The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
jeffy

by jeffy

thanks for the help...

Don't tension a wheel to kgf rim failure or nipped failure will result.

do you mean don't tension to max recommended?

So..
Front NDS @ 100 kgf & DS @ 60 kgf
Rear NDS @ 60 kgf & DS @ 100 kgf

or should the 100% figure should be a little higher, but still less than max recommended (say 110 kgf)? ... or perhaps I am still misunderstanding.

Dont quite know why I got a 160% LR Ratio from the spokecalc. used this site https://leonard.io/edd/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushstart

by pushstart

Depends on rim, but for "normal" rims, I tension my disc-brake wheels to 110-120kgf front (nds/disc-side) and 120-130kgf rear (ds). Note that some Stans rims max at <100kgf, so check rim recs.

General question: why not tension front wheel to rim max rec? Is it just to prolong rim life / avoid rim cracking? I have broken front spokes on early builds, presumably because I did not sufficiently stress relieve spokes or just didn't have sufficient tension in the front.

More weight on the rear so probably makes sense to tension that higher, but braking twists more than drive torque and most braking is in the front, so don't shortchange that wheel.

grouk

by grouk

i am considering go to tubulars in my cx bike but i need to buy a new set of wheels to my race road bike so the €€€€ are short, i am considering using a 24/28 chinese carbon rims that i have bought in a good deal in ebay. i am 76/78kg for disc brabe do you think 24/28 holes is ok or not.

what tipe of lacing should i use?

Marin

by Marin

For a 24 spoke front wheel at your weight I'd take heavier spokes. 28 would be better...

2x all around, as 3x probably won't work?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am riding 24 spoke front and rear disc brake wheels with the velocity aileron rims and Cx-ray spokes. I have a rack and a rack bag on the back too. Dressed I am 85kg no issues here. 24 spoke wheels maybe all that is needed with stiff rims.

when I get to 10,000 miles I will start happily building them for folk.

pushstart

by pushstart

bm0p700f, straight-pull spokes or j-bend on the 24/24 setup. And how many miles so far? I want to do a 24/24 build but have been nervous.

eric

by eric

pushstart wrote:General question: why not tension front wheel to rim max rec?

The spokes need to be tight enough that they don't momentarily detension under the combination of forces encountered in the worst cases of normal riding. (the rim flattens slightly at the tire contact patch, the wheel flexes as you're pedalling out of the saddle, etc).

80kgf is probably more than sufficient on rim brake road wheels, at least for me. I tension fronts to 90-100 just to be sure. On rears of course you need as much tension on the DS as the parts can safely handle to get sufficient tension on the NDS.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

J-bend. Not enough miles yet to say if is reliable (about 1200) but I am putting 200 miles a week on them at the moment so in a year I will know if it works. So far I have ridden down some steps and dented the rear rim and crashed on a greasy bend and put the rear wheel out as part of my bag got caught in the wheel and gave one of the spokes and good pull.

So I am giving them a good beating. If a wheel is going to give problems it normally does fairly quickly otherwise you just have to wait for fatigue to do its thing. I think it will be a while before spokes fail this way.

My inclination is not to bother with straight pull hubs but use triple butted spokes like Sapim force. I plan on getting Sapim CX force for 24 spoke disc brake builds until them Sapim force will do.

Don't be nervous it will be fine but more spokes does not much weight.

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

So I am no light weight by any stretch of the imagination (93kg) and want to build a set of carbon clinchers between 40-70mm depth. I want to keep the budget for the build under $750, but don't know if that is possible.

pushstart

by pushstart

That should be possible. My LB U45 disc-brake build with Novatec hubs and CX Ray spokes was around $830. Would have been around $750 with D-Light spokes. For rim-brake you could do Race/Laser and save more. Hubs could be cheaper too.

Probably want to do some research on good heat-dissipating rims. I don't know if LB is using high-temp resin. I know when November did their heat tests they were seeing temps north of 200F, so the 220F high-temp rating is probably not really high enough for any serious descents. Delaminating is real. Happened to a friend of mine on pre-Rail November wheels. (That is why I am disc-only for carbon clinchers.)

petromyzon

by petromyzon

@Cycleclinic - any more information on the type of coating on the ceramic Rydes? More Exalith type treatment or a surface layer like Ceramic Open Pros?

Anyone got their hands on a set of Velocity Quills yet - shape and weight sounds impressive, not sure about the price vs Velocity finish quality....

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

given the out of round issues I have had with the aileron I wont be bothering with the Quill. the Kinlin XR31t is nearly as wide, round better finished and available in offset drilling so why on earth would I want a velocity rim. I am giving up on velocity.

No more info on the ryde rim. It looked "exalith" like the coating though.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Fair enough. I bought an offset Ryde from you and have been pleased with the quality, weight, ride and stiffness when built up. Of all the wheelsets I've built my A23s are the most "meh"; I didn't think I cared about finish etc but having built a set of the new Pacenti SL23s recently I think the nice bead blasting brings them aesthetically up to the level of a lot of factory whelkiest. I too am not sure I would pay £100+/per rim for Velocity...

jeffy

by jeffy

bm0p700f - what rims are you using for your long term laser 24/24 disc test?

Speaking of Ryde i see a 390g disc rim is coming soon from them
http://www.ryde.nl/pulse-comp-disc
will be interesting to see/hear how stiff it is compared to the SL25, their ultra-light and narrow Pulse Disc - i had heard - was unusable, way too flexy.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

even ryde realised the pulse disc was a mistake hence the new version. I suspect it will be quite stiff.

I am using the velocity aileron in 24F/24R disc brake set. Now hit 2000km given there was only 900km on it one month ago it wont take long to rack up some proper miles on them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com