The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
F45

by F45

Since the triplet has 16 spokes on the DS, you put in 32 spokes on spocalc. I get 284.4mm for DS 3x. 2x is 274.2mm

What spokes are you using? If you are using cx ray or similar I'd knock 2mm off the DS length - 1mm for stretch and 1mm for the crossing. I used spocalc on a 24h 2x both sides build recently and I ran out of nipple threads using a spoke 0.8mm shorter than spocalc. I theorize that since cx rays are thin bladed, they take a more linear path to the rim than a 2mm round spoke.

Also I have to ask, for your flange diameter, you are measuring the holes center to center, not the overall flange itself, right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The spoke length calculation is more complicated than that.

Look at ergot to post and below. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113826

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Also that bit about cx rays taking a more linear path to the rim is well rubbish. I round the same way I do for round spokes. I don't run out of threads.

djay001

by djay001

bm0p700f wrote:The spoke length calculation is more complicated than that.

Look at ergot to post and below. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113826

Yes i have seed that post, but to use the calculator with an option for triplet lacing was easier, maybe i will try the calcul of ergot to confirm my lenght.

For the holes diameter, i can get the spec on american classic website but, i have also check these myself. And yes that's from center of the holes, i also corrected the NDS diameter (supposed to be 36mm), but in reality i get 35mm.

eric

by eric

grouk wrote:These will be my first wheels built from scratch, already changed rims and spokes but complete wheels will be the first.
The wheels will be for my cyclocross bike.
i will use a 50mm rings with disc brakes but i have some doubts
the rims have 20mm inner rim width, will be enough for tubs?
24/28 be good enough? i weight 77kg
2cross or 3cross?
what spokes do you recommended best value weight cost? I have thought of sapim race

20mm would be ok for road tubulars, dunno about CX tubulars.
24h might not be enough for the front due to disc brake forces.
I like 3x on the DS for 28h. 2x is ok too.
Lasers are lighter but are as strong as CX-rays. You need to hold them to keep them from twisting. Smooth jaw pliers can work. I use a twist-resist tool.

grouk

by grouk

tanks eric maybe i will go to 28/28

F45

by F45

bm0p700f wrote:Also that bit about cx rays taking a more linear path to the rim is well rubbish. I round the same way I do for round spokes. I don't run out of threads.

It's just a theory! I measured every dimension twice and still ran out of threads. I'll go back to playing in the sandbox stacking my own turds.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Again appologies for being a bit harsh I had a day of being a bit too blunt. CX-rays do stretch so ounding down by 1mm is advisable you can go down by up to two. rounding up will lead you to run out of threads.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Oh 24H on the front for a disc brake wheel is fine. Mine have not given me any issues.

F45

by F45

No, I like it when people are blunt. My mistake on the triplet lacing calculations was a bush league error.

seve88

by seve88

Have you encountered this?

I have laced a 3 cross 32h wheel. There are no mistakes in the lacing pattern. I measured the ERD using my usual method and it was the same as the manufacturers. Likewise the hubs. Used the spoke length by rounding down slightly. I have set the nipples using a Cyclus drill bit. All but 3 or 4 spokes feel like they have the beginning of tension. The 3 or 4 others, in random places on the rim, are super loose. I backed them all off and reset but the same spokes remain loose.

I measured all spokes before using and they were the same. They are all set the same depth but I get these loose spokes.

I had a similar wheel a few builds ago. I respoked with 2mm spokes shorter and it built fine. Is this my problem and has anyone else experienced this? I don't understand what causes this given I have measured everything and the measurements match the manufacturers.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If you have not tensioned the wheel this is normal spoke vary in length slightly. Tension it true and stop worrying you have done something wrong.

Schmittler

by Schmittler

Are there any suggestions for ceramic brake pads for the Ryde CSS?

rasmusic

by rasmusic

Sorry if this is covered before, but I'm planning on building my first wheelset with internal nipples, but the DT spoke calculator doesn't seem to have this option, so how do I do it? Calculcate the wheel with a higher ERD?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yes ERD is worked out with the nipples you are using.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com