The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
SpartacusCZ

by SpartacusCZ

Yes, same width. About weight, in my opinion it doesnť matter in constant speed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Go by look. Are these Light-Bicycle? I love my LB 35s.

SpartacusCZ

by SpartacusCZ

LB is a good option, but I rather prefer Nextie. Classic clincher 45 (18mm inner, 470g ) or premium clincher 35 ( 17mm inner, 440g )

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

the 45mm deep rims will be stiffer and therefore all things being equal spoke life will be longer with the deeper rim. So go with the deeper rim.

SpartacusCZ

by SpartacusCZ

Stiffer, cooler, yes. I am only interested about acceleration. Perhaps, 30g difference per rim don´t a noticeable distinction. At now, i have DT swiss R24 DB spline, which was weighed 1810g. Rim weighs 460g ( same, as nextie 45mm ), but spokes and hubs are heavier.
I want to try tubeless system, which is 50g lighter per wheel than tyre + tube.

Marin

by Marin

You'll be ligher with a light clincher and light tube. I run Grand Bois Col de la Madeleine & Vredestein Latex on my light wheelset, 230g per wheel.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Ik have a set DT Swiss RC55 Spline wheels. The front wheel has DT Aerolite spokes en the rear DT Aero Comp spokes.
I measured with the Park Tool TM1 and noticed that the rear wheel has on the drive side scale 20 and the non drive side 10. The front wheel has scale 10 on both sides.
What's the tension that they must have, my wheight is 85kg?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Tubeless depending on the tyre offer other advantages that overall can make you faster. I dread to think how those compass tyres would have faired on this mornings ride.

rasmusic

by rasmusic

I'm building a front wheel for my time trial bike with a 79mm carbon clincher rim from Farsports (DT240s/Sapim CX-ray), but something strange is happening when I inflate the tire. It goes out of center with as much as 3-4mm, and it goes bak to center again when I deflate it. Has anyone experinced anything like this before, and does anyone know why?

(It's perfectly round and center with an even spoke tension without air in the tire)

pashax

by pashax

I am torn between Dt Swiss R460 and Mavic Open Pro UST: these will go with Miche Primato hubs and 32 dt competition spokes front/rear. Any suggestions ?
"If you brake, you do not win". MC

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Wheels go out of dish when a tre is fitted and inflated not by 3-4mm. on tubeless rims I normally see 1mm of movement to the DS so I have to build the wheels with 1/4 turn of extra tension on the NDS spokes and fitting the tubeless tyre and inflating it corrects the dish perfecting on rims from 22mm to 50mm deep with the hubs i use.

The mavic open pro is 50g lighter the DT Swiss rims is cheaper. I like the mavic it is rounder than the DT rims. I have seen some rather up and down R460 rims. otherwise there is little wrong with them.

rasmusic

by rasmusic

Thank you, but this is a symmetrical front wheel, so it doesn't help me. I've tried mounting another tire too, but it didn't help, so I don't understand. I've increased the spoke tension, and that helped, but it still moves around 2mm sideways. Any ideas?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

What is the spoke tension then?

rasmusic

by rasmusic

To around 115 before mounting the tire, and around 105 after. (According to my Park Tool TM-1). I really don't understand the physics behind the sideways movement, but can it be anything else than something wrong with the rim from Farsports?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Is it cheaper to build the wheels yourself?