The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
wetpaint

by wetpaint

Has anyone measured a MTB SL+ disc hub to see if the dimensions Saris quotes are accurate? I don't have calipers so the best I'd be able to do is use a ruler.

The sheet that came with my hub says:
NDS flange 74.0
NDS center to flange 33.9
DS flange 70.0
DS flange to center 15.9

KLabs

by KLabs

Anybody had any experience with the BHS SL218 16:8 Rear Hub ... http://www.bikehubstore.com/SL218-p/sl218.htm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

system787

by system787

I have used the SL218 rear hub to replace the stock hub on a pair of Reynolds Assault tubulars. I broke the axle on the Reynolds by accident while working on it, and turns out the dimensions of the SL218 are so similar that it was a straight swap, reusing the spokes and all.

The hub engages very nicely, and has very little freehub drag (I usually add Phil Wood tenacious oil to the freehub pawls).

kavitator

by kavitator

Maby the best hubs what you get for price/performance.

KLabs

by KLabs

Just received a reply from BHS to say that the SL218 is compatible with either Shimano 10 or Campy 11 spd and a new freehub body for Shimano 11 should be out soon. So maybe a 16:8 hub a good way to go :-)

Mackers

by Mackers

ymmv, but the hub I have is definitely not 11S campy compatible.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I have a chance to buy a pair of vintage Saavedra Turbo rims (280g, aluminium) that I think would be great for building myself a lightweight wheelset. The downside is the rims have 36 holes in them.

I want to make the set as light as possible, so that is why I would like to ask you what the minimal acceptable amount of spokes is according to you guys? I came across a picture (below) of a guy who used 18 spokes in his front wheel and apparently that wheel has been going strong for quite a few years now.

Is 18 spokes doable for a rear wheel? Or do I need 24? For your information, I plan to use these wheels in my time trial bike and maybe in a hill climb someday. Also, I weigh 80 kg.

Thanks in advance!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Some of these older rims are a bit flexy and a 280g alloy rim is never going to stiff. They did them in 32H and 36H drillings for a reason. 18 or 24H while doable in principle will most likely for most riders lack suffient stiffness. Build with the lightest spokes you can and alloy nipples and the wheel with 36 of them will still be quite light as the rim is very light.

Actually my advise would be 36 spoke count only unless you weight 25 kg.

Mackers

by Mackers

I can see it working as a front wheel, but lacing that to a 24 hole hub with 8/9/10 or even 11 speed dish?

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I would definitely like to do 18 spokes for the front wheel. With Sapim Laser spokes this would save me some 150g over the 36 spoke wheel, which is a lot in my book.

I am not looking for a stiff wheel or one that I could use for road racing. Just a lightweight set for smooth surfaces.

Concerning the dish: I would happily go for a 3-5 speed wheel but unfortunately there are no lightweight options available for this. Even the Tune singlespeeder is silly heavy. Both the Mavic Cosmic Pro and the Campa Shamal wheels used 16 spokes, so do you really think it is not going to work?..

Mackers

by Mackers

Both of those used very heavy stiff rims.

eric

by eric

KLabs wrote:Anybody had any experience with the BHS SL218 16:8 Rear Hub ... http://www.bikehubstore.com/SL218-p/sl218.htm

I have one in regular 28h. It's a solid hub, similar to the SL211.

todibble

by todibble

Anyone know what color veloplugs fit the BHS 472w (Kinlin XC279) rim? Or if they'll fit...

Thanks.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Just ask Brandon when you order, he knows and/or can test before he ships it out.

cyclistcong

by cyclistcong

i'm looking to build my first pair of custom wheels, just need some views on which hubs and lace patterns to use. I'm 6"2, around 200lbs

Hubs
Tune or alchemy or any recommendations? is 24F 28R enough?

Rims
H+Son Archetype or Kinlin (if so which 1) or velocity a23

Lacing patterns
Was thinking Front(radial) Rear (3x)

would it be stiff enough for everyday riding?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com