reliable source though as some guys seem to pick up bad batches of those rims. They are worth it though if looking for a reliable all weather, winter long rim - I'm running rims now that have done 5yrs odd with all winter service on them.

MARLON

by MARLON

My favorit Training wheelset ever for the whole year.
Durabel, bullet proof, stiff and light...and cheap.
BACK IN BLACK

fitty4

by fitty4

mr_tim wrote:
The prices seem to vary a lot. At the lower price of around 380GBP you could do something pretty similiar but which would be slightly easier to maintain / work on when & if they deteriorate (the hub is likely to outlast the rim by a few times over esp' if your braking a lot in bad weather).

Alternatives on the lower end would be record hub (180GBP/pr) & open sport (50GBP/pr) + spokes & build. In reality the weight would end up pretty similiar to the neutron in the > 1600g bracket, but it'd be slightly more economic and easier for the LBS to sort out for you - no special spokes or hex key nips to have to source.

I can get the neutrons for 321GBP with shipping included so I set my mind on those. Thanx for you advice and I have also thought about som mavic open pro ceramic for the winter/training but I heard to much good stuff about neutron that I have to try them

rossb

by rossb

The only thing to mention about Neutrons is that they are very tough to get tyres on and off. Otherwise, great wheels.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

rossb wrote:The only thing to mention about Neutrons is that they are very tough to get tyres on and off. Otherwise, great wheels.

This isn't a neutron thing- its just a campag rim foible- pick what tyres you use :wink:

The older neutrons would be better; i dont think the new ones come with greaseport do they?
Official cafe stop tester

mr_tim

by mr_tim

You can fix this tight tire problem with chalk powder or talc on the inner faces of the tire & on the tube itself.

Tire will fit onto the rim with just your thumbs.

Birillo

by Birillo

The only thing to mention about Neutrons is that they are very tough to get tyres on and off. Otherwise, great wheels.

I know what you mean, but it helps if you have the right tyre levers. The yellow Michelin levers are the best. They have a hook profile that seems to grab the bead and lift the tyre off in a jiffy. Unlike some I've tried (and driven me mad).

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The older neutrons would be better; i dont think the new ones come with greaseport do they?

They don't but do you actually use the greaseports?

Ciao, ;)

bluesea

by bluesea

Hi,
First post.

I'd ordered a set of (non-Ultra) Neutrons from Shiny a couple of months ago for 352 GBP shipped, and they definitely have the semi-circular band/w plug in the center of both hubs. Not that I've ever used the grease ports in the past...

SLAKKIE

by SLAKKIE

You also can try the Chamsins ans very cheap to!

fitty4 wrote:I have been looking at campagnolo neutron for a while and I need a new set of training wheels, I want some wheels that a tough enough for the winter and I want them to be fairly light, responsive and stiff and i have heard so much good stuff about the neutron but can they last through winters?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

bluesea wrote:Not that I've ever used the grease ports in the past...

Nor should you ever.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

That deserves an explanation.

Ciao, ;)