The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Patto

by Patto

IN my youth I did all my own bike maintenance. The only thing I didn't have any luck with was fixing buckled wheels. So when I got back into cycling and seen people were building their own wheels I couldn't resist. Started last week with

Ultegra 6800 hubs,
DT Swiss BD spokes,
DT Swiss R460 rims.
And Roger Musson's book.

Built the front and got a very pleasing result. I am hooked now.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

shimmeD wrote:Maybe a whacky question. Instead of throwing out the whole Campagnolo Proton front wheel (with busted rim) is it advisable/doable to use the 22-hole hub with a 20-hole rim? I'm thinking that the radial spokes may not be perfectly lined up but it shouldn't be too out of whack stress-wise for the rim and the hub (with 2 unused holes), no?

Not wacky.. one could 'get by' .. something for a rain day/winter slop bike in my world. One could go 18H rim and space the missing holes equally side to side.. say 12-3-6-9 o'clock positions.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Excellent suggestion 22-4=18: thanks WinterRider. :thumbup:
Less is more.

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

It has been a while since I asked about building my first set of wheels. The rear took me about 12 hours and then the front about 6 hours, but I am really happy with the result.

seve88

by seve88

Spoke length help.

Going to build 36h 3 cross Ryde Sputnik 700c using Shimano 7 speed cassette RM40 rear.

Don't have the components to measaure but want to get the spokes in quickly.

Anyone built previously and can inform me spoke lengths?

(if you are a UK trade wheel builder I will buy the spokes (Sapim or Dt Swiss silver double butted) from you if you answer)).

Thanks.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

seve88 wrote:Spoke length help.

Going to build 36h 3 cross Ryde Sputnik 700c using Shimano 7 speed cassette RM40 rear.

Don't have the components to measaure but want to get the spokes in quickly.

Anyone built previously and can inform me spoke lengths?

(if you are a UK trade wheel builder I will buy the spokes (Sapim or Dt Swiss silver double butted) from you if you answer)).

Thanks.

Found 2 different ERD's for this rim; 600 and 607.
Might have to physically measure yourself to be sure.
For 607 i calculated @ L293.8 R292.7
and for 600 L290.3 R289.2
Official cafe stop tester

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I'm looking at either building a set of CX wheels on the new open pros or buying a set of Zipp course 30 disc. My frameset has 12x100 and 142x12 thru axles. I'm actually amazed at how many hubs are not offered in 12x100 for the front. I was debating finding hubs that I could change to 15x100 (on the front) for use on my MTB for some of the more aggressive gravel races in the area.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

F45

by F45

Dt 350, Hope Pro, Sram 900 are all quality budget options with interchangeable end caps for 12mm, 15mm, or qr. Dt 240 or White Ind if you want to spend more money.

kupkake

by kupkake

I'm looking to build some training wheels, I'm eyeing up a Kinlin XR31T kit from BDop, but need some solid resources for building road wheels. I did build a few BMX wheels back in my early teens, but its been a quite a while since.. Do you guys have and guides or resources you recommend? 20H/24H, Radial Front, 2x Rear.

ooo

by ooo

I have to replace 6 of 24 spokes (half on one side, 2x lacing both side)
Currently all spokes are bladed with 2.2x0.95 center section
Is it ok to replace 6 spokes with wider blade section 2.3x1.5?
tension should be the same, nothing special about that?
'

Multebear

by Multebear

ooo wrote:I have to replace 6 of 24 spokes (half on one side, 2x lacing both side)
Currently all spokes are bladed with 2.2x0.95 center section
Is it ok to replace 6 spokes with wider blade section 2.3x1.5?
tension should be the same, nothing special about that?

But why would you do that? Do you have problems sourcing the right ones?
Last edited by Multebear on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

kupkake wrote:Do you guys have and guides or resources you recommend?

I bought and like the Professional Guide to Wheel Building e-book by Roger Musson.

Multebear

by Multebear

Lightweenie wrote:It has been a while since I asked about building my first set of wheels. The rear took me about 12 hours and then the front about 6 hours, but I am really happy with the result.

This is a very reasonable piece of training equipment. Kudos. Perfect balance between durability and price in choice of components. And well done. When you get another couple of wheelsets done, your 18 hours of work will get down to 3-4 hours.

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Thanks everyone!

I am already thinking about building my next wheelset. The ultegra/DT-Swiss one is on my commuter, and on my good bike I have carbon tubulars wheels. It is quite fiddly whenever I want to use the turbo trainer. I prefer to use the good bike with it, since it has a powermeter, but carbon tubulars are not the best option so usually i have to swap cassettes and wheels on the two bikes each time. I was thinking to build a clincher aluminum wheelset for the good bike, mainly for the turbo trainer, but also when I am travelling with the bike and don't have the luxury of gluing tubulars in case of a flat. Here is my rough plan:

- Front hub: I have a nice 94gr front radial 24H FRM that I would like to use.
- Rear hub: I was thinking about something solid, but not too heavy, and with 28H at around $150. I can unfortunately find the DT 350 only with 32H. Any ideas/recommendations?
- Spokes/Nipples: Most likely I will go with DT Competitions and ProLock nipples again.
- Rims: I want to run the wheels with 25mm or 28mm tires. What would you recommend?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Rims kinlins hub miche, hope or novatec f172 there are a few other novatec hubs that would suit, i just can't remem er there names.