The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Thank you, Kavitator. :beerchug:

quattrings

by quattrings

Need some advice for an oncoming wheelbuild. This is somewhat uncharted territory for me. I've build serveral wheels in the past but this is different.

Would like to build and alfine 11 speed + alfine dyno hub on h+son rims, 32 spokes, 3 cross lacing.
Still undecided on rims, eero or formation face, these will be used for a road disc bike.
Still undecided on spokes all dt comp or all dt rev, or a combination.
Please give me your thoughts. I'm 75kg and pretty strong on a good day.
I do like the eero's wider profile but the weight penalty is huge, considering these wheels are gonna be +3kg, should i just run with it anyway?

Can someone verify that i have the correct hub dimensions for the alfine hubs.
I found these online, but information on these hubs is scarce.

spoke length by Quattrings, on Flickr

Can I get away with using one size of 264/266mm spokes?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

echtogammut

by echtogammut

Pretty sure Wookieopolis is using the Yoeleo 38mm tubs. I have been waiting for him to finish this build and test it before ordering them myself. :twisted:

Hugo7

by Hugo7

Wookieopolis wrote:
Hugo7 wrote:^^ what rims did you use?

Rims are from Yoeleobike.

Cheers.

They've got plenty of 23mm wide rims, which is useful to know. [s]Shame[/s]luckily for my wallet none of the 23mm have alu brake tracks.

Bregne

by Bregne

So i've been offered a pair of Corima Aero+ with Tune MIG/MAG 70/170 and Sapim CX Ray spokes.

Price 999 euros.

That's a seriusly good price isen't it? I just love the Tune hubs. So sexy.

KLabs

by KLabs

quattrings wrote:Need some advice for an oncoming wheelbuild. This is somewhat uncharted territory for me. I've build serveral wheels in the past but this is different.

Would like to build and alfine 11 speed + alfine dyno hub on h+son rims, 32 spokes, 3 cross lacing.
Still undecided on rims, eero or formation face, these will be used for a road disc bike.
Still undecided on spokes all dt comp or all dt rev, or a combination.
Please give me your thoughts. I'm 75kg and pretty strong on a good day.
I do like the eero's wider profile but the weight penalty is huge, considering these wheels are gonna be +3kg, should i just run with it anyway?

Can someone verify that i have the correct hub dimensions for the alfine hubs.
I found these online, but information on these hubs is scarce.
Thanks

Hi quattrings, Interesting build :=)
Theoretically you shouldn't have any dishing issues with this build ... is that correct to say?
Can this build be done as a 130mm, ie. w/o disc brakes?
Are you using 3x for DS and NDS?
Are you using road drop bars with the Alfine?

quattrings

by quattrings

@Klabs

The alfine rear hub's spacing is 135mm (actually 132.5 or so I've read), but playing around with the amount of spacers can you a spacing of 130mm. My bike is steel so worst case scenario the seat stays will have to be stretched. you could run alfine w/o discs.
The plan on this particular wheelset is 3x ds and 3xnds, as I will be using discs, don't think I can get away with anything less really.
For bars I will be using a "special solution" to accomodate the regular alfine shifter and some other tricks. don't wanna give away everything just yet so keep an eye on the gallery section in about a months time. I will be running drop bars and pursuit track handlebars and have an easy way to switch between the two. :wink:

I think I'll be giving the h+son formation face a shot, in combination with DT revs all round. I just need to try this light setup (if you can consider anything near 3kg light), else I might regret it. Time willl tell if the wheels hold up well.

Now it's just a matter of spoke length.
Do I have correct dimensions for the hubs?
Could I use 266mm spokes all round with 14mm nipples?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Buy the hub and measure up, then buy the spokes to be sure.

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi quattrings ... are you using the new electric Alfine or ???, do tell :=)
Yes, the Alfine hub weighs about 1.5kg, but the weight is around the axle so not so bad :=)

Also, are you planning to use dual crankrings ...

Have you thought of using HED C5 rims?

quattrings

by quattrings

bm0p700f wrote:Buy the hub and measure up, then buy the spokes to be sure.

This is probably the most rational option. paying additional shipping costs won't outweigh the cost of having to reorder spokes.
But if anyone out there has an Alfine11 hub and would like to measure it up for me, I'd be very grateful.

@Klabs
The bike will feature mechanical Alfine, as I don't see the benefits of having electronic shifting. Especially in an internally geared hub which is already pretty smooth.
It will run a single chainring up front. I'll give the standard 45t a try but more likely will end up with a 50t or 52t chainring and a 18t cog as it will be closer to the most efficient 100% gear at cruising speeds. This is just guessing as I have no idea what to expect in terms of extra friction these hubs will have over a normal road bike.

I didn't know Hed sold seperate rims. There is not a lot of feedback on google but I'm guessing these are carbon wheels, which I'd rather avoid for this particular project.

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi quattrings, the HED C5 is an alloy C2 with what they call a carbon aero fairing. Re the mechanical Alfine, will you be using road STI type levers. If so, which brand of levers, ie Versa, etc. Will your Alfine hub have a Quick Release (QR)?

quattrings

by quattrings

When I type in HED c5 or HED c5 rim I just can't seem to get pictures or info. Could you pass on a link, please. I'm guessing these will be nearly impossible to track down anyways, But just out of curiousity I'd like to know what we're talking about here.

I will be using the shimano alfine 11 stock flat bar shifter http://www.google.be/imgres?um=1&hl=nl& ... ,s:0,i:171
I'll have to spill the beans prematurely if you keep asking any further. :P
Unfortunatly Jtek does not yet produce a bar end shifter. Even if they did, caution should be taken as the Alfine hub demands exact shifting. Otherwise it could ruin the planetary reduction gears inside.
My frame sports sliding dropouts, so I'll be sticking to a bolt axle.

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi quattrings, perhaps the following might be helpful ...

Alfine SG-S700 (11-spd), Spoke Hole Diameter 2.9 mm, NDS Diameter 93mm, DS Diameter 93mm, NDS Flange Offset 29.5mm, DS Flange Offset 24mm ...
You can try Wheelpro spoke calculator ... http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

Other information ...
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/building-an-alfine-wheel
http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/alfine-shimano/
http://www.kstoerz.com/freespoke/hub/190

KLabs

by KLabs

quattrings wrote:When I type in HED c5 or HED c5 rim I just can't seem to get pictures or info. Could you pass on a link, please. I'm guessing these will be nearly impossible to track down anyways, But just out of curiousity I'd like to know what we're talking about here.

I will be using the shimano alfine 11 stock flat bar shifter http://www.google.be/imgres?um=1&hl=nl& ... ,s:0,i:171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll have to spill the beans prematurely if you keep asking any further. :P
Unfortunatly Jtek does not yet produce a bar end shifter. Even if they did, caution should be taken as the Alfine hub demands exact shifting. Otherwise it could ruin the planetary reduction gears inside.
My frame sports sliding dropouts, so I'll be sticking to a bolt axle.

Hi quattrings, yes it does seem hard to find HED Jet C5 rims and even C2 rims ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi quattrings, A little more info for you ... H+Son Archetype, Weight: 470 grams, Material: G609 Alloy, Height: 25 mm, Width: 23 mm, Machined Braking Surface, ERD: 595 mm
http://hplusson.com/products/archetype