The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
eric

by eric

Bike Hub Store? The rears have pretty wide NDS flange spacing but not wide DS flange spacing. They have wide flange front hubs. And the prices are right. If you want wide DS flange spacing you could always lace them 1x heads in on the DS. But there may not be enough clearance between the spokes and derailleur cage, depending on the derailleur you're using (Shimano seems to have a little more clearance than SRAM).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Also Novatec A291/F482 hubsare not too bad on the flange spacing side. The alchemy hubs have better flange spacing I think particularly on the front but are cheap and fairly light. The F482 has better drive side spacing than the BS rear hub.

NONAME
Shop Owner

by NONAME

marcopantani
for 67 kg you can make for xample a 1320g wheels on a standard components:
Rims Kinlin xr-200, spokes Mac 424 od D-light, nipples alu, hubs ...Novatec 291.482, front radial, rear 2x , 20/24 hole.
This complet was tested for 65 kg and wheels are very good, you can make it 24/28 and will by stronger for allround use. ( like this my product https://picasaweb.google.com/1104808309 ... 3216708322 )

you get a lighter hubs, wheels wil be lighter.

ypu can also use Alpha rims.....more expensive

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

A 28F/28R build with XR 200's Novatec A291/F482 hubs and Sapim CX-ray spokes + alu nipples is only 1330g. For the weight weight saving of 10g apparantly I would not bother with less spokes go with more. The XR200 is a fairly flexy rim.

marcopantani

by marcopantani

thanks a lot for the feedback! Will use the wheels for campagnolo record 8 speed (with 9 speed cassette and spacerkit) and campagnolo 11 speed.

The kinlin xr 200 is very attractive price wise, but I think I prefer the wider inner profile of the alpha 340 plus it being a bit lighter. The BHS hubs look nice for the price, especially the SuperLight Wide Front Hub. In case of the rear hub I guess novatec 482 is best in regards to the flange spacing (in this price and weight range). Is there a big difference comparing it to the bhs and dati or even rotaz hubs to motivate the extra 30-45 grams? Would 24f 28r both 2x still be solid enough with either option? Will the rear be the weak point so that I should consider 24f 32r?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The XR-200 I have in the shop are 360g each. A 340 rim is 385g. So the Kinlins can be lighter but as you say they are narrower.
For Campag freehub bodies a Novatec F582 would be needed. The F482 is shimano spline. Never had any of the the other hubs you are talking about to compare them to Novatec. Given the Novatecs work so well and spares are easy to come by in the U.K (distributor support) I won't be using the other hubs you mention.

I have never tired putting a modern campag cassette on a 8 speed freehub body. I thought that combination didn't work. Also all the modern hubs are for 9/10/11 speed campag splines.

marcopantani

by marcopantani

I was then thinking about the old alpha which seem to be about 355g, but 360g for kinlin is really light, saw other listings of about 385-390g. Is it just your rims or is this the standard weight? Ah, ok, Novatec F582 it is then, didn´t realise that there were different models for shimano and campagnolo..

Think you got me wrong, would use a 9-11 speed hub and use a 9 speed cassette and remove one cog and use spacers so the cogs will be in the right place for the 8 speed derailler.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I only have had two XR-200 and these are the light ones. I have been unable to update the listings with the new weights as the listing has not updated.

When I buy some more I will weigh those for sure.

kavitator

by kavitator

i just get some kinlin xr200 rims. weight from 372 to 401 g. black colour

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have ust re weighed mine now I get 377g and 378g. Looks like there was a weighing error. Sorry at least that's more resonable.

Simonhi

by Simonhi

Going to be building up a new set of clinchers as a spare set which will be used on my rain / gravel / commuter bike when I want to run somthing other than my Nemesis / Royce / Veloflex which are a great.

I am thinking of using Royce hubs again (like butter, not Lance's and USPS butter) with H Plus Sons Archetype rims. Due to the deeper depth than my Nemesis would it still be worth going 32 hole 3x or will I be able to reduced the spoke count. I'm not talking of going really low maybe 24 front 2x, 28 rear 2x NDS 3x DS ? Or should I stick with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" build 32 hole 3x all round ?

I currently weigh 190 lbs, probably will drop maybe another 10 lbs.

New to wheel building (starting building my own wheelsets about a year ago) and all advice is gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Si :-)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well I am 180lbs and ride a 28 spoke RR415 rim whih is 19 or 20mm deep. So yes I would say you can reduce spoke count. 28 rear will be fine I am sure and 24 front also. Should be a nice wheelset. But with 32 spokes it will be stiffer and you reduce the risk of anything going wrong with the wheel when going through those potholes. I will also be able to carry a heavier load incase you fit a rack and put loaded panniers on it.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@Simon- Dropping to a 24/28 hole count should be just fine for your weight. I like the idea of 2x front/rear nds, 3x ds as well.

1415chris

by 1415chris

@Simonhi
I will add my few cents.
3 days ago I built the set using the same rims, I'm slightly heavier than you.
After over 200m I can say 24/28 is more than enough. These rims hold very nice, dead straight.
Front radial (my choice), rear 3x (as advised by Zen..thx!)
You will be surprised how amazing these rims are.

oysters

by oysters

Hypothetical questions about a future rear wheel for myself...

With the new Off centre A23 coming out, I'm wondering how much strength advantage would the OC give (assume same hub and spokes)? Would it, say, likely be as strong as the H Plus sons archetype rim, which is ~20g heavier and with a deeper profile? Or would the reduced spoke length of the latter and deeper rim make up for it?

Also, I was thinking of a couple of other potential options...

1. Alchemy Orc laced 32 with A23 OC rim, say, DT Swiss Alpine III 3x DS, 2x Revolutions NDS.

vs.

2. Alchemy Orc laced 32 with BHS 472 rim, lazers (prob 3x).

The BHS has maybe a rim strength advantage, but weaker spokes esp DS. The A23 OC has an advantage with spoke tension and length equality, as well as spoke strength (DS). Both would come out with a similar weight, but the A23 option has less rotating weight at the rim where it has most effect.

I'm just guessing here, but, based on the above I'd possibly be better off with the latter combo, or would the extra rim strength really be more important than the spokes?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I weigh about 185lbs (85kg), will use it mostly road and bike paths. Will be towing a baby trailer too with it in the near future, though that wouldn't add too much stress to the wheel as they are well balanced (Burley). I also run 28mm tyres and happy to run slightly fatter with the trailer if I need to (got the brake/frame clearance).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com