Nipple washers

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bobones

by bobones

I'm having to rebuild a wheel on to a new hub. The wheels were originally built with thin concave nipple washers, but I got significant water ingress into the rims during wet rides, and from what I've read, nipple washers are the likely reason because the seal isn't so tight around the spoke holes. The rims are pretty solid carbon jobs, so do you think it would be OK to rebuild them without the washers to make them more watertight? I am not particularly heavy and I've never had a problem with wheels built without nipples before.

Beebsta

by Beebsta

1. Might be better and you might get more answers if you post here viewtopic.php?f=132&t=74564&start=7020
2. I would be too scare to build and true wheels built without nipple washers. I have seen wheels ruined because tensioning the spokes lead to the nipple cracking the rim and those were scenarios were washers were added. But I am no expert in building wheels :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

Ok, thanks, I ended up rebuilding with the washers just to be on the safe side.