HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lightest Road Wheels
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:30 am 

So @ 1780g race ready, with all the tread on, I may be able to still cut 20g when I replace that steel 14T cog with an alloy one.

Anyone got lighter - race ready (50+ profile, 25mm wide, 25mm tyre, glue, skewers, freewheel) ? The Reynolds RZR's with Veloflex Record 22s - were lighter - but different specs.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:30 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:11 pm 

Do you work for / are sponsored by Mercury wheels?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:07 pm 

TheDarkInstall wrote:
Do you work for / are sponsored by Mercury wheels?
I do not work for them. Mercury sponsors our team (logo on kit) and they are OEM equipment on the team bikes. However I also bought those M5s in the picture and chose to use different/non Mercury hubs as well as FMB tyres made to my specs - with no money from Mercury. The freewheel is also a one off milled/modified junior 14T one piece weighing in under 140g with a steel 14T. I will be going 100% alloy 14-25T in a month or so and cutting another 20g.
Mercury was easy to deal with and get my specific configurations from. Last few years we used Reynolds RZRs (too squishy, but the lightest), Eastons (still own) and some Nimble Flys (still own) and was going to go with ax-Lightness 24 SRTs this year, but decided on the Mercury's. For the size (profile and width) these are the lightest things I've seen.
Curious if anyone has seen lighter - subject of the thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:26 am 

Aren't carbon aero wheels banned for junior racing?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:30 am 

kulivontot wrote:
Aren't carbon aero wheels banned for junior racing?
Juniors - 17-18 are under UCI rules, there is no ban.
At ages before 17 each country decides. Denmark - no ban, Belgium - yes - ban and also profile requirement, USA - no bans... Same as for gears - countries choose until 17-18 (juniors), then UCI decides.

Last edited by Zoro on Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:35 am 

But to the topic of this thread - Lightest Road Wheels - anyone know of a lighter set of race ready wheels with the same specs (50+profile, 25 wide rims, 25wide tyres)?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:04 am 

Zoro; do the races you enter not have a minimum bike weight? While I applaud your quest for lightness, does running wheels like this not put your bike under the weight limit for racing?

As for the topic of the thread that you are sternly pointing us all back in the direction of; the lightest wheels I have are AX Lightness SRT 24, on Extralite hubs. They are not the same rim size as your wheels here, however, so not comparable. They are bloody light though.

I have built a load of Far Sports on Tune hubs which are in the same ball-park, weight wise, but again, with smaller rim height (24 and 38, mainly). They are a good option though, for someone wanting very light racing wheels; I like building using a high end hub, decent spokes, and a cheap Chinese carbon rim, as I view the rim as the next expendable part after the tyre, especially in racing, so when it inevitably gets trashed, rebuilding with another cheap rim onto the same spokes / hubs is only a case of a couple of hundred dollars, rather than mega-bucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:38 am 

Dupe post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:38 am 

TheDarkInstall wrote:
Zoro; do the races you enter not have a minimum bike weight? While I applaud your quest for lightness, does running wheels like this not put your bike under the weight limit for racing?
Yes - by 900g/2lbs. Racing weight with two cages and pedals and DA DI2 is just a hair over 6kg/13lbs. So when/where it matters - we need to add weight. I had another thread asking the best place to add weigh. I will use lead weight below the BB for this. I'd still use light wheels and add lead to the bike.

TheDarkInstall wrote:
As for the topic of the thread that you are sternly pointing us all back in the direction of; the lightest wheels I have are AX Lightness SRT 24, on Extralite hubs. They are not the same rim size as your wheels here, however, so not comparable. They are bloody light though.
No debate on the SRT 24 if what I read is correct on their specs. And they were what I was going to buy. Note last year we used RZRs (900g) with Veloflex Records (190g), and decided for real racing we wanted more there - and a stiffer/more plush ride . There are 1-2 races and a TT the SRT 24's would be better for - but no more budget. The M5s are a better choice for 80% and light (1110g with skewers). We use the Extralite hubs.

TheDarkInstall wrote:
I have built a load of Far Sports on Tune hubs which are in the same ball-park, weight wise, but again, with smaller rim height (24 and 38, mainly). They are a good option though, for someone wanting very light racing wheels; I like building using a high end hub, decent spokes, and a cheap Chinese carbon rim, as I view the rim as the next expendable part after the tyre, especially in racing, so when it inevitably gets trashed, rebuilding with another cheap rim onto the same spokes / hubs is only a case of a couple of hundred dollars, rather than mega-bucks.
I often see the Mercury M5s compared to cheap Chinese carbon rims, or the Gigaxxx ones. M5 rims are made in Taiwan and somehow associated with the same company that owns Harro bikes. They also are easy 100g lighter per rim than any other open mold/chinese/Gigaxxx rims specs I've read. It seems about the same mass per dimension as the ax-lightness rims (I am unaware of ax-lightness in 25mm width) and I have not seen that carbon pattern anywhere else.

So...
I am still wondering if these are the lightest *ready-to-race* 50mm+ X 25mm+ X 25mm+(tyre) complete wheel set set out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:45 am 

What is the weight of one of these M5 rims, out of interest?

The Far Sports rims I have used in builds, have been 24mm tubular, at around 280g (less than they quote on their site, but what they weighed when I put them on the scales), around 330g for 38mm tubular, and about 390g for 38mm clincher...

Not wanting to get into an argument with you or anyone, or veer the topic away from its' original focus, but while I do appreciate the physics involved in having lighter rotating weight, when you look at the pro bikes in the big tours, none of them seem to be using anything near weight weenie style wheels, and all seem to be using stock Shimano carbon, Campag, FF, or whatever, which will definitely be nowhere near as light as we are discussing here...

Your final point / question in your post is surely a rhetorical one, what with the power of Google at your finger tips! I think you are confident that this is the lightest wheelset out there... :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:37 pm 

The 50mmx25mm have a mass 330-340 - tubular. No idea about the clincher.

The off topic part...
Sky used what appeared to be SRT24s with what appeared to be FMB record tyres last year on a few mountain stages.
In looking at pros I consider who sponsors them and the UCI requirements / both weight and wheel list / mechanical etc.
When I see Sky appear to buy SRT24s to climb, I think they wanted those. Same with the FMB tyres. Many racers prefer weight near the rims for stability. Most the other stuff the pros go with the groupo and big names as the UCI mass totals are easily met with any of them, although it looks to me many of them may be underweight if the bikes are not 100% checked.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:09 am 

OK. Well, Far Sports are claiming around 360g +/- 10g for their 50mm tubular, but that is 20.5mm wide...

That is potentially heavier than a Mercury M5, and not the same spec, so yeah, so far I think they are the lightest out there!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:18 am 

TheDarkInstall wrote:
OK. Well, Far Sports are claiming around 360g +/- 10g for their 50mm tubular, but that is 20.5mm wide...

That is potentially heavier than a Mercury M5, and not the same spec, so yeah, so far I think they are the lightest out there!
I also saw the ENVE was higher, or thinner. I am making my claim a race ready system - not just parts of which I expect some lighter may be found. I chose heavier spokes and heavier tyres than available, because it fit the configuration of real race wheels.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:32 am 

Zoro wrote:
The 50mmx25mm have a mass 330-340 - tubular.

I'd like to see that verified... :?

Louis :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:53 am 

Well, 'race ready' is an entirely subjective concept, isn't it...

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:53 am 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next