The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

stress releiving take me up to an hour until I am happy that will no longer moves out of true when stressed. Take your time with it and the wheel will last without having to take a spoke key to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pashax

by pashax

Can anyone suggest shallow carbon clinchers under 400$? :roll:
"If you brake, you do not win". MC

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

what the point in shallow carbon clinchers. A ryde pulse sprint alloy rim is lighter.

pashax

by pashax

bm0p700f wrote:what the point in shallow carbon clinchers. A ryde pulse sprint alloy rim is lighter.

Thanks, I will look into it.

pashax

by pashax

Rims : Kinlin XR-200 24/28
Hubs : DT Swiss 350 or Novatec A291SB-SL/F428SB-SL?
Spokes : Sapim Laser
Nipples : Sapim Aluminum Polyax
Good or bad?

eric

by eric

XR200s are light flexy rims. 24/28 may not be enough for durable wheels depending on your weight and riding style.

Why use light rims and spokes but heavy DT350 hubs? Can you get Bitex where you are? They're pretty decent and are lighter and cheaper than the DTs.
Not sure if BHS ships international yet.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

BHS does ship abroad. The novatec hubs are light, cheaper than DT Swiss, but the bearings won't last as long. For that rim though the Novatec hub will give a stiffer rear wheel than the DT Build. I would worry about spoke breakage due to a lack of stiffness with the DT Swiss hubs.

The novatec hubs are 290g for a pair the bitex hubs are a bit lighter but freehub bodies are not available generally so buy spares for the bitex hubs at the same time as buying the hubs.

The rim I use now instead of the XR-200 is the Ryde Pulse Sprint, same weight but 22mm wide 17.8mm internal width and alot stiffer. Tubeless compatible too.

kavitator

by kavitator

anyone else have problems with cracking heads ALUMINIUM (Sapim POLY) nipples on rims H PLUS SON ARCHETYPE?
Initially, when nipples are lubricated no rpoblems - but after a few 1000km ride in the wet, the nipple head almost glued to the inside of the ring. Little twist with spoke wrench and head off!

Is soultion to use brass nipple or washer under aluminium nipple head?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

no issues yet but I always suggest ally nipples are not for wet weather. A brass washer will help or use brass nipple for all weather wheels. My own wheels with alloy nipples I assume if I ever have to take a spoke key to them (I have not had to yet) I will be cutting out the spoke and rebuilding. so with alloy nipples unless spokes are breaking - don't touch them it not worth it.

kavitator

by kavitator

it happened only on HplusSon Archetype - otherwise not a single problem with these nipples

thanks anyway

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

I have 8000+ miles on a set of a archetypes with alloy polyax and no problems. Many many wet rides on these wheels. These rims tend to hold water more then any other alloy rim I've encountered. If I do a really wet or dirty ride, I take the tires and rim strips out and lots of water will drain out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

pushstart

by pushstart

kavitator wrote:it happened only on HplusSon Archetype - otherwise not a single problem with these nipples

thanks anyway

I would use nipple washers for exactly that reason. I had similar issues with alloy nipples with a Kinlin rim once and switched to using washers -- and haven't had an issue since.

jeffy

by jeffy

Looking for some advice as I would like to start a road disc build for a :evil: light :P / :evil: strong :roll: road disc wheelset :for a 180lbs rider on not the greatest condition roads although not terrible.

for the hubs it is a choice between the CX75 and the dtswiss 350 Centerlock.

would be using 11 speed shimano road cassette although 11 speed shimano mtb is specified,
for the 350 11 speed sram road/mtb is ruled out - the spacer required/no spacer required between shimano and sram has always confused and thrown up surprises for me. :noidea: perhaps using 11 speed road cassette on a shimnao 11 speed mtb hub is a noob error :oops:

428g for the pair of hubs
http://www.wheelbuilder.com/dt-swiss-35 ... e-hub.html
http://www.wheelbuilder.com/dt-swiss-35 ... t-hub.html

432g per rim of Pacenti SL 25 disc

brings us to 1292g

Looking at building with D-Light 24/28 or 28/28 - thoughts/experience on 24 front disc very much appreciated.
a ball park figure for weight of 52-56 D-Lights would be great.

brass nipples are AFAIK+20g per wheel over aluminium - some say it is worth it :noidea:

would be great to come in under 1600g

price and weight differences between the 350 and cx75 are not that significant 70g / maybe $100, so i am hoping for some thoughts from more experienced builders as i don't have enough servicing experiences to know the *true* consequences of choosing cup & cone over the dt swiss. i have ridden neither so performance wise i am also in the dark.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

DT swiss 350 hubs accept an 11 speed road freehub without issue. Front dic brake wheels handle most of the braking load therefore keep the spoke count the same for front and rear.

DT Swiss do a road 11 speed hub in 28h drilling but for thru axle only. End caps to convert to Q/R can be bought at least that is the situation in the U.K.

The CX-75 hub is excellent and it is cheaper. Better bracing angle from this hub too. 1600g is realistic with alloy nipples. Brass nipple are 40g heavier.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushstart

by pushstart

1600g should be doable. For reference, my 28/28 (d-light) Stans Grail wheelset was around 1680g and that was with heavier Hope Pro 2 rear hub. My 28/28 cx-ray carbon clincher (light-bicycle U45) were 1596g with Novatec XD711/D712 hubs.

If you are considering other equipment options, I have only put 3k miles on them, but the Novatec hubs have been awesome. I am sure either of those hubs will be great too, though. I like the 9mm bolt-thru front axle option on my XD711 hub, though I don't think I can tell a difference with the 10m bolt-thru rear axle on my Hope hubs. Also, I love the Grail rims (though have been using them for CX wheels); if I had one alloy road disc wheelset it would be with Grail rims -- aero (claimed), nice internal width, tubeless ready, reasonable weight, and builds up so easily, like all Stans rims.