The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@captainclarko- I think that the C2 is a great rim. It may be worth just going with a 24/24 to be able to use that hoop.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

captainclarko wrote:I was hoping to use velocity escapes...

I think the Escape is a better deal. Good price, significantly lighter and I've built a bunch of them with good reliability. I know a few riders much bigger than you that have used them for years.

To T11 hubs, I would recommend 20/28 spoke count. As always, I prefer a heavier gauge on the right side of the rear wheel. Make the wheel more durable and laterally stiffer.

captainclarko

by captainclarko

ergott wrote:
captainclarko wrote:I was hoping to use velocity escapes...

I think the Escape is a better deal. Good price, significantly lighter and I've built a bunch of them with good reliability. I know a few riders much bigger than you that have used them for years.

To T11 hubs, I would recommend 20/28 spoke count. As always, I prefer a heavier gauge on the right side of the rear wheel. Make the wheel more durable and laterally stiffer.

@ ergott
Regarding spoke gauge, I'm considering aerolites all around. If I use DT Aerolites on the DS and revolutions on the NDS, would this be a decent compromise to keep the DS strong during wind up and keep those NDS spokes from wiggling lose over time? Would you recommend DS supercomp/ NDS aerolite instead?

Zen Cyclery wrote:@captainclarko- I think that the C2 is a great rim. It may be worth just going with a 24/24 to be able to use that hoop.

I appreciate that solid review coming from you. Ergott makes a good argument for velocity's as well. I'll have to look more closely at both.

It should be noted that I will be using an 11 speed cassette so spoke clearance is important, and my biggest concern is the DS bracing angle (planning for around 3.4 degrees) and my tension balance which should be around 44% but I am hoping to creep that upwards as I optimize this build. The C2 rim has an ERD that is comparatively 10mm less than the escape rim. This pushes my DS bracing angle up by .1 degrees, but small advantages like this are why I'm here asking these questions.

ergott

by ergott

For good and bad, the C2 rim is stiffer. I think the ride suffers in comparison. People have complained about the ride of those rims especially at higher spoke counts or with relatively small tires (23mm).

Aerolites have the same effective gauge as the Revolution so there is no difference in stiffness. You can use DT Aero Comps for the DS and Aerolites elsewhere. The Aero Comp is a bladed/ovalized Competition spoke.

bobonker

by bobonker

bobonker wrote:Thanks for the input guys. Based on a couple of other conversations, I decided to go with the 19W. Haven't built wheels with eyletted rims before, so I want to try it.

I went 20/24 which I may regret, but the WW in me really wanted a sub 1350g build.

Ordered it all from bikehubstore.com today. Looking forward to getting these built!

Bob

Well darn, made a dumb mistake.

I decided to go 20/24 instead of 24/28. Since the front wheel is radially laced, the spoke length didn't change. Since I want 2x in the rear, the rear length DID change. All of my rear spokes are 2mm too short. :doh: Luckily I caught this before I started to assemble, so I can return the rear spokes and get the proper lengths.

Bob

KLabs

by KLabs

Orfitinho wrote:This Spoke Lacing Tool is quite useful for inspecting spoke patterns.

Hi Orfitinho, thank you so much for the link to this tool ... fantastic :)

thanks KL :)

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

bobonker wrote:
bobonker wrote:I decided to go 20/24 instead of 24/28. Since the front wheel is radially laced, the spoke length didn't change. Since I want 2x in the rear, the rear length DID change. All of my rear spokes are 2mm too short. :doh: Luckily I caught this before I started to assemble, so I can return the rear spokes and get the proper lengths.

Let us know how this build turns out as I am thinking of using the exact same parts except for BHS's new UL190 rear hub. Am also concerned that 20/24 configuration may be a bit too flexy with the XR19W even at my 68kg. Want this to be a race and train wheel set.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

waymore

by waymore

Hey all - new here, but been reading for a while.

I am planning on building a new wheel set with H plus Son Archetypes and White Industries T11 hubs 28f/32r with a 2x pattern in the front and 2x/3x in the rear for my CAAD 10. Still trying to figure out what spokes to go with, but am leaning toward the Sapim lasers. I am 165 and 5'8" and do mostly fair weather riding, ride decent amount of hills on moderately good roads.

Do the folks with lots of experience think this is good build? Appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@waymore- That sounds like an awesome build. I think the Lasers are a good call too. Keep in mind, if this is your first wheelset, the Lasers will wind up during the tensioning process. If you can gauge and compensate for it, it's no problem. However that does take some practice.

If you didn't want to deal with windup, go with the Cxrays. You will need a spoke holder but they are easy to prevent windup on.

Good call on the lacing though. 3x ds and 2x nds will make for a rigid build.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I would use 2x DS and 3x NDS as this will help tension balance by 30N or so. Other wise I would normally build with 2x both sides. Laser are fine for use with the archetype rim so long as yor hub give good NDS bracing angles on the rear (if its 37mm NDS spacing you will be fine).

I love the Archetype rim not light but is one great rim to build with. Lubricate your spoke thread with 3 n oil, it really work with Lasers. I was showing some one how to build wheels yesterday, it was his first build and we sed Lasers and he had no isses with wind up. Also I find using Sapim alloy nipples reduces wind up even further so it is almost no existant.

waymore

by waymore

Thank you for the replies. Just need to figure out the spoke lengths and nipple sizes.

Will be putting the order in through zen cyclery.

KLabs

by KLabs

bm0p700f wrote: ... Lubricate your spoke thread with 3 n oil, it really works with Lasers. I was showing some one how to build wheels yesterday, it was his first build and we used Lasers and he had no issues with wind up. Also I find using Sapim alloy nipples reduces wind up even further so it is almost non existent.

Hi bm0p700f, these are really good tips ... thanks for sharing :)

thanks KL :)

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Really good tips here :thumbup:
Could someone share their knowledge? Which rear hub will build stiffer wheel:
Option 1.
P.C.D: 41/49
L.C.F: 38
R.C.F: 18

Option 2.
P.C.D: 37/51
L.C.F: 32
R.C.F: 19
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi rainerhq, option1 (for the same spokes, spoke lacing and rim) ... thanks KL :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com