Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Spray-on Mastik?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:51 pm 

I'm mounting a bunch of tubulars, and it occurs to me that a spray-on adhesive would be much easier on the lungs and provide a much more even desposition.

So what do you think? Mounted in a wheel stand and with a set of temporary plugs for the spoke holes mounted, you're ready to start. Quick and even coats.

One plug could be a different color and shape so you can identify a full revolution. You may need to mask the sides of the rim.

While this may take about the same amount of time as a conventional coating, exposure time during the actual gluing application is reduced.

Don't know if the chemistry difference lends itself to an aerosol applicator.

Post subject: Spray-on Mastik?
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:51 pm 

Post subject: Re: Spray-on Mastik?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:10 pm 

I like the idea. I'd buy it and try it if someone released it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:50 pm 

Ha... So, you have to plug up all the spoke holes with temporary plugs, then spray the stuff on. Let the first layer cure before putting on another prior to mounting the tire. Then, normally you'd want to mount the tire fairly quickly after that last coat, but alas, you have to remove all the temporary plugs first which are no doubt quite stuck in those spoke holes by now. And I haven't even asked how you keep the spray from getting all over your brake tracks etc, do you have a teensy teensy spray gun that you pretty much lay down in the rim bed while spraying? And what about that little spray nozzle clogging up at all with "spray mastic" shooting through it. Inserting and removing the temporary plugs would likely negate any time savings from the spray action, plus be quite a messy sticky job in itself.

Now, perhaps if you were indeed gluing large quantities of tubulars in a production type setting you could develop some sort of machinery that would do all of those things automatically. But who's your market for gluing tubulars en masse like that? More importantly, who would pay for it?

Although, if the autolube chain thingamajiggy guys managed to get some sort of sponsorship with Orica-Scott, then I suppose anything is possible. Good luck, us bike geeks will seemingly pretty much buy anything these days if you tell us it will save a watt or otherwise be good for our health.

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:05 pm 

The reason I have for considering such a system is in fact to reduce exposure. I don't use chemicals to remove glue, and I sure as hell don't like being exposed to the fumes while applying tubular glue. If it takes a few extra minutes to mask and prep, then I am absolutely in.

As for clogging at the spray nozzle, 3M, Scotch and a bunch of others seem to have it figured out. Chemists are a sharp lot.

The plugs could be made of teflon and shaped conically, as to provide a slight interference fit. For the thin film needed per layer, there will be no issue with their removal and subsequent cleaning. Removing a set of plugs should take no more than a minute at most.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:35 pm 

Bridgeman wrote:
The reason I have for considering such a system is in fact to reduce exposure. I don't use chemicals to remove glue, and I sure as hell don't like being exposed to the fumes while applying tubular glue. If it takes a few extra minutes to mask and prep, then I am absolutely in.

As for clogging at the spray nozzle, 3M, Scotch and a bunch of others seem to have it figured out. Chemists are a sharp lot.

The plugs could be made of teflon and shaped conically, as to provide a slight interference fit. For the thin film needed per layer, there will be no issue with their removal and subsequent cleaning. Removing a set of plugs should take no more than a minute at most.

The solvents, solubilizers, and stabilizers you'd have to add to the adhesive to make it sprayable would be a lot worse than the little bit of exposure you'd get from using a brush and a tube of Mastik.

And note that European volatile organic emissions standards have driven a couple reformulations of Mastik One anyway to reduce or eliminate the problematic compounds you are trying to avoid anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:49 pm 

Something like veloplugs but with a small grip/handle thingy sticking out if then to facilitate quick and easy removal would work.

Some sort of gel that you could paint on the sides of the rims (Vaseline consistency but water soluble) quickly while spinning the rim in a trying stand or fork would stop spray on glue sticking to the sides of the rim/brake track. Then just wipe off with a damp cloth after for a perfectly clean rim.

Pretty sure I've seen contact cement in an aerosol can before too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:45 am 

11.4 wrote:

The solvents, solubilizers, and stabilizers you'd have to add to the adhesive to make it sprayable would be a lot worse than the little bit of exposure you'd get from using a brush and a tube of Mastik.

And note that European volatile organic emissions standards have driven a couple reformulations of Mastik One anyway to reduce or eliminate the problematic compounds you are trying to avoid anyway.

This.

I'm with Calnago Also on this.
I would also add that the people used to glue lots of tubulars are already very good with a brush and liquid glue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Y2wCgDmFM

Louis :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:51 pm 

Yeah, that guy would have 3 done by the time you could prepare one for "spraying."

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:51 pm