HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:38 am 

Hi,
some discussion in another thread about putting thinner tyres on wider rims, such as new Bora 35's. Some food for thought for me as I am off on a charity ride tomorrow. 1st time on my new Bora One 35's which have the wider rim.

Not by design but rather because I am ignorant and I like the tyres I stuck some old 21 mm tyres on these brand new rims. At the time they were the only tyres I had other than unstretched sprinters. Since I did this some Vittoria Pave's 25 mm have turned up.

Here is a photo of the bike and the tyre close up

and front on

The issue put to me by others was that perhaps the narrower tyre might lack contact at the edge of the wide rim, and that also to use a narrow tyre pressure would be so high that perhaps comfort would be reduced. Especially for a heavier rider which I am.

These both sound like valid points to me.

I had a look at the manual for the wheels and Campag say something to the effect of

"when you mount the tyre, pump it up after its glued and make sure the tyre isn't pulling away from the rim"

There does no appear to be any other mention of appropriate tyre width (no range for example).

On the web I found the following from http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Implicat ... _2803.html. Note this was in context of having just said one need to be careful with clincher tyre width and clincher rims.

"For tubular users, the good news is that this whole discussion is essentially out the window. By nature of the physical connection of tire and rim, tubular tire size doesn’t matter nearly as much when it comes to this width safety concern. Run a 22mm tubular tire on a 27 or 28mm wide rim if you like. Plenty of people do this today by pairing, say, a Continental Competition tire with a Hed Stinger 5 or Reynolds RZR 92."

I take some consolation in this but more from that the short test ride I just did and the fact that an inspection shows the tyres aren't pulling away from the rims at ~ 120 psi. But I'm still a little apprehensive.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:49 am 

They look fine :)

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:49 am 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:59 pm 

@mrgray. Can you photograph your wheels at a 45 degree angle to better show the tire/rim interface? Thanks.
I read the Slowtwich article you mentioned above. They recommended using similar sized rim widths on your training and racing wheels so you don't have to adjust the brake caliper width every time you change your wheels. I don't this this would be a big deal going from my Shamals (20.5mm) to Boras (24.2mm). Maybe just a barrel adjustment?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:42 am 

Hi Fogman,
is this what you were after?

It would be a pain to have different sized rims as the adjustment (of brake width) between my old rims and these new ones was quite an effort (for me in any case). I'm not a racer and so I will just leave the new wide ones on for everything.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:41 am 

Those tires look bigger than 21mm. Have you measured them?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:14 am 

they measure about 22 mm or a tad less.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:14 am