The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bombertodd

by bombertodd

I did not build his hand built set (LBS did) but I have tried truing and retensioning the wheels. The non drive side seems to have nipples coming loose even though the DS spokes are at 120kgf. I was thinking that Pacenti rim is a little flexy which is causing the spokes to go slack.

pushstart

by pushstart

I wonder if a more elastic spoke (Sapim Laser? too thin?) would help here with NDS loss of tension? I would obviously heed whatever advice from folks that have some builds for heavier riders, though :-) You can probably go higher than 120kgf on DS too, depending on the rim. I typically do 130-135 on the DS for Archetypes. And use nipple washers. Seems to be serving me (and the handful of people I have built wheels for) well. But no particularly heavyweight riders.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I tried 130 kgf on my SL23's and pulled a spoke through the rim. I wasn't using nipple washers though. I also noticed at higher tensions the rim starts to collapse creating dimples in the black part of the rim.

I've thought about using thinner spokes like the Sapim laser for the NDS to help keep tension on the spokes. The wheelbuilder at the LBS said they stretch easier but don't return (like a rubber band), but I recall reading they would return???

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The pacenti rim is a racing rim it is not for 120kg riders. Not enough spokes for one. Hard tension limit of 1200n for this rim and i will only use alloy nipples with it as well now. I dont use washers i have found them un nessary if you limit rider weight and use alloy nipples and keep to 1175N +/-25N tension ds rear. Also 32H max only not enough spokes. The pancenti rim is a long way from being flexy so many misunderstandings above.

Lasers are a bad idea for this rider not stiff enough. You should use a triple butted spoke (or sapim race if you cant get triple butted spokes easily) and a 36h rear to ensure long spoke life. Spoke tesion drive side rear can be1200N. The archetype rim has a thick spoke nipple bed which is why i am sugesting it which means 1250 to 1300N is quite safe. Take my advise, i have done this wheelset before for 120kg riders and it works very well and it is the only one i recomend to such riders if they want somwthing that does not weight more than 2kg and performs well. If the rider want to save money in which miche primato hubs are used and these are fine hubs. Same recipe though, it works And the wheels dont break spokes or go out of true. So build this for your friend. If you build it properly you won't get problems.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

So, my Ryde Pulse Sprints are built up and have tyres fitted. The Open Corsa SC 25s come up very wide indeed - almost 28mm! God knows what Open Pave 27s would be! Probably going to swap them for some Open Corsa SR 24s I have, more for aesthetic reasons than anything else. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jooo

by jooo

Offset rear rim yeah? How did the tensions come out? And what spokes/hubs?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

What width tyres. I thought the corsa sc tyres were only 23mm width, is there a 25mm. Never tried mounting corsa tyres on these rims Suprised they come up so wide. My 23mm corsa tyres are 25mm on my 25mm wide carbon rims.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Oh tensions come out very nicely with those rims. Lovely looking wheels and bike.

Marin

by Marin

What's the inner width on those rims?

Edit, found it, 17.8mm.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Hubs are Stans No Tubes (by Novatec) 24/28 laced with Sapim Lasers & Prolock

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

How fo the hubs differ from the novatec hubs them.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

I'm not sure. Nut they look very similar. Front was 78g, rear came in at 225g.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Funny, I just discovered Gianni Pegorretti's "new" brand 2 days ago and what do I see, a DeAnima for first time over the forum (I might have missed it in the past though). Lovely setup

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Hubs are Stans No Tubes (by Novatec) 24/28 laced with Sapim Lasers & Prolock Brass nipples.

With the tyres swapped out to Vittoria Open Corsa SR 25

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Quick question, has anyone used nipple washers for internal nipples? My reasons are:

- bought slightly too long spokes, I know its ok for them to wind out a little, but would prefer to be on the safe side.

- I shined a torch on the internal carbon spoke bed, for some it is slightly uneven/mold-lines running across the hole.

Note: rim is Roval rapide Sl
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC