The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
xplaza

by xplaza

New rim from DT Swiss, the R460. Beautiful shape, tubeless compatible and price should be very good. This is going to be a killer.

460 gr
23 mm external /18 mm internal

ImageImage

pushstart

by pushstart

Sorry about the Aileron rec; i had forgotten it did not have a brake track.

I just built a Flo30 wheelset. From a building perspective, I was not very impressed with these rims. The published ERD of 584 was wrong for my rims; they measured 580-581. I am sure glad I measured before ordering spokes. Mine both had a fairly significant out-of-round hop (1-2mm) at the weld; I started trying to correct for it, but it would have made the tensions pretty imbalanced, so I stopped short. In practice it rides fine. So not huge issues, but compared to building up something like an Archetype, these definitely felt like they needed more compromises. We'll see how they hold up.

The rims look nice (after removing the cheap-looking decals); the shape is great. The big inner width lets my 25mm GP4000S tires measure 28mm. They also sound nice at speed, not quite the airplane-takeoff noise of 50mm rims, but quite noticeable difference coming from Archetypes. They are also pretty heavy. Mine were both around 550g, which I guess is lower than claimed weight. I reduced weight of the final product a bit by using alloy nipples and velo plugs; they roll nicely and I suppose hold their speed nicely too. They really do ride nice.

They were really hard to mount tires on, though. Really hard -- and that was with velo plugs, not tape (FYI the Flo30 needs yellow velo plugs). To the point where I bought a speed lever to carry for when I need to do this on the road. I could not mount the generally-easy-to-mount GP4000S tire without tools -- and I have enough experience with hard-to-mount tires/rims to know correct technique there.

So a mixed review, but hope that helps!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

Thanks for that pushstart! That's actually a really good first hand experience. My take away is that they are OK rims but have some issues. Nothing major but as you say compromises are made. Very much appreciated!

eric

by eric

I think really thin rim tape provides more tire mounting slack than Veloplugs.
Rox or Kapton tape.

pushstart

by pushstart

eric wrote:I think really thin rim tape provides more tire mounting slack than Veloplugs.
Rox or Kapton tape.

I have not tried those. Only Stans, but then I use two layers for road pressures. I will give that a shot in future - thanks.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

That DT Swiss R460 maybe my new favourite rim. Can't wait, love DT Swiss rims they are always excellent.

I think proper tyre fitting technique is the best solution for tight tyres far too many people complain about tight tyres that I know are an easy fit. Had to show one chap how easy it was to fit his versestein tri comp fortezza's to his Pacenti SL23 rims, once I showed him how he fouind it easy too. If you have to mess about with stans yellow tape find another tyre. Tyre fitting should be tought in schools it is an essential skill for life.

eric

by eric

pushstart wrote:I have not tried those. Only Stans, but then I use two layers for road pressures. I will give that a shot in future - thanks.

I forget the thickness of Stans but I think that 1mil Kapton is not that much thinner, and you need two layers.
Rox reinforced nylon tape should be thinner still. But even Stans should be thinner than Veloplugs.

pushstart

by pushstart

Interesting. I thought velo plugs were thinnest, but makes sense that the tape is thinner looking at it.

As for tire mounting, unless there is some secret that the internet doesn't know about, I think I know the tricks. -- tire bead into center channel all the way around, work around rim stretching tire, finish at valve stem (maybe more relevant for tubeless), etc. Center channel is not very deep on these. I guess I did not put the tires on the drier, but these weren't new tires. And I have found GP4000S tires mount trivially by hand on other rims. I had to use the tire jack, though levers would have probably worked with some risk of scraping knuckles.

Crescent

by Crescent

I ended up going overboard and buying 2 pairs each (8 rims total) of the XR-200s and the XR-270s some of you recommended over the XR-200s. I figure once I realize what a mistake I've made I should at least be able to get back what I paid for them.

Narrow rims are really going out... $12.00 each with free shipping @Wheels MFG. That's probably less than wholesale for you pro builders. You have to search for Kinlin, they're not listed under the specials anymore.

Now that I'm not ordering spokes from them, whats the best place to get alloy nipples, Sapim Lasers/CX-Ray or equivalents?

pushstart

by pushstart

I usually buy spokes/nipples/washers from BikeHubStore.com when buying individually (as opposed to a box/bag). Those were about the cheapest when I first looked around and have been very happy with customer service.

Wow, that is a great price on the rims.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

xplaza, bm0p700f: ooh nice rim. Glad I held out the purchase of a modern clincher. This one could be a real winner, subtle looks unlike the Archetype, and then the price.

Any preliminary spoke count advice yet? Something like no frills 28h 2x front and rear for the winter/training/gravel/travel set of a ~75kg rider? On Shimano 105 hubs or the like.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I'd ride 24F/28R and a m a bit heavier than you. 28H 105 hubs where are those not on this planet. Try Miche Primato's or novatec A171/F172 for a low cost reliable hub.

pushstart

by pushstart

Agree with bm0p700f, 24/28 makes more sense for rim-brake wheels or else you are overbuilding the front (or under-building the rear). 2x all around sounds like a pretty good default. If you are in the US, the BHS hubs are also a good option.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Hi guys - I am looking at building a set of MTB wheels with Light-bicycle carbon rims. The DT spokecalc gave me precise (not inc. corrections) values of 278, 279.3, 279.3, 278.8 for spoke lengths. Any concerns with just going with 279mm for all of them to keep things simple?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The tubular one's?, If so they are ace. I always round down so if 278mm is not available then go with 277 e.t.c. I have done a 28 spoke build with the tubular version and used laser spokes. the wheels are super stiff and I am 80 kg so I would not bother with higher drillings or stiffer spokes.