Vel freehub bearings

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
slumsdon

by slumsdon

Hello

First post on the forum :-)

Have some vel 50 rl wheels which am v pleased with. Unfortunately the freehub bearings are grumbling and need replaced. Does anyone have any experience on best way to tackle this, its soft allow so dont want to damage it with uneducated hammer blows.

Have ordered the 17287 bearings so should be fine but any advice welcome

Many thanks

Simon

howl

by howl

Usually there is a bearing at either end of the freehub, with a spacer tube in between. You should be able to push the spacer tube to one side and knock out the existing bearings from the reverse side, while supporting the freehub body on something that won't damage it (pieces of wood maybe?).

Alternatively you could get a new freehub for £50 https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Vel/Sh ... heels/RUJC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slumsdon

by slumsdon

Thanks howl, bearings ordered, will give it a try

slumsdon

by slumsdon

Well that was harder than expected. Firstly there is a hard plastic cover over the pawls which i cracked a bit off, then had to punch both bearings out with a socket, to discover the inner bearing is secured with a circlip. Really need one of those expanding clamps that you fit inside the outer bearing and pull out

bobones

by bobones

slumsdon wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:01 pm
Well that was harder than expected. Firstly there is a hard plastic cover over the pawls which i cracked a bit off, then had to punch both bearings out with a socket, to discover the inner bearing is secured with a circlip. Really need one of those expanding clamps that you fit inside the outer bearing and pull out
I bought these wheels last January for a bargain price and got about 2000 miles (many wet) before the freehub outer bearing collapsed causing the cassette to wobble excessively, which affected rear shifting. After arguing the case with Sigma, they sent me a free replacement freehub, but my confidence in the durability of these wheels is severely dented.

I also had a look at how to replace the bearings, and the hard plastic pawl cover seems to make things very awkward. Is it possible to get that off without breaking it?

In the end, I replaced just the outer bearing that had failed, so I now have two working freehubs, but I'm not using the wheels much these days.

BTW, this is a good source inexpensive bearing maintenance tools: https://www.bearingprotools.com/ I have a press, several removal tools, and over axle drifts from them, which have been great.

slumsdon

by slumsdon

Yup, when replacing the bearings i realised that the outer bearing gets preloaded when fitted, there isnt a shoulder for the bearing to sit on, the spacer sits on the inner race so the bearing gets preloaded and fails. I purchased a blind bearing puller and used this to unload this bearing so hopefully it will last a bit longer. And the plastic pawls cover is a pain, i used a stanley blade to prise it out but not great

slumsdon

by slumsdon

Oh and i bought that exact blind puller that your link shows :-)

cycloshane

by cycloshane

As a few of you have experienced replacing the bearings in this particular freehub, can I ask which bearings are in them please? Are they 6903 and are there 3 bearings plus the spacer? Many thanks in advance 🙏

slumsdon

by slumsdon

The freehub bearings are 17287, two of them with a spacer inbetween

Start by removing the outside bearing using a 17mm blind puller, then the spacer and you will see a circlip holding the inner bearing in place, remove and use blind puller again. Dont try and knock them both out from the other side using a socket since you will end up having to belt the hidden circlip out (as i did)
When refitting make sure not to preload the outer bearing since the spacer sits between the inner races, so when you press out bearing in you can easily preload it. I suspect this is why people are experiencing premature failures
Good luck

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com