The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
sbh1973

by sbh1973

MajorMantra wrote:Does anyone know what size Veloplugs the H+ Son Archetype takes? I'm building up a couple of sets but I don't have the rims yet.

The Archetype doesn't seem to play well with either red or yellow Veloplugs. I just started stocking them today and tried the plugs on a couple of rims. The red is too small, but the yellow is really a tad too big - although I imagine with a little work you could squeeze them in, or perhaps just shave a mm off somehow. But it does seem as if the hole diameter is right between red and yellow, too small and too big - kind of annoying, because these are otherwise really gorgeous, well-made rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Seriously velo plugs are already so light you will be saving a gram or 2 this is not going to be noticeable when riding and you will sweat more than that in minutes.

I use and stock velo plugs but I would not try to find anything lighter.

jooo

by jooo

Nothing to do with weight saving, simply to do with modifying them to fit certain rims better.

kavitator

by kavitator

Veloplugs are perfect - 10gramms will have no effect

Lighter option composite (carbone/armide)
http://kavitec.blogspot.com/2012/07/kav ... evlar.html

woody55

by woody55

Can anyone recommend a good wheel builder in the Phoenix AZ area? I have a pile of parts to put together but chickened out doing the actual build as I have never built a wheel and don't really have the right tools. I know Fairwheel is in Tucson but I'm too busy (read lazy) to make the drive right now.

Thanks!

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

sbh1973 wrote:The Archetype doesn't seem to play well with either red or yellow Veloplugs. I just started stocking them today and tried the plugs on a couple of rims. The red is too small, but the yellow is really a tad too big - although I imagine with a little work you could squeeze them in, or perhaps just shave a mm off somehow. But it does seem as if the hole diameter is right between red and yellow, too small and too big - kind of annoying, because these are otherwise really gorgeous, well-made rims.

Hmmm, that's annoying. I emailed H Plus Son to ask about them and they said the holes are 8.5mm, which is the minimum for yellows, but that they offered no guarantee they'd fit. I've already ordered a load of yellows so I hope I can get them in.

Cheers for the reply.

Snicks

by Snicks

Quick question guys;

What is the rule on re-using rims?
I'm looking at rebuilding a set of rims that have never gone out of true, done about 10,000km, 32H and originally built by a professional wheel builder. Will I be able to build these into a durable wheelset or am I likely to continue to encounter problems as a result of them being tensioned previously?
Also, what would be the best way to go about de-constructing the original wheel if it is possible to re-use the rims with reasonable lifespan left in them?

Thanks

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@snicks- Assuming the rim is in good shape, which it sounds like it is, then rebuilding that rim should be no problem. Start with detensioning the non drive side, then, turn by turn, loosen the drive side.

Snicks

by Snicks

Awesome thanks!

Aakoo

by Aakoo

bm0p700f wrote:The ERD measurement will depend on how you measure it. For the XR-300 The 577mm measurment will give you 12mm nipples that just cover the threads. I use 579mm as it gives a bit more egnagement on 12mm nipples without the threads sticking out the top of the nipples. If using 579mm round down though. If using the 577mm measurement round up.

It sounds like you have not measured the rims your self. I would do this as then you get to deside where the threads will dend up in the nipples. Use your mesurements when calculating spoke length this is how expensive and time wasting mistakes are avoided.

2 200mm spokes with 12mm nipples threaded on the end. Screw the nipples so they over the threads and you decide how far down you want them. Measure ERD and then round up or down dpending how close to the top of the nipple the threads are when measuring the ERD.

Thanks. I suppose it's better to just measure the rims now that I have them.

lechat

by lechat

For stateside BHS fans, they now carry the H+ Archetype rims. $70 matte black, $80 hard anodized.

Rush

by Rush

Well I've finished building my new wheels. Hed Belgium C2 rims laced to Alchemy hubs with Sapim CX-Rays. 28 spokes 2x for the front, 32 3x for the rear.
Weights for the build:
Front rim was 448 g.
Rear rim was 455 g.
Front hub was 62 g.
Rear hub was 222 g.
KCNC Titanium skewers for 40 g for the pair.

Total weights with skewiers and Velox rim tape :
711 g for the front
899 g for the rear.

Using the Park Tool tension meter the front spokes were about 10 +/- 1.0 units, the rear wheel was 13 DS, 9 NDS.

I've put about 200 km on the rims so far and they have stayed true so it seems I've stress-relieved the spokes properly.

Wheels seem to be a fair bit stiffer than my old set..as they should be as they are 18-year old Shimano 600 Ultegra hubs laced to Campagnolo Omega rims.

Thanks to Bikeman for rims and tape and Zen Cyclery for the hubs, spokes and nipples.

Last edited by Rush on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Interesting weights you have there on those rims, I thought they were heavier than that
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rush

by Rush

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised. From what others have suggested on these forums, the heavier weights for the clincher rime (i.e ~470-480 grams) were for the earliest versions. Hed seemed to have been able to trim some weight from the later production runs.