Any Love for the Specialized S-Works Turbo (non-Cotton) Tires?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
JuniperBostwanaJones

by JuniperBostwanaJones

Curious if anyone has ridden them back to back with other favorites (GP5000s, Power Cups, Turbo Cottons) and how they stack.

They're readily available at my favourite LBS so easy to replace when one wears out.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

JuniperBostwanaJones wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:18 am
Curious if anyone has ridden them back to back with other favorites (GP5000s, Power Cups, Turbo Cottons) and how they stack.

They're readily available at my favourite LBS so easy to replace when one wears out.
If you look at the BRR review and comparisons with the GP 5000s TR and the Vittoria Corsa Pro's, the Specialized tire does far better in puncture protection than the others, it has about equivalent grip, is competitive in weight, and has the best tread cover of them all.

But it is quite a bit slower in rolling resistance compared to those believed top 2 tires. The rolling resistance is significant enough that Pro teams often still run the Turbo Cottons with tubes so they aren't at too much of a disadvantage. So if you care about maximal marginal gains, they are a little underwhelming, but by over other metric they are good all round tires. They consistently test about 3w slower than the Vittorias, about 4w to the Continentals.

That said I'd be curious to hear real world reviews of how they feel. I find the Vittoria's more comfortable and softer than the Continentals, so if the Specialized tire's are similarly good, they'd make for a really nice overall training tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

Compared to GP5000 STR 25c, I hate the ride feel of S-Works Turbo 2BR 26c (last gen, non-T2/T5).

Though they grips better, but with the same psi, they are too harsh on crappy roads, and thus I need to reduce 10~15 psi. Also, they are pretty unstable in the x-wind, the only tyre I've used making LB AR56 that unstable. (I've used GP5000 TLR/STR, Pro One, P Zero race TLR, and Comtura 5 TR on the same wheel)

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

Great tires. Some of my fav's but they do wear pretty fast.
I run GP5K's and Corsas. The SWorks Turbos are similar. Between all of them, I just get whatever is cheaper.

c50jim

by c50jim

The only other tire I've owned on your list is the GR5000. I had bought six of them when you could still get tires cheap from the UK. As the first set was wearing out, I sold the other four tires and put on Turbos which I think have a better ride and are a lot easier to fit onto my Roval rims.