Enve Foundation 45 vs 4.5

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
photocycler

by photocycler

Building up a Fray and looking to have more road oriented build for speed. Debating between the more expensive 4.5 and cheaper foundation 45. I wish the 45's had a wider profile, that is the biggest hangup right now but wondering if the 4.5 are really that much better that it will warrant twice the price?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

photocycler wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:29 pm
Building up a Fray and looking to have more road oriented build for speed. Debating between the more expensive 4.5 and cheaper foundation 45. I wish the 45's had a wider profile, that is the biggest hangup right now but wondering if the 4.5 are really that much better that it will warrant twice the price?
Quick answer : no, it won't warrant twice the price.

Longer answer: it's up to you to decide whether the supposed "improvements" are worth the upcharge. Foundation rims are heavier and narrower, hubs are lower spec, and uses heavier spokes. What each of those improvements are worth will be calculated based off your own inner valuation.

That being said, unless you're getting a big discount or have a personal proclivity for Enve there's other possibly better options for the money, with lots of info on this board.

photocycler

by photocycler

yinzerniner wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:44 pm
photocycler wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:29 pm
Quick answer : no, it won't warrant twice the price.

Longer answer: it's up to you to decide whether the supposed "improvements" are worth the upcharge. Foundation rims are heavier and narrower, hubs are lower spec, and uses heavier spokes. What each of those improvements are worth will be calculated based off your own inner valuation.

That being said, unless you're getting a big discount or have a personal proclivity for Enve there's other possibly better options for the money, with lots of info on this board.
I will admit, I am being silly. I have a set of Zipp 303 FC which I love, I do wish they were a little deeper but I am having a hard time putting Zipp wheels on a ENVE frame that has ENVE Stem and ENVE bars...I know its totally ridiculuous

pushpush

by pushpush

I'm a fan of Enve products and the way they stand behind their products.

My 4.5s built up with 240 hubs sit on a shelf and haven't been ridden in a year. They are heavy wheels with a lot of flex. I can't imagine going back to them on my quick bike. I've also gravitated back towards hooked wheels. That may or may not matter to you.

I keep them around with the idea that I'll do an allroad/gravel build and use them there. Projects..... lol

johnpuga1982

by johnpuga1982

I have the Foundation 45 which I paid $1,400 plus tax and the Foundation 65 which I paid under $1,000 while on sale. Having both sets of wheels I can run the 45s upfront and the 65s in the rear to give a similar setup to the SES 4.5. As others have said, they are "heavy" compared to what you can buy now at a similar price, but I do feel they are built well.

I'm happy with both sets of wheels and like being able to use various wheel configurations based on the terrain.