The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pushstart

by pushstart

Yeah, I now the Flo folks will tell you that the Flo30 is a faster wheel than the Alpha 340 would be on anything but the steepest climbs, given that aerodynamics trumps weight. But I can appreciate that light wheels do *feel* faster to get up to speed on climbs, etc. I am sure you have seen their blog on aero vs weight.

Either way we are talking about marginal differences.

I also have a set of Flo30 rims that I built into 28/28 disc-brake wheels. While they are 200-300g heavier than the wheels they replaced, they seem to be just as fast (or a tiny bit faster) according to Strava. I haven't done back-to-back testing, but I am sure the math that Flo presents in support of those claims is sound.

Of course, if you are choosing between two non-aero wheels, I would go lighter too (or between two aero wheels). And of course this is WW.

So, it sounds like a 24/28 Alpha 340 build would be a nice setup for your weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have some aero wheels and similar weight higher spoke count wheels. Difference are real but small. I have tried lighter wheels and to be honest I never felt faster on them, maybe very light and aero but the 1kg wheels I built for someone (24mm deep carbon tubs on novatec hubs) felt a bit like a spring in terms of flex. The lady they were for is light so they would work out for her but for me I am not so sure.

I have tried a low weight 18F/24R setup with stan rims and it is surprisingly stiff but the hub bracing angles are excellent on these. The 24F/28R with the stans rims would be ideal but I would try a more aero setup, Pacenti SL23 rims 18F or and 24R with Dura Ace 9000 hubs or 20F/24R with White Industries T11 hubs. That will out perform as it is the stans build as it is stiffer, wider and more aero while being only be a 150g or so heavier.

epiphanyboz

by epiphanyboz

WW, I am building some mountain bike wheels with Stans Podium MMX rims and Sapim Super CX spokes. Stans recommend using nipple washers to prevent the rims cracking or dimpling but Sapim do 3 styles of washer - round, oval and tapered (HM) and I can't find any advice on which type to use. Which style should I use on Podium MMX rims?

Many thanks,

Dominic

pushstart

by pushstart

I think the default nipple washers to use -- unless you are using rims that specifically need bigger washers -- are the polyax round washers.

mentok

by mentok

28 lasers on the rear paired with a pacenti sl23 or hplus son archetype (tbd) for a 90kg rider. thoughts?

jooo

by jooo

Go Comps/Race on the DS.

Also, what hub? The flange spacing can make a big difference between one hub and another.

kauphy

by kauphy

I recently built up a front wheel - DT Swiss RR440, 24h, DA 9000 front hub, Sapim Lasers and radial lacing. What kind of tensions do you aim for for a radially laced front wheel? Thanks.

Orfitinho

by Orfitinho

90-100 kgf.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Mentok, sound good with decent hubs. Sapim race DS is ideal and 2x or 3x lacing. A novtec, Miche Primato, White Industries T11, Shimano Dura Ace 9000 are all good hubs that will work well for a long time and cover all levels of budget/bling.

I do front wheels at about 1000N. Where does this kgf come from. Force/tension is only measured in Newtons, or it should be.

F45

by F45

It irritates me that so many entities use the mythical kgf unit (including the Park TM-1 tension card). Kg are mass, not force. But we do it here as well in the Gallery section. "Weights" must be listed in kg. Derrrrrrp.

pushstart

by pushstart

Yeah, I use kgf because everyone does. Luckily conversion is trivial.

Why do y'all use such low tension in front? I use 120kgf (~1200N I guess). Though my recent wheelsets are all disc-brake, so that is a difference. In general I use max tension rated for a rim, though.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

rim brake wheels do not fatigue spokes so it does not matter. For disc brakes though the front wheel must be treated and tensioned like a rear.

pushstart

by pushstart

I understood that the bulk of spoke fatigue (or at least forces acting to deform rim or slacken spokes) was due to stresses from weight on wheel / hitting obstacles (e.g. potholes) and not from braking forces -- or even drive torque in the read wheel. (But still would make sense that the rear wheel spokes would suffer more, given rider weight distribution.)

I might well be wrong; that was just what I remembered from Jobst Brandt's book. I will reread that section.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Disc brake forces are maybe up to ten times pedaling torque so these can be fatigue inducing.

Radial stiffness of a spoke wheel is huge and the tyre takes the vertical sudden loading so lumps and bumps should not cause to much fatigue but over time I suppose it adds up. Lateral flex must cause bigger tension changes and can result in NDS spokes going slack. That is fatigue inducing and quickly. So personally I think lateral loads do spokes in which is why laterally stiff wheels last.