The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
eric

by eric

You know the tokoyowheels are farsports, right? But at about double the price.

FarSports "edhubs" are 190g rear 66g front. Made by Bitex. The're good quality and weight for the price especially if you get them through FarSports rather than paying much more for them from Tokoyo.

You can also get different, lighter (but not as wide) rims.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Whit Industries T11 are easy to service but a little heavier at 345g/pair. Still not too heavy by any standard. I would not bother though and just use Miche, cheap easy to service (a bit heavier at 440g/pair) but as they come in 20F/24R drillings and cheap and very reliable what not to like.

Bitex hubs are not bad I think and there is Novatec A291/F582 SB-SL at 290g/pair.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Have a 32h silver Record front and wondering about lacing to a 24h carbon rim using a crow's foot pattern. It would have four groups of three spokes per side, with four spoke holes empty. I'm a bit nervous about both the empty hole and the radial spoke in each of the groups of three.

Anyone have any experience doing this, or recommendations pro/con with your thinking?

Thanks!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well given it a front wheel it has a greater chance of being a stable wheel. It is still a comprimse though and you will need more than one spoke lenght just on one side. How you go about calculating those lengths I do not know but a drawing will be required.

Marin

by Marin

teleguy57 wrote:Have a 32h silver Record front and wondering about lacing to a 24h carbon rim using a crow's foot pattern.

Anyone have any experience doing this, or recommendations pro/con with your thinking?

My only question is - why??? :noidea:

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Marin wrote:My only question is - why??? :noidea:

Legit question.

I have plenty of 32 spoke wheels, have a Campy 32h set in hand, love the way Campy hubs roll, and want a 24 spoke front tubular. Also like the look of crow's foot lacing; probably wouldn't do it on a regular built, but was thinking it might a good way to make use of the hub.

I suppose an option is to sell the 32h silver Record pair and buy like a silver WI drilled in 24.... but I'm reluctant to let the Record pair go.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

silver record hubs sell for good money I would do that and buy the WI T11's. If I did not have a set of 28H record hubs and 32H chorus hubs waitng to be built up I would make you an offer.

sbh1973

by sbh1973

Hi all,

I rarely comment here, but Eric's post (Eric's one of my first customers - hi Eric, glad you're okay!) warranted a quick reply. We do not recommend - and will not warranty - hubs laced 1x on the DS. After Eric's initial success with this lacing pattern, I recommended it to one or two customers. But over the past three years we've seen just three rear flange failures (and only one front flange failure). Every one was laced 1x on the DS. Just don't do it!

That said, 8000+ miles on a hub laced like this - and probably not ridden softly (sorry, Eric!) - that's not too shabby!

That is all.

Brandon

eric wrote:I've posted before about building wheels 1x heads in on the DS to increase bracing angle. I think I am done with that experiment:

This happened today during a double century, causing a DNF. There's 6 more cracks around the flange. I used this wheel last year and this year as the training set for my main bike. It probably had roughly 8000-10000 miles on it. I'm going back to 3x DS and 2x NDS (3x since these are 28h).
I'd rather break an NDS spoke periodically as its possible to ride with that (with some field truing, for which I carry a tiny emergency spoke wrench).

Hub is a BHS SL211.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have some 12H slotted DA 7700 hubs which I want to lace to 88mm deep rims. However which spokes. I would prefer to use a 2.3mm spoke at the elbow. which ones. Given the spokes will be very short would there really be a measurable disadvantage to using round sapim strongs compared to a DT Aerolite or sapim CX-ray which are not sold in the U.K and I will have to find on-line somewhere.

I suspect there will be no significant disadvantage to using the strong spoke I think they just fit anyone got opinions on this and weather a 2.3mm spoke and DA hubs should ever mix.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I am finally building the ArchTek rims I bought years ago from the group buy on WW. I measured the ERD as it is outlined in this popular spoke calculator http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

The rims are 20 mm carbon tubular rims 20/24 hole rims

The ERD I got is 610mm the problem is that the spokes I bought for a 2 cross spoke lacing are too long.
The measurements for the front dati hub are 31mm for the flange diameter and 33mm for the distance
in between the flanges. The spoke calculator returns 300.9mm for the length in a 2x lacing.

Has anyone else measured the ERD on these rims?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

pushstart

by pushstart

If it is close, you could add sapim polyax wahers (each is ~0.7mm thick, or add 1.5mm to ERD for calculations),

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Yes I have the washers but the spokes are still too long.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

duckson

by duckson

Would a 24H front and 24H rear setup be adequate with a set of Light Bicycle 45mm U shape rims on Novatec disc hubs (D711/D712)?
Should they have a particular spoking arrangement due to the more powerful (than rim brakes) discs? LB themselves seem to use Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420.

Note they would be for road use only.

eric

by eric

The braking forces from a disc go from the disc to the hub to the spokes to reach the rim and tire. With a rim brake it's only the rim and tire. This why radial spoking is ok on a rim brake.

For a disc wheel you'll need 2x at least. I have seen MTB wheels with 2x on one side and radial on the other but I'd do 2x both sides. There is no performance benefit to radial spoking. A road tire on pavement can get better traction than a mtb tire on dirt and could stress the wheel more under braking.

pushstart

by pushstart

I imagine if you are light or gentle on wheels then 24h would be fine. I debated but ended up doing 28h (CX ray, Novatec hubs) just for peace of mind. I weigh 170-175lbs, for reference. I only have ~700 miles on these,but they have been drama-free. I would have done 24h if Novatec had a disc straight-pull option (that was available for purchase somewhere).

Oh, and I did 2x everywhere.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com