Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:48 pm 

Hey guys.

I've just spent forever trying to sift through data regarding wheels, rims spokes and hubs and.....short of sticking hot needles into my eyes....am struggling to get any sense any time quickly. So much choice so little clarity.

So I thought I'd ask you guys if you can assist...Wheel builders have the inside gen. Hope you can help.

I am looking for a 700c (622BSD) wheelset that I can build myself that...for a full wheelset...comes in around the 1400g - 1600g. As economically as possible.

Here's the brief:

1. I want to build the wheel myself.
2. Mid section aero.
3. Not into an all black look - ideally alloy and shiny but happy to compromise with a shiny ally brake surface and some black as well.Looks do play a little bit of a part.
4. budget: Here is the tough part damned cheap as possible. between £300 & £500. Feck knows if that works or not.
5. Campag cassette at the rear.
6. 1400g target. Okay with 1500g...anymore than that and reluctantly I would accept if there is no other option.
7. Ideally clincher...might be okay going tubs......Tubeless....sorry am too old fashioned for this leap of faith.

Any pointers advice from the collective know how out there would be welcomed...

:)

Gutsy Fungus

On a related topic... best balance between cost and weight for rubber on the road too? I appreciate some latex inners and a good tyre can provide big savings.

Apologies for being a wheel and tyre noob.....thanking for your assistance in advance.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:48 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:48 am 

Kinlin XR31 to Bitex hubs with CX-Rays will put you at around 1500g and be close on aero at reasonable yaw angles to a mid/shallow carbon wheel.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:54 am 

Unfortunately it is very hard to find silver rims aftermarket. Hunt wheels seem to have spotted this as a gap - they have a new set of polished alloy hoops based around the Kinlin XR31 which fit your brief.

I get that you may want to build them yourself - I do this for the simple pleasure of making something. However it's absolutely not a money saving exercise - I could have picked up an extra shift or two at work, paid a professional to build them for me and still have some time and money spare!

There is no need to draw a distinction between tubeless and clincher - recent rims fit both, it is the tyre that is tubeless capable or not.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:54 pm 

h son plus archetype could be the right amount of silver, it is also possible to make a complete wheelset about 1450 gram with 20-24 spokes within your budget

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:17 pm 

wrote:
I get that you may want to build them yourself - I do this for the simple pleasure of making something. However it's absolutely not a money saving exercise -

Yup. I like to build them myself. It's the pleasure and knowing you have done it yourself. I also like to tie and solder the spokes too (where practical).
Just built up a 1952 steel frame with a modern groupset and this will take it 9.5kg with the correct tyre and inners selection. The 27" wheels at the moment are top class. Don;t get me wrong. The 700c 622 BSD option is a easier option as I use the bike as a daily commute; 27" wheelsets are very limited in selection!
All silver groupset and wheels so ideally a polished silver wheelset too.

I really appreciate the steer gents. Specially the silver wheels, I'll be investigating those. Some great options there.

Guys, you guys are great!!!!! Many thanks!

Gutsy Fungus!

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:17 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 pm 

Spent the day crunching some numbers and getting a feel for what is available and what I like.
Thought I would share...

Hubs and spokes in silver: no problem. For what I am looking for the Bitex RAR 12 appears very attractive as do a set of Sapim CX-Ray Aero spokes. Whilst the spokes are pricey... they have good reviews, are light and aero too!
So far so good.

The rims are where it starts to get difficult on aesthetic grounds.
I was after silver rims. The best I arrived at was the H Plus Son Archetype Road Rim. This came in at 1496g & £355.76.
Attachment:
700c option1-H Plus Son Archetype Road.jpg
700c option1-H Plus Son Archetype Road.jpg [ 117.11 KiB | Viewed 49 times ]
Unfortunately the silver option only goes down to 28 hole. In contrast, the
back Archetype rim goes down to 24 holes. Built up it comes in at 1460g & £327.4
Attachment:
700c black option2-H Plus Son Archetype Road.jpg
700c black option2-H Plus Son Archetype Road.jpg [ 117.13 KiB | Viewed 49 times ]
If I were to reconsider my obsession for silver options, this build might swing me: It's the HUNT Race Aero Rim black coming in at an impressive 1382g & £355.74...
Attachment:
700c black option3-Hunt Aeros.jpg
700c black option3-Hunt Aeros.jpg [ 115.86 KiB | Viewed 49 times ]
just where did silver go wrong? It's shiny and pleasing!

Comments welcomed.
Gutsy Fungus