HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299 ... 331  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:22 am 

Good suggestion, I might try a set of those. My technique so far has been to mark the spokes with a felt tip so I can observe the twist, but it's not a perfect system.

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:22 am 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:26 pm 
Shop Owner

Compensating for twist is something that can be relatively difficult to get perfect. I've been building wheels full time for 5 years now and I still struggle sometimes with compensating perfectly for every spoke.

This is one of the many reasons why proper stress relief is so important!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:57 pm 

So during my wheel build, how often do you suggest I should stress relieve the wheel in order to aid with the spoke wind up? I guess that that each time the wheel is stress relieved the spokes are able to unwind and creep back into being straight?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:55 pm 

I do one really through stress relieve when the wheel is still some under final tension and a couple quick ones (squeezing pairs of spokes) after that.
There has to be enough tension on the spokes so you can momentarily overtension them past what they'd get when fully tensioned. Besides removing windup you're also seating the spokes in the hub and adjusting the elbow bend. But if you wait til the spokes are at full tension then you don't have room to get the wheel true again as you add more tension. Yea you could true it up by loosening and tightening like you would with a finished wheel but I like to make everything come together at the same time- when the wheel reaches final tension it's also true.

For stress releiving I squeeze the spokes together (see Sheldon Brown) and use a screwdriver to force the spoke crossings (also Sheldon). I adjust the elbow bend before that but if it needs more I'll do that too. I sometimes put the wheel on the floor on a pad and gently put side force on the rim (also described by Sheldon) but I'm not sure how good that is for hub bearings.

If the spokes tink when you first ride the wheels then you didn't stress relieve enough.

The twist-resist spoke holder tool I use is really nice but you'd expect that for a tool that expensive. Being spring loaded makes it easy to use.
They come in right and left handed versions depending on how you build wheels. I'm right handed but I use a left handed twist resist. Spoke wrench goes in my right hand.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:21 pm 
in the industry

I find wind up rarely an issue even with Laser's. Even when it happens a bit repeated stress relieving get rid of the problem. I did find today on a build on a couple of spokes but no drama and nothing to worry about. If it happens to a big extent then I did not lubriate enough. I sometimes find changing the nipple helps as some nipples or spokes just do not like each other.

I do the first relieve at about 3/4 tension and I do 3-4 rounds to stretch the spokes as much as my hands allow. I normally see a tension drop at this point. I then dish and bring to full tension and true and the stress relieve and if the wheel moves a bit and true and stress relieve again and repeat that process until the wheel no longer moves when loaded. In the end all wheels will settle down and it is ready when stress the wheel does not cause movement. I do not flag spokes to see wind up as I see know need, correct and stress it will settle down in it's own time. I spent nearly 2 hours getting a build with no wind any where (XR-200 with lasers) to settle down and not move after stressing. Sometimes it takes time. On other builds it take no time at all. Generally I find the archetype quick to build with.

You will also doing this know if you are passed the tension limit of the rims as it just won't settle down as the wheel will move after stressing. In this case drop the tension by a quarter turn and see if it settles down.

The main thing is do not panic when building and make small incremental changes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:57 am 

With regards to my powertap g3 and open pro build with 32 spokes, should I use DT competition or revolution spokes? The revs are about 48g lighter, which seems well worth having, but is there going to be a significant strength / reliability trade?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:18 pm 

For powertap build, I'd not recommend 100% DT revolution. At minimum you could do Rev on NDS and Comp on DS. Or forego minor weight savings and use Comps all round. Or arguably even better, consider Wheelsmith DB-14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:45 pm 

Anyone been caught out by having been sent a couple of wrong spoke lenghts in a set ? Just noticed in during my wheel build a few not having the same tension and then measured them against a few others and they were a few millimeters longer.:evil:

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:50 pm 

Thanks eric and bm0p700f for some solid info! At this point all parts are in and I hope to start the build sometime next week. Weights are as following:

-20h rim - 482gr
-24h rim - 479gr
-Nipples - 43gr
-Spokes - 213gr
-Hubs - 60gr front and 231gr rear

Looks like the wheel set should be a hair over 1500gr.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:27 pm 

rich00 wrote:
Anyone been caught out by having been sent a couple of wrong spoke lenghts in a set ? Just noticed in during my wheel build a few not having the same tension and then measured them against a few others and they were a few millimeters longer.:evil:

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

It happened from time to time:)

so before build check spokes if they are correct length

click this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m8maAO-m-w

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:32 am 
Shop Owner

@plpete- Usually I find that I end up stress relieving a wheel 6-8 times during a wheel build. After I add tension and make it all the way back to the valve hole I'll stress relieve, then repeat.

You'll know you've stress relieved enough when you deflect the spokes and the wheel doesn't go out of true/dish.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:01 am 

Great. Thanks Zen! I will be doing the build tuesday evening and will be building with the head mechanic side by side as he has a set to build as well. Very stoked and will try to take some photos of the process.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:00 pm 

New wheels, based on NOS campagnolo strada XL rims and novatec hubs, nothing too fancy but it should get me through few winters. Not WW by any standards, only the rear wheel is more heavy than my carbon 24mm wheels lol. They are 36spokes though and still the weight is 1800gr. I dig the looks too, quite retro.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:46 pm 

I had the chance to get started on my build last night. Really enjoying the experience so far! By no means should below be used as a guide, as this is my very first build, but just wanted to share with others thinking about building their own wheel set. The process takes a good amount of attention to detail if you want to do a good job. Patience is key too. Before I got started with my own build I helped to cut and thread some blank spokes for another build that my friend was doing with me.

This was a neat tool that cut the spokes to the correct lenght and then threaded them

Once I had all the spokes ready I separated the ones for the front wheel build and began to prep them with a spoke-prep compound. The secret is not to use too much as it will make trueing more difficult and make the nipples hard to turn.

Next step was to apply some grease to the spoke holes in the rim where the nipple would sit. This was supposed to help them sit evenly and prevent any metal on metal friction. Trueing should be easier too as the tension gets higher.

Next I began to lace the front wheel. Radial lacing was pretty simple and just as with any lacing getting the key spoke right is the most important part. A little detail that adds an extra touch is lining up the logo on the hub so that it can be seen through the valve hole.

At this point the front wheel was laced but everything was still very loose. I had the nipples screwed on most of the way in so they are just showing one thread of the spoke. Beer helped with the repetitive nature of lacing :lol:

Once I finished the front wheel I moved on to the rear which was a 2x lacing on both sides. A tip that I was given was to use two different colors of spoke prep for DS and NDS spokes so you don't make a mistake of using the wrong spoke on wrong side.

Rear wheel required more attention as the spokes braced at different angles, some spokes had to go in heads in and others heads out and making sure that the spokes cross correctly over and under. Here is a photo of the wheel coming together:

Once both wheels were laced I went ahead and tapped the spokes with a hammer and soft aluminium rod as shown below in order to seat the spokes at the heads. This process was repeated on both sides.

More to come...

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:46 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:45 am 
Shop Owner

Looks like an awesome build plpete! The Great Lakes beer is almost as necessary as a spoke wrench :) Let us know what you think of the build once you have a chance to ride them!

Go to page Previous  1 ... 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299 ... 331  Next