The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The current 480g archetype rims Have an erd of 583mm. For the past couple of years the archetype has averaged 480g not 470g. Lots of bad info out there on the web inclucing on the h plus son website. The first geb archetype had an erd of 595mm i think as it was lighter and had a thinner spoke nipple bed That was a few years ago now.

Eric is right my memory is wrong calculated spoke length is 282.3mm. However if you are using cx rays or laser round down. with lasers 281mm works well i have done it before. 283mm will lead to spoke wind up as you run of threads.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Powertap lacing question:

I currently have a set of kinlin 300s laced to a Tune 70 front and Powertap SL+ rear. The front is heads-out radial (20h), and the rear is 1x heads-in on the drive side and 2x on the NDS (24h). CX-Rays all round.

I am going to rebuild with a set of Flybike 45/50mm rims. To keep costs down, I might use Lasers all round apart from d-lights on the rear DS.

Any reason not to use the same lacing pattern?
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

MattSoutherden wrote:
Any reason not to use the same lacing pattern?

This is a good reason not to do that:

http://ericm.lne.com/images/IMG_0871_s.JPG

Not the same hub. But I'd hate to do that to a PT hub. It took about 8000 miles before it happened. Tension on the DS was 130kgf on a Park TM-1.

To be honest I don't feel the difference in lateral stiffness and reliability is significant, and not worth the chance of damaging the hub.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Thanks. Any issues with changing the lacing pattern?

1x DS is a common pattern for custom Powertap builds. Have you seen many of them with broken flanges?

EDIT: In fact, the stock Mavic Cosmic Carbone Powertap builds even use radial DS, 1x NDS.
-
Finsbury Park CC

eric

by eric

I think that it's fine if the hub is made for it. The problem is that the DS spokes have the highest tension, and when laced 1x (on a realatively large number of spokes) they're going pretty close to straight out from the hub. That means there is less flange material resisting the spoke tension. I've not seen any 1x heads in PT hubs with broken flanges but I've not seen any PT hubs laced that way.

If you change the lacing pattern only drawback I know is there will be visible marks on the hub from the old spoke pattern.

kavitator

by kavitator

Powertap 24 rear - go with 2x on both sides

Mavic COsmic SL has holes in carbon shell for their lacing and you cant go with 2x on NDS - also Cosmic has ponly 20 spokes

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

MattSoutherden wrote:and the rear is 1x heads-in on the drive side and 2x on the NDS (24h). CX-Rays all round. Any reason not to use the same lacing pattern?

Lace them the same. Totally fine. The older PT hubs had 15.5mm DS offset which is why heads in 1x was a good idea.
formerly rruff...

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Thanks. I found this entry in the manual, so I assume the current lacing is fine.

(emphasis mine)

For your safety, the non-drive side of the PowerTap hub must be built with at least a 2x
lacing pattern
. Because of the patented PowerTap design, torque is transferred through
the hub to the non-drive side. Failure to adhere to this precaution will void the warranty.
-
Finsbury Park CC

vandermaesen

by vandermaesen

Update on spoke length archetype h son on novatec.
ERD 595/596
Front 24h 0x: 284 mm
Rear 28h 2x 2x: ds 282mm nds 286mm
Worked just fine on cx ray

JTKK

by JTKK

Edit: -
Last edited by JTKK on Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marin

by Marin

Any suggestions for Bitex alternatives?

I seem to be killing the freehubs a bit too often, so something not much heavier and not much more expensive would be interesting.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If you want more reliable you have to accept a weight penelty. Bigger bearings are needed to be blunt.

pushstart

by pushstart

Marin wrote:Any suggestions for Bitex alternatives?

I seem to be killing the freehubs a bit too often, so something not much heavier and not much more expensive would be interesting.

Do you mean the bearings or chewing through free hub body?

I have been a fan of the Novatec hubs with the EZO bearings. Specifically their anti-bite guard is nice for keeping cassettes from destroying the freehubs.

I will buy more Novatec hubs.

Marin

by Marin

Not the bearings, I keep ripping out the pawls.

eric

by eric

Marin wrote:Not the bearings, I keep ripping out the pawls.

Wow, you must be making a lot of power.

White Ind hubs ought to be strong enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com