HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288 ... 319  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:48 am 

When I say "vertically complaint", I mean "vertically compliant". I ran the same tires (Vittoria Open EVO Corsa CX) on both wheelsets (Reynolds Attack and the XR19W) with the same tire pressures (95 psi front, 105 psi rear).

Over small bumps, the Reynolds transmit more buzz into the saddle and handlebars. It's like the shape/frequency of the vibration "curve" is the same, but the peaks are higher with the Attacks. They are light and great for climbing, but overall, I don't find them to be overly comfortable.

I know tire pressure has a really big impact, but try riding a Mavic Ksyrium SL and then a Dura-Ace C24 wheelset. The difference in comfort is pretty amazing, but a wheel is a wheel, right? ;) The C24s made my old Madone (with aluminum steerer tube) ride so much nicer than they did with the Ksyriums. A buddy of mine noticed the exact same with his Scott Addict R4. Great bike, but a fairly harsh ride that was made a whole lot more comfortable with the D-A wheels. I only sold mine because I got tired of replacing their $$$ proprietary rear spokes.

Bob

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:48 am 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:56 pm 

what to do if rim has straight holes for internal nipples ?
if spokes break at the edge of spoke hole becouse there is bend - specialy on deeper rims (60mm or 80mm) this angle is bigger.

Is solution lower tension?

click this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m8maAO-m-w

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:48 am 

Archetype+BITEX+Sapim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:12 pm 
in the industry

I have just recieved the first DT Swiss RR440 rims in from Madison in the U.K. 32H only at the moment. Weight is 450g confirmed, 16mm internal width, single eyelted and 1200N max tension. Not cheap but a useful rim I feel especially if a shallow rim is desired that is wider than normal. A useful alternative to the A23 which has finish and some quality issues I have found.

Also did my first build with La Reine Du Nord - Ambrosio Nemesis rims and wow these are so easy to build with. The wheels tesnsioned my much like the archetype or a DT Swiss rim i.e when tensioning they remain striaght and round with little evening out of tension required. Also when stress relieving the wheel does not go out of true much unlike the velocity A23. Damm good rims to build with and my first ride with them on Pave tyre was a very comfortable one but that was the tyres I am sure. The wheels were built with Dura ace 7403 hubs 32F and 36R, sapim Laser spokes and brass nipples. They weigh about 1900g for the pair so not light but hey they look fantastic and perform faultlessly. I hope to be able to use these rims again as they are a joy to build with.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:56 pm 

Hi, fellows. What is the maximum spoke tension supported by Kinlin XR-200 rims?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:57 am 

Hi all,

new to the forum and in the process of selecting rims for my first set of custom road wheels.
Currently thinking the other bits to be:

hubs alchemy elf/UL
spokes sapim cxray
rim something allround & tubular, aero over weight.

I'm 81kg/180pds. Feel free to comment the above or suggest some rims.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:04 pm 

FarSports rims (and wheels) have been working well for a number of people. But if you're not willing to deal with buying parts from China or want the Very Best I'd recommend Enve rims.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:41 pm 

xis wrote:

Since no one answered the question, I sent an email to Kinlin and I got the answer below:

"It depends on design/combination of your wheel set. What we can ensure is the drilling holes can bear over 300 kgs pullin weight."

Ok, now I have other doubt. I've used many calculators over the internet before buying the spokes and the results are theoretically the same. Other thing is that now I know that there are two ways of measuring the spoke length. Some people measure from the end of the thread to the center of the spoke's head and some people measure from the end of the thread to the the beginning of the "J" bend, slightly before the bend. The spokes that I bought were measured from the end of the thread to the beginning of the "J" bend. In the "rear wheel", most of the spokes are longer than they should be. The result is:

Questions:
1) Do you think that I'm going to have troubles? Most of the spokes are passing about 3 mm from the nipple's head.
2) Has anybody here using the spokes this way?

I hope you can understand my English. :thanx:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:23 am 

xis wrote:

110-115kg is very safe tension

click this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m8maAO-m-w

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:27 pm 

eric wrote:
FarSports rims (and wheels) have been working well for a number of people. But if you're not willing to deal with buying parts from China or want the Very Best I'd recommend Enve rims.

Thanks eric, I'll have a look at farsports.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:02 am 

I'm about to order Kinlin XC279's in 20/24 for my ORC/ELF build, and then I remembered I have a set of high end Ksyrium's with worn through wear markers. Would an XC279 be an OK replacement for this rim (obviously with new spokes?) These would be in 18/20, and likely end up on my girlfriends bike to replace the horrible no name wheels. I know the general feeling is to throw away old Mavics, but the hubs were maintained every 6months, have near new bearings, and look good to go for another 4+ years, so I'm willing to lace up some new rims while watching TV. I'm just worried that there is something I'm not considering here, and would appreciate input.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:55 pm 

Don't the Ksyriums have straight (rather than j-bend) proprietary aluminium spokes? The hubs' spoke holes will not work with normal steel j-bend spokes.

And if I remember right the nipples in the wheels are not standard either.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:15 am 

Eric, thats correct. I've built multiple wheels before with straight spokes - another project with 188 hubs, so spoke sourcing is not an issue. I'm not sure why the nipple in the old wheel will matter if I'm going to use a new rim, new erd and new spokes, am i missing something here? (spoke holes on mavic hub seemed to be typical of straight spoke geometry hubs) thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:50 am 

The slots in the hub for the spokes are larger than normal, to fit the aluminium spokes. Same for the nipple holes in the rim.

If you use the aluminium spokes that fit the hub, the nipples would not fit the KinLin rim. If you use straight steel spokes whose nipples fit the rim, they won't fit the hub. I suppose you could machine tiny adapters. Or drill out the spoke holes in the rims.

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:50 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:18 pm 

All clear, thanks eric.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288 ... 319  Next