The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

As aero as the CX ray and as stiff as the race does not exsist. You will have to comprimise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bc sparks

by bc sparks

eric wrote:Bdop cycling has pillar stuff.
They only have 1422 listed for aero spokes.

bm0p700f wrote:As aero as the CX ray and as stiff as the race does not exsist. You will have to comprimise.

So what's a good compromise, staying on the side of stiffness?

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi bc sparks, try BHS for Sapim ... http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/131.htm

thanks KL :)

kavitator

by kavitator

As i hear Sapim will offer only Cx Ray not Cx anymore

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Looking for advise on components for a set of NOS Chorus silver 36 hole hubs for a 190lb rider. I'm looking at either NOS GP4s or Ambrosio Montreals for him, and thinking w/36 spokes I could go to Lasers front and NDS and Race DS - all 3x.

I think the Montreal is a bit lighter than the GP4; also thinking that Race spokes all around would be a bit much for a 36 spoke wheel.

What would you select?

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

I am after some suggestions/advice from some of the experienced wheelbuilders on what rim and spokes to use for an upcoming build.

I have a set of DT240 hubs (28/32) that I am planning on building up. Given the higher spoke count I am thinking that a shallow box rim might look good. I currently weigh 85kg (on the way back down) and generally ride rolling hills, sometimes on rough roads.

I like the look and weight of the Kinlin XR19-W but I am open to other suggestions as the there is not much choice at the local shops I have looked at other than Mavic Open Pro or Alex rims.

Thanks Paul

eric

by eric

I have not used them but the XR19 doesn't have as good a reputation here as the XR270.
How about Stans 340s?

Personally I prefer larger section stiffer rims such as XR270s as they make stronger wheels for a minimal weight penalty.

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

Looking for suggestions on a new set of custom wheels. These need to be my all around wheels, cant afford 2 sets currently. So durability is toward the top of the list

I am 190lbs, ride in the Northeast (MA, VT, NH, ME). Hills, potholes, bridge expansion joints, etc are all on my rides. Wheels will go on a Tarmac SL2 if that matters.

I do mostly training, club, and Triathlon (Sprint, Olympic and Hal distances) rides. I will be doing a few centuries this summer, and at least one ride of 150M.

I am not married to any brand, I do want all black, loud free hub (yes its obnoxious but I like it), and aluminum clinchers.

Budget is $1000 or less (unless you can somehow convince me that going higher would change my life when i get on my bike)
Get busy living, or get busy dying

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi Bostonbull, here's a fairwheelbikes rim roundup. Maybe there is something there you might like ... http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/products/2013-rim-roundup.html

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

Making me work for it! I like your style.

Any suggestions though, maybe give me the cliff notes version?

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi Bostonbull, no, but the Pacenti SL23, H+Son Archetype, Kinlin XR-270, Kinlin XC-279, Stans 340, Velocity A23, Hed Belgium C2 are often mentioned on this forum, including FLO30 rims.
Any rim with a depth of >= 25mm, or Off Centre Rim (OCR), will work with the DT240 hubs (28/32) and produce a good road wheelset.
The thoughts by Jason/Fairwheel and Eric Gottesman/Ergott wheels are quite good and helpful, don't you think so ... :)

Eric's Kinlin XR270 and Stans 340s are good suggestions as are Pacenti SL23, H+Son Archetype, and Kinlin XC-279 ... it's good to have choices especially when the choices are all good :)

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

Love choices, which is why I turned here!

Thanks!

Geoff

by Geoff

Personally? I would always choose the Ambrosio. I have several sets of Montreal Durex rims from back 'in the day'. They are nice rims. Lace 'em up with Sapim spokes and you will have a solid wheelset.

kavitator

by kavitator

some new hubs - what do you think about geometry?
http://kavitec.blogspot.com/2013/03/new ... -hubs.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi kavitator, looks very interesting and thanks for sharing ... is this there site ... http://www.bartimecycling.com/product-Hubs-RS100.php

What wheelset do you plan to build with these hubs ... especially the rear hub :)