The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Marin

by Marin

Hmmm ok.

How on earth do you "feel" a hub?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Lighter spokes rear left will build a more durable wheel btw.

F45

by F45

It will build a less laterally stiff wheel. Therefore it would be less durable.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have stopped doing differntial spoking as it does nothing to improve a wheel. The arguements used are junk

Stiffer wheel result in longer spoke life skmple as that. You do not make wheels stiffer by jsing thinner spokes.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The thinner spokes on the non drive side really just allow for more elongation of the spoke itself at the same tension, correct? This can be argued to have some benefit in that they are less likely to go slack, which is the real cause of failure and breakage. So, if the wheel is built with relatively uneven tensions on the non drive side, this may have some benefit. I've experimented with this on my own wheels, and I've found I like using DT Comps on a basic wheel, both drive side and non drive side. But I do take extra care to make sure the non drive spokes are as evenly tensioned as possible, and no problem. I tend to feel that the thicker DT comp spokes (versus Revolutions), do make the wheel more laterally stiff, and I'm a bigger guy, so I like that. Also, my standard build would be a Record 32 hole hub laced to an Ambrosio Nemesis rim. The clearance you get between the spokes and the rear derailleur is really minimal with a combo like that (deeper profile rims have a steeper bracing angle, and thus slightly more clearance at that crucial junction). I experimented with drive side pulling spokes laced heads in versus heads out, paying particular attention to the clearance at the derailleur. As a result, I've settled on drive side spokes laced heads out (3x pattern), so that in the event of a high torque pedal stroke in the lowest gear, the spokes are least likely to end up in your derailleur, from simple high torque pedaling forces at least. Pretty common practice I think.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

any123

by any123

Hello to everyone

it is time to say thank you and share some pictures, i finished my wheelset.
It is amazing light, 498g the front wheel and 662g the rear wheel. this is going to be my mountain set.
by the way, tje spokelength was perfect, thanks for the support.

F45

by F45

I think 1160g is the lightest carbon clincher I've seen posted here. Nice.

svendsvin

by svendsvin

F45 wrote:...CN 494s for the rear..

Remember these spokes are 3mm wide so need keyhole hubs (or some diy dremmeling...)

Multebear

by Multebear

Looks great @any123, and the weight is very impressive. Well done :thumbup:

kode54

by kode54

@any123, great job. looks good.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ooo

by ooo

How thick are concave sapim nrhm washers? Do I need to add extra to calculated spoke length for this washers?

'

kervelo

by kervelo

long19000

by long19000

Have anyone tried the Carbon-ti X-hub (straightpull) before?
How're they comparing to Tune king/kong?

How does the freewheel sound? (I tend to like quiet hub.)

I'm thinking of a Carbon-ti X-hub (straightpull) + DT XR331 27.5 + Sapim cx ray.
What weight should I be expecting and do you think it's a good built?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Nice hubs. Load freehub and the hubs are very simple to maintain. No funny thin washer to adjust preload, the have a thumbwheel preload adjuster.

Light reliable and simple hubs. I would not touch tune hubs too fiddly for my liking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

long19000

by long19000

bm0p700f wrote:Nice hubs. Load freehub and the hubs are very simple to maintain. No funny thin washer to adjust preload, the have a thumbwheel preload adjuster.

Light reliable and simple hubs. I would not touch tune hubs too fiddly for my liking.

Is the freehub quiet?