The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Option 1 hands down. NDS flange spacing is critical to lateral wheel stiffness.

What is happening with the silver Velocity A23's. Why is every one I pick up has swarf inside it and when built I can can't have even tension and a round wheel like i can with the Black A23's. Are the silver one made in a different factory with really poor QC or have I just got a really bad batch. These silver one's are to the point where I am thinkin of not buying any more. The rim todaybuild up with even tension and is round until it get to the rim joint and there is a bump of over 0.5mm. I do not like this. Kinlin's and Open Pro's are better than this.

I do not have any roundness issues with the other rims I use so it not my wheel building. Anyone had similar experineces? Is velocity addressing the issue. The U.K distribtor seems to be unware of the problem. I am sure it not me being picky.

What is the quality of the Pacenti rims like. I am seriously thinking of importing some.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Bm0 - have you noticed varying hole depths around the joint as well? I have seen some spots so thick on those rims that the wrench flat of a 12mm nipple is right against the rim.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

No have not seen that, that wold be rim I would have posted back.

Dcgriz

by Dcgriz

rainerhq wrote:Really good tips here :thumbup:
Could someone share their knowledge? Which rear hub will build stiffer wheel:
Option 1.
P.C.D: 41/49
L.C.F: 38
R.C.F: 18

Option 2.
P.C.D: 37/51
L.C.F: 32
R.C.F: 19

I run your numbers with the clarification that the largest PCD number is for the right flange. I also used an ERD of 588 and 28 spokes. Tds at 120kgf. Tnds in kgf.

Option 1
DS/NDS........Tnds.........Bracing angle ratio NDS/DS
2x/2x..............57.7.........2.1
2x/3x..............59.4.........2.

Option 2
DS/NDS........Tnds.........Bracing angle ratio NDS/DS
2x/2x..............72.6.........1.7
2x/3x..............74.5.........1.6

EDIT: typo corrected in bold

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi Dcgriz, NDS Ratio is not the most important aspect with these hubs. They both will have sufficient NDS spoke tension, although Option2 will provide higher NDS spoke tension :)

Option1 will produce a stiffer wheel and may even allow DS heads-in lacing, without any RD Cage strike issues, which would build an even stiffer wheel than Option2.
Option1 (for the same spokes, spoke lacing and rim) will produce a wheel with better spoke bracing (Lateral Stiffness) and allow for a variety of Spoke Lacings to be employed :)

thanks KL :)

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Thanks for replies. Opt1 is Novatec and Opt2 is Dati.
I was asking this, because I have one Dati hub and thought I can use it, but seems like Novatec is needed.
Is it even possible to build a decent (laterally stiff) rear wheel with Dati 24H hub?

P.S Rim is 50mm carbon.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi rainerhq, with a 50mm carbon, yes, absolutely. The Dati still has good hub specs and will work well with a 50mm rim ...

You asked which was the stiffest ... 24H 2xDS/NDS should be good. What does Dati recommend? :)

To ask, how heavy are you? ... if you are < 90kg (especially < 80kgs), I would say no worries :)

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I don´t know what Dati recommends.
I´m 67kg.
I had rear wheel built with this Dati hub with Lasers.
NDS radial and 2x DS and it rubbed brake pads when standing on pedals. Maybe spoke tensions were wrong. I rebuld this wheel with Race spokes (2x both sides) and Novatec 172 hub. 75kg rider uses this wheel now and said it´s ok.

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi rainerhq, was the Dati hub previously built with the 50mm carbon rim, when it was rubbing on the brake pads?
I use a hub with much worse specs (29.5/18 CTF and 27mm deep rim) than the Dati and it does not rub (hmm, but perhaps occasionally it did with 2xDS/NDS) ...

have fun ... thanks KL :)

eric

by eric

rainerhq wrote:Is it even possible to build a decent (laterally stiff) rear wheel with Dati 24H hub?
P.S Rim is 50mm carbon.

It depends on the rider. Not the rider's weight so much as riding style. For example I'm 66kg but when I stand, which I do a lot, I rock the bike more than many people. This puts lateral force on the wheels. So a laterally flexy rear wheel will flex more under me. On a wheel with narrow flanges like American Classic I can bounce the rim off the brake blocks at will. A rider who is heavier but does not stand much, or who keeps the bike more vertical when they do, won't put as much lateral force into the wheel and can get away with a laterally flexier wheel.

The stiff rim will help some, as will thicker spokes. You could get a better bracing angle on the NDS by lacing radial heads in.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

NDS bracing angle is so important more so than any other factor.

KLabs

by KLabs

Yes, it is important ...

Hi rainerhq, if you have any doubts or don't feel like rebuilding the wheel then it is probably best not to use the Dati hub, besides the Novatec has much better FTF spacing :)

You asked if the Dati hub was still good to use and the answer is Yes it can still be used with the 50mm carbon rim 24H 2xDS/NDS ...

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Thanks!
I met a friend today, who wants to build a 88mm rear wheel. We can use this Dati there. He is 80kg and will use this wheel on tri bike.

AxelBrawn

by AxelBrawn

Looking for some more experienced input:

I have DT swiss 240s hubs and Velocity A23 rims ready to build, front and rear are 28H.
I'm 73kg and want a light build but without compromising too much on stiffness

Will Sapim CX-ray spokes be appropriate for this build? If not DT Revs?

Is there a spoke length calculator that is superior to the rest?

What lacing pattern should be used?

Please let me know if there is a more suitable thread.

Thanks in advance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@AxelBrawn- The Cxrays will be just fine all around. We use them for most of our builds with no problems at all. Concerning the spoke calculator, I use the one from UBI.

For the lacing, I would go 3x both sides on the rear. The front would be fine with 2x.