The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Derf

by Derf

Thanks, Eric!

Remeasured today by going nipple-to-nipple, adding 2x12mm, and got 529 mm, so I'll use that. Plan on using 14mm brass nipples as the rim bed is deep and I'm still "younger" in my wheelbuilding career.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If the spokes are the right length it does not matter what nipple material is used.

Derf

by Derf

From a strength perspective, I agree that a properly sized spoke will reinforce the nipple appropriately. I just find brass nipples easier to build up a wheel with at this point in my "career" than alloy ones. I make for a pretty terrible weight weenie. :)

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Do people think a 24h / 16:8 lacing on a BHS TB415w rim would be sufficient for a 74kg rider? Want to get a rear wheel to go with my DA-7801 alu tubular front.
The BHS rim seems to match best in terms of shape and depth, and the black colour can be removed (it is ~2mm wider though). Hubs will probably be Dura Ace as well. The front only has 16 spokes, so a low spoke rear would be a good match. Planning to put some 27mm tyres on them.

Or just go 28h 2x?

eric

by eric

28h 2x would be safer. But it depends on how you ride. For example I'm 65kg but kill rear wheels due to doing a lot of climbing and standing on climbs often.

An alterative would be a stiffer rim, which would make a stiffer wheel. Or if you want to do 2:1 lacing, using a hub designed for that with a wider NDS flange spacing.

With a normal hub I'd lace 1:1.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Thanks Eric. I seem to be very easy on gear, never breaking anything or causing premature wear. And that despite living in the mountains and having an affection for hill repeats. Probably I'm just not strong enough. (Also a bit of a Shimano boy, and not terribly into the uberflimsy gear, that might help also).

Thought the TB415w was considered sturdy? What else is there, other than the Major Tom, that's not shallow like the Nemesis? (The HED is a bit beyond what I had planned to spend.)

Zoro

by Zoro

eric wrote:28h 2x would be safer. But it depends on how you ride. ...

I'm 105kg and ride a 24 hole rear and 16 hole front. Was riding a 20h on a 200kg tandem. I did break a spoke on the tandem front 20h. Other than that - I'm fine.
As posted - it depends on how you ride (and if the wheels are built correctly).

Miller

by Miller

I've ordered a pair of the Farsports 60mm carbon clincher rim FSL60-CM-23. Web page indicates an ERD of 525mm. Can anyone confirm whether that dimension is accurate? So I can organise spokes in advance.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Does anyone know if the 24h TB415w is offset drilled (preventing 2:1 lacing)? Mailed BHS but to no avail. Thanks.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

BHS/Branden finally got back to me, saying the TB415w was drilled with slight offsets, but he would think it'd be ok for 2:1 lacing.

With that, would you recommend using a BHS 2:1 drilled SL210 hub, or Ultegra/Dura Ace to match my front wheel?

eric

by eric

I recommend using a hub with an extra wide NDS flange if you're doing 2:1. Otherwise it's less laterally stiff than 1:1, not more.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

As above 2:1 lacing works only on hubs specifically designed for it. Even the BHS/bitex 2:1 hub is a long way from optimal. Persoanlly unless you get Royce to custom make a hub for you like I did or ask Bitex to make 500 hubs with a 65mm flange separation maybe more then I would not bother with 2:1 lacing.

pushstart

by pushstart

I am curious why the fascination with 2:1 lacing. Are people experiencing problems with properly-built, sufficiently-spoked wheels using traditional 1:1 lacing patterns? Or is it just for fun? -- not that there is anything wrong with that, of course.

jooo

by jooo

It's pretty simple really... It can be a great way to deal with tension imbalance and the method has been used for donkeys years:

It keeps being mentioned that it's not particularly useful unless the hub has such a wide NDS that it's pretty useless for 'regular' lacing patterns.

Without opening up another can of worms, this seemed to be a great option for some people during it's short lived production run:

It seems like a bit of a shame that more manufacturers aren't interested in offering hubs/rims to suit when the concept has been proven to work so well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Hey thanks everyone. 28h 2x on both sides it is then, want to match the Shimano front hub.