The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Thanks bm0p700f. Another Rim idea I have is Mavic open pro UST. What do you think of these for my purpose? Seem a bit wider and lighter and I do like the looks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The mavic OP UST rim is a good one. It is the only other alloy rim apart from the kinlin tubeless rims that I really like. everything else is just too expensive.

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

Lightweenie wrote:Thanks bm0p700f. Another Rim idea I have is Mavic open pro UST. What do you think of these for my purpose? Seem a bit wider and lighter and I do like the looks.

For cheap and good, I like the DT 460 a lot. I had no problem whatsoever to go tubeless with them, and so did a friend (I use Maxxis Padrone, he uses Hutch Sector). I think I paid 70 GBP for a pair of rims, which is excellent value. They even have tasteful decals... what's not to like?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

being out of round. had more than one and I dont buy many of them and if I want to warranty it I have to pay to send it back to TF tuned and that cost me. in otherwords not worth it. Given the number I have not been happy with with (0.8mm out of round or greater) I wont buy them any more.

The disc brake rim is not round or straight unlike the kinlins. So for me there is alot not to like. I have some sussy customers so for me it is simply not worth it.

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

bm0p700f wrote: ... in otherwords not worth it. .

Not worth it for you. Chances are the "home builder" will get a good round pair and build some excellent wheels at a very reasonable price. Building in volumes presents a different set of problems from building a pair of wheels for your own use

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

maybe but dont even want to sell them in case of a return because they are not round. If you want any ugo I have a few left cheap as well.

mariachi

by mariachi

Anyone know the diameter of TB14's rim holes? I'm building a new wheelset (SP SV-8 28h in the front and DA 7900 32h rear) and would like to try veloplugs (anything against them btw?)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

you wont get veloplugs to fit in any double eyelted rim securely. use tubeless tape if you want to save weight.

28 spoke build with a dynohub is a mistake. I did on recently 32H sapim race with DT RR411 BD rim. It was really flexy never again.

32F with the TB14 and sapim race spokes or plain gauge and you will have something that will be fine. drop the spoke count or use thin spokes and the risk of the wheel going out of tru or worse a spoke failing goes up.

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

mariachi wrote:Anyone know the diameter of TB14's rim holes? I'm building a new wheelset (SP SV-8 28h in the front and DA 7900 32h rear) and would like to try veloplugs (anything against them btw?)

Don't think you can, the rim is doubly eyeletted.

mariachi

by mariachi

whosatthewheel wrote:
mariachi wrote:Anyone know the diameter of TB14's rim holes? I'm building a new wheelset (SP SV-8 28h in the front and DA 7900 32h rear) and would like to try veloplugs (anything against them btw?)

Don't think you can, the rim is doubly eyeletted.

humm good point.. what is the current lightweight choice out there?

kauphy

by kauphy

I'm building a carbon clincher wheelset for the first time and was wondering if I should be using nipple washers. Will it make a big difference durability wise?

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

kauphy wrote:I'm building a carbon clincher wheelset for the first time and was wondering if I should be using nipple washers. Will it make a big difference durability wise?

I would... the tiny Sapim HM or whatever they are called are easy to fit and minimally invasive... they weigh nothing too

Marin

by Marin

I've successfully built without, but even with thoroughly greased seats friction is on the high side.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Right then. Hill climb season draws to a close. I'm planning on putting together a HC bike for next year. The question is: what rims? These are special use raceday wheels, and unless I win the lottery, ax lightness 25s are out of the question.

So, very light tubs on the cheaper end of the scale? I'm 72Kg.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

MattSoutherden wrote:So, very light tubs on the cheaper end of the scale? I'm 72Kg.

LB?

https://www.lightbicycle.com/25mm-deep- ... rface.html