Does Chris King hub worth the premium over Enve Alloy hub?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
niftyz

by niftyz

Hi Guys, looking for my first expensive wheelset purchase with the new Enves ses 4.5
Does the chris king hub worth the money over the standard enve alloy hub ?
Would not want to regret later on
TIA!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

niftyz wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:56 am
Hi Guys, looking for my first expensive wheelset purchase with the new Enves ses 4.5
TIA!
You can get ENVE rims laced to whatever hubs you want via wheelbuilders. I would not choose CK personally, they don't prioritize the features I want.

For colorful ano hubs, I'd rather go White Industries. Simpler design, somewhat lighter, easier to maintain. For convenience, DT Swiss would be the way to go.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I would pass on CK and I have multiple sets of them. Specifically, their hubs ruined my time descend Whiteface mtn in Lake Placid because the rear hub developed play during the ride and I had the worst most terrifying wobble on the steep descent. I had been making sure to tighten up the preload regularly but it still just happens as they break in. The loss of an awesome ride really pissed me off. And that they dumped Campy while pedaling a campaign of small batch builders and components etc.

Enve hub gets you any groupset you want and a simple free hub swap plus no issue with preload.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

spud

by spud

I don't have anything against CK. But they are somewhat exotic, heavy, and don't solve any particular problem. I've also seen a radial wheel from Enve rip the flange off a front CK hub. How you spend your $ is up to you, but they won't make you faster, or make the bike any better.

polpy

by polpy

i love my chris king hubs and i certainly prefer them over DT, but that is purely based on the sound and aesthetics of the hubs.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

King hubs are nice but they are overbuilt and more complex than a rear hub needs to be. They won't do you wrong and you will need to do some more maintenance work that will require some specialized King tools but they are a nice hub.

If you want a 'set it and forget it' type of rear hub, go with DT240 hubs.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

pass on them
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

wilwil

by wilwil

Waste of money. I use Campag and they no longer support Campag probably because most Campag users already have excellent hubs. Apart from that they just seem way to complicated compared to Campag hubs which run and run. I have them because I bought a wheelset for a good price some time ago. For some reason the 11S Record rear mech almost touches the spokes when in the largest sprocket so Im not sure if the spacing is correct.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

wilwil wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:45 am
Waste of money. I use Campag and they no longer support Campag probably because most Campag users already have excellent hubs. Apart from that they just seem way to complicated compared to Campag hubs which run and run. I have them because I bought a wheelset for a good price some time ago. For some reason the 11S Record rear mech almost touches the spokes when in the largest sprocket so Im not sure if the spacing is correct.
One of the reasons King stopped offering Campy FH bodies was because their design - based as it is around the Shimano FH design - necessitated too many compromises to accommodate Campy properly. They had too many FH bodies crack and, for the volume of Campy hubs they sold, figured it simply wasn't worth supporting that design.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

I have three wheelsets with CK hubs and love ow easy they are to service. I would definitely buy them again.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

Cemicar

by Cemicar

My complaints about R45D hubs are, not to mention the price and the weight, you have to remove the cap before replacing the rotor, it lacks an easy way to unthread the hubs (for R45 you can do with hex wrenches, but 45D in the worst case may require a vise) and the rear hub is so bulky likes of the Garmin speed sensor doesn't fit. They are good of course but not as overhyped.

jadedaid

by jadedaid

I have both DT and CK wheels, and greatly prefer the DT hubs. Given the choice, I'd go for CK over the Enve standards though.

EugeneC

by EugeneC

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:26 am
niftyz wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:56 am
TIA!
You can get ENVE rims laced to whatever hubs you want via wheelbuilders. I would not choose CK personally, they don't prioritize the features I want.

For colorful ano hubs, I'd rather go White Industries. Simpler design, somewhat lighter, easier to maintain. For convenience, DT Swiss would be the way to go.
Did some digging after reviews of CK hubs, and stumbled across this topic. What do you think CK hubs are lacking?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

EugeneC wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:10 pm

Did some digging after reviews of CK hubs, and stumbled across this topic. What do you think CK hubs are lacking?

Easy serviceability. Common bearing sizes. The oversized rear hubshell driveside bearing is basically a CK-only part.

EugeneC

by EugeneC

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:14 pm
EugeneC wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:10 pm

Easy serviceability. Common bearing sizes. The oversized rear hubshell driveside bearing is basically a CK-only part.
Yeah, I get that. But I'm having a hard time sourcing the DT Swiss Complete Hub Tool Kit, while the CK tool kit is actually available.

https://chrisking.com/products/universal-hub-tool

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/produc ... b-tool-kit

The new DT tool kit is more than three times the price and not easy to source.

While CK bearings are harder to source, I've pretty much given up on getting my hands on the DT Swiss Complete Hub Tool Kit. And I'm definitely not paying 900 USD for the tools.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com