The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have just recieved the first DT Swiss RR440 rims in from Madison in the U.K. 32H only at the moment. Weight is 450g confirmed, 16mm internal width, single eyelted and 1200N max tension. Not cheap but a useful rim I feel especially if a shallow rim is desired that is wider than normal. A useful alternative to the A23 which has finish and some quality issues I have found.

Also did my first build with La Reine Du Nord - Ambrosio Nemesis rims and wow these are so easy to build with. The wheels tesnsioned my much like the archetype or a DT Swiss rim i.e when tensioning they remain striaght and round with little evening out of tension required. Also when stress relieving the wheel does not go out of true much unlike the velocity A23. Damm good rims to build with and my first ride with them on Pave tyre was a very comfortable one but that was the tyres I am sure. The wheels were built with Dura ace 7403 hubs 32F and 36R, sapim Laser spokes and brass nipples. They weigh about 1900g for the pair so not light but hey they look fantastic and perform faultlessly. I hope to be able to use these rims again as they are a joy to build with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xis

by xis

Hi, fellows. What is the maximum spoke tension supported by Kinlin XR-200 rims?

bjavern

by bjavern

Hi all,

new to the forum and in the process of selecting rims for my first set of custom road wheels.
Currently thinking the other bits to be:

hubs alchemy elf/UL
spokes sapim cxray
rim something allround & tubular, aero over weight.

I'm 81kg/180pds. Feel free to comment the above or suggest some rims.

Cheers

eric

by eric

FarSports rims (and wheels) have been working well for a number of people. But if you're not willing to deal with buying parts from China or want the Very Best I'd recommend Enve rims.

xis

by xis

xis wrote:Hi, fellows. What is the maximum spoke tension supported by Kinlin XR-200 rims?

Since no one answered the question, I sent an email to Kinlin and I got the answer below:

"It depends on design/combination of your wheel set. What we can ensure is the drilling holes can bear over 300 kgs pullin weight."

Ok, now I have other doubt. I've used many calculators over the internet before buying the spokes and the results are theoretically the same. Other thing is that now I know that there are two ways of measuring the spoke length. Some people measure from the end of the thread to the center of the spoke's head and some people measure from the end of the thread to the the beginning of the "J" bend, slightly before the bend. The spokes that I bought were measured from the end of the thread to the beginning of the "J" bend. In the "rear wheel", most of the spokes are longer than they should be. The result is:

Questions:
1) Do you think that I'm going to have troubles? Most of the spokes are passing about 3 mm from the nipple's head.
2) Has anybody here using the spokes this way?

I hope you can understand my English. :thanx:

kavitator

by kavitator

xis wrote:Hi, fellows. What is the maximum spoke tension supported by Kinlin XR-200 rims?

110-115kg is very safe tension

bjavern

by bjavern

eric wrote:FarSports rims (and wheels) have been working well for a number of people. But if you're not willing to deal with buying parts from China or want the Very Best I'd recommend Enve rims.

Thanks eric, I'll have a look at farsports.

notaero

by notaero

I'm about to order Kinlin XC279's in 20/24 for my ORC/ELF build, and then I remembered I have a set of high end Ksyrium's with worn through wear markers. Would an XC279 be an OK replacement for this rim (obviously with new spokes?) These would be in 18/20, and likely end up on my girlfriends bike to replace the horrible no name wheels. I know the general feeling is to throw away old Mavics, but the hubs were maintained every 6months, have near new bearings, and look good to go for another 4+ years, so I'm willing to lace up some new rims while watching TV. I'm just worried that there is something I'm not considering here, and would appreciate input.

eric

by eric

Don't the Ksyriums have straight (rather than j-bend) proprietary aluminium spokes? The hubs' spoke holes will not work with normal steel j-bend spokes.

And if I remember right the nipples in the wheels are not standard either.

notaero

by notaero

Eric, thats correct. I've built multiple wheels before with straight spokes - another project with 188 hubs, so spoke sourcing is not an issue. I'm not sure why the nipple in the old wheel will matter if I'm going to use a new rim, new erd and new spokes, am i missing something here? (spoke holes on mavic hub seemed to be typical of straight spoke geometry hubs) thanks.

eric

by eric

The slots in the hub for the spokes are larger than normal, to fit the aluminium spokes. Same for the nipple holes in the rim.

If you use the aluminium spokes that fit the hub, the nipples would not fit the KinLin rim. If you use straight steel spokes whose nipples fit the rim, they won't fit the hub. I suppose you could machine tiny adapters. Or drill out the spoke holes in the rims.

notaero

by notaero

All clear, thanks eric.

xis

by xis

The spokes that I bought were measured from the end of the thread to the beginning of the "J" bend. In the "rear wheel", most of the spokes are longer than they should be. The result is:

Questions:
1) Do you think that I'm going to have problems? Most of the spokes are passing about 3 mm from the nipple's head.
2) Has anybody here used the spokes this way?

ryker

by ryker

3mm past the top of the nipple is a lot. If I got a spoke length that wrong, I would rebuild the wheel with shorter spokes before giving it to my customer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WinterRider

by WinterRider

With a single wall rim that works. Double wall rim it means nothing.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.