The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
LouisN

by LouisN

Hi,

Sorry to ask again, as this is probably somewhere in this thread (can't find it... :noidea: )...

Can someone provide me the Powertap Pro 2011 (older version) road hub dimensions ?

powertap hub dimensions for spoke calc:
center to flange - L = 31.7mm, R = 17.4mm
Flange dia. = 70mm L & R

Are these correct ?

Thanks guys :beerchug:

Louis :)
Last edited by LouisN on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

1100kgf or just under 1100N is a low tension limit for any rim. Rim like this need will always give low NDS tensions is a rear hub with wide flange spacings are used. To build sucessfully I would strongly recomend a spoke tension gauge like my new toy the Sapim tension gauge (or the Park one if you are on a budget) to ensure even spoke tension. Personally I prefer the XR300, it may be heavier but can take 1200N DS tension. I would not use a low tension rim for any rider who says they are aggressive and is prone to powerful outbursts of speed as the chance of NDS spoke going slack goes up.

kavitator

by kavitator

wheelsets with xr200 rim are ok - many 24/28 are no problem fro 75-80kg riders. But with this rim always is hard get perfect even tension

Much better is Xr-300 - perfect even tension and with 24/28 spokes it is very stiff

I ride StanNoTubes ZTR Olympic rims on MTB bike - 26"
They have max spoke tension 110kg - i build them with WheelFanatyk tensiometer on 100-110kg and after hard rides (4 months 2-5times per week) in forest they are still like new (tension is same as new and) - but it is 32 spoke wheelset.
I am 82kg rider

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@Louis- The specifications that you have in your post are correct.

kavitator- I agree with you about the 200. I have always had difficulty getting those to be perfect true, and I've found that the XR270 and 300 are much easier to build on.

xis

by xis

Considering all comments, I decided that I will no longer build wheels with the XR-200 rims, unless I would just do Long Slow Distance in moderate mode. I do fartlek training sessions and race simulation which includes fast accelerations, fast responses and demands strong wheels, and I cannot tolerate torsion and low spoke tension, etc... For now, I gave up building a lightweight wheel set. Instead, I'll buy a pair of strong middleweight wheels. I will buy books to learn more about the art of building wheels to get all necessary knowledge and I'll read this thread completely.
Thanks for all, buddies!!!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Odd that, as the XR 200's in 28 hole form I have found very easy to round and straight with even tension. Maybe I got lucky with the rims. Going with a heavy rim XIS is not a bad idea. I feel I have to treat my XR200 wheelset with care but that is O.K with me.

1500g for wheelset is light enough.

xis

by xis

Hi, bm0p700f. Yes, it's not a bad idea. But I found really good options of mounted versatile wheels weighing about 1500g for every day use. It will give me enough time for learning more about wheel building, because I still want to build very lightweight and strong wheels one day!

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Guys,

Am looking to build up a set of climbing wheels for my yearly alpine adventures, was thinking Extralite SL2 and SLX hubs laced to Stans Alpha 340’s. I’m 75-80kg (165-175lbs), so my question is should I go for 20/24 or 24/28? I like light, but i also don't want to break them!

Brass nipples and Sapim X-ray, radial the front and 2x the rear (probably)

Thanks
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

thprice

by thprice

bikewithnoname wrote: ... Am looking to build up a set of climbing wheels for my yearly alpine adventures, ... Extralite ... Stans Alpha 340’s ... 20/24 or 24/28?

I am similar weight to you and did some alpine work with Alpha's last year. Suggest the following:
- the Alpha's are soft hoops, 24/28 are needed
- alloy nipples all round are fine, brass on the DS if you want to
- lacing: radial front and 2x rear (both DS and NDS) is fine
- I used CX-Ray front and NDS, with Sapim Race on the DS to improve stiffness

that will be one light wheelset, enjoy

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Thanks! :thumbup:
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

eric

by eric

Louis- the PT hub dimensions vary depending on if it's a 12mm or 15mm axle. The numbers posted are for the 12mm. On the 15mm axle both flanges are shifted about 1.5mm to the left.

The 15mm axle has the press on axle caps; the older 12mm has what looks like adjustable cones that take a 17mm cone wrench (but the bearings on all except the very early ones are cartridge bearings).

I think the Pro is 15mm. My SL from 2008 is a 12mm.

xis

by xis

Thanks, Thprice! :D I see a reason to try this set! As a newbie, I didn't know that I could mix different spokes in the same project! That's great! I'll consider that in my project. :beerchug:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Disaster, my two week old Sapim tension gauge failed today. The dial gauge retrn spring has failed so it no longer works. I'll have to send it back. Shame I really liked it.

bc sparks

by bc sparks

I'm looking into building a new racing wheelset for myself. I'm a bigger guy, ~85kg, and so I have been using sapim race spokes on my rear wheel to keep them nice 'n' stiff. But for this race wheel set I'd like bladed spokes all around. I'm planning cx ray for the front wheel, and I'd like a spoke for the rear wheel that is as stiff as a sapim race and as aero as a cx ray. I've seen references to the sapim cx speed but I haven't been able to find them for purchase in the USA. The other candidates I've found on line are DT Swiss Aero Comp and the Pillar PSR X-TRA 1425. The DT swiss seam to have limited availability and the pillars have no availability.

Are there good sources for getting any of these spokes in the USA, and are there other candidates that I should consider?

eric

by eric

Bdop cycling has pillar stuff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com