The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
WMW
in the industry

by WMW

kavitator wrote:Question for more experienced - how do you tesnsion sppokes on that kind of lacing?

Is same tesnion for all spokes on one side or same tension for each second spoke?

Same for all spokes on one side. Hubs like that are more style than function. The DS offset is quite poor.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavitator

by kavitator

thx to all

same tension for side was OK.

i jjust hate that kind of lacing with straight spokes no under/over

xplaza

by xplaza

The Pacenti SL23 rim got an interesting upgrade

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well there is no point in the HED Belgium+ when this comes out.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Looks very good - impressive that they are not content to rest on their laurels, having produced what is probably the market leading rim for road race oriented builds. Same alloy, thicker spoke bed, wider, with lower weight. Wonder where the compromise is? More minimal beads or just better luck getting the extrusion thin in the right places?

Slagter

by Slagter

xplaza wrote:The Pacenti SL23 rim got an interesting upgrade

Good news.

Did the upgraded version get a new name? Or how will you know, which version you are ordering....

aussietim

by aussietim

BHS have the new Pancenti SL23 for sale now. They have called it the 2015 version (Gen 2).

I was just about to build a set of H plus son Archetypes. I liked the old Pancenti's however the weight saving of 20g was not enough to justify the significant extra price over Archetypes. Now there is a potential weight saving of 50g a rim I am thinking of getting the new SL23.

I have some 24f/28r bitex super light hubs in the post. Was planning radial front, 2x rear with sapiam lasers. Was going to be ~1515g with the Archetype build will now be ~1414g with the new Pancenti, it will be pretty much the perfect road wheel, light, wide, stiff and durable.

I have been truing my wheels for a while but this will be my first full build.

BHS offer 2 drilling options for 24h, normal and center drilled. What is the difference in these and what should I be looking for for a radial front lace?

With the new Pancenti should I consider a different lacing pattern on the rear?

aussietim

by aussietim

As to the question above, I got off my lazy butt and did some research RE: center and offset drilling. So its only really used for offset rear drillings. ie 16:8 or 2:1. This is primarily to allow for better NDS tension, is that correct?

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Normal drilling is where the spoke holes are alternatively angled towards the ds/nds flanges.

Centre drilling is where the spoke holes are drilled vertically towards the middle of the hub shell. (you would most often choose to use these with 2:1 lacing).

Offset drilling is where the spoke holes are not drilled along the centreline of the rim, but set to one side to allow more bracing angle on the drive side spokes.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

eric

by eric

Most of the rims I have built were center drilled. I assume because it's easier for the rim maker and there's only one rim to stock for retailers.
BHS seems to go out of their way to do the rigth thing for people.

BTW I figured out an easy way to tell if the rim is center or alternate drilled: stick your two ERD measuring spokes in adjacent holes and let them hang from the nipples. If the spokes are not parallel it's alternate and you have to adjust your pattern to match.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The old pacenti sl23 averages 435g and the archetype 480g so the weight difference is more than people think. The new rim seems to be lighter still. No stock in the u.k though for a few weeks.

tigoose

by tigoose

When building with velocity a23 is it ok to use aluminum nipples, 24/28 with bhs hubs and laser spokes ?
I'm 79kg.
Regards

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I found my A23s soft and hard to work with (DT comps) - might be worse with Lasers?? Nothing a bit of tweaking couldn't overcome but brass nipples might be a better idea if they are going to need a revisit....

bombertodd

by bombertodd

A riding partner of mine wants me to build him a rear wheel. He has gone through Mavic Aksiums, Fulcrum 7's, and Pacenti sl23 32h laced to 105 hubs with sapim race spokes and brass nipples. The guy weighs 270 pounds and rides 25-28 rear tires. He hasn't had an issue with any of the fronts but the rear wheels never make it more than 250 miles before rubbing the brake pads from being out of tru.

I'm thinking of reusing the 105 hubs, Velocity Chukker rims, new brass nipples and sapim race spokes. Any thoughts or ideas about this heavy duty build?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Bluntly if his hand built wheels are not lasting they have not been built properly. The fact that askiums have not lasted is no surprise that is kne flexy wheel.

I would do a 36 spoke rear for this chap with triple butted spokes (sapim force or dt swiss alpine III) on shimano ultegra hubs. The rim of choice is the h plus son archetype. This build will last done many for riders of a similar weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com