Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Thu May 26, 2016 3:50 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED

If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:21 am 

Hi all
I am in the search for a pair of bora wheels and as I am more a clincher user, even though I also have a pair of Vision tc 50 tubular carbons that I like, I am wondering what to get, Bora tubular are lighter, may be faster, or to stay with the clincher system that I am acustomed with, so I ask all what choice should I make, knowing that clinchers are somhow more expensive than tubulars... I am in the market for a new pair from Germany so... thanks all for the input

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:21 am 

Bora 35 or 50?
I watched this recently : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ovYHQ35-5o
Not saying it's right or wrong but it is interesting.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:08 am 
Shop Owner

Bear in mind you cannot compare exact like for like in that test. My 25mm clinchers on a wide rim measure 27.6mm, 25mm tub = 25mm. To keep comparable air volume/aero compare 23mm clincher on wide rim to 25mm tub, 25 to 27, etc. Not sure how this would effect the results, but I'd be interested to know once measured width is taken into account rather than labelled tyre size.

Personally, I still prefer tubs on carbon. Carbon clinchers have come a long way the past few years, but tub rims are stronger and lighter by design. Saying that, I run Vittoria tubs (303 tubular) and the identical model open tubular with latex tubes on my clincher wheels (H+Son Archetype) and they do give similar feel and speed. If both are labelled 25mm, the clinchers do slightly have the edge once the road surface gets rough, e.g. chipseal/gravel, but then they do measure 27.6mm as stated above. With the 23mm clinchers (measuring 25mm, same as the tub, so I'm guessing similar air volume) I far prefer the tubs.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:20 am 

I have the clinchers an run Schwalbe Pro One tubeless. I run 80 psi on the front and 90 in the rear. The new tires are lighter or as light as the best tubular. You now also have better puncture resistance and the ride is as nice as most high end latex tubulars. I am super happy with my purchase.
Starbike has the best prices.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:45 pm 

Not sure if the OP is in Germany - looks like it - so perhaps Starbike isn't the cheapest.
I've been looking at the Bora One 35mm clinchers and have seen these:

http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-wheel ... 29664.html
(Has an additional 5% off at the moment)

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/camp ... /wg_id-511

You can probably find them cheaper... not sure if you want the 35mm or 50mm (or clincher/tubular!).

It seems that modern clinchers are pretty good - for non-race/everyday summer wheels what would be the difference between Bora tubulars and Bora clinchers? Weight is less for tubulars but it's easier to sort out a puncture with clinchers. Personally I'd like to step into carbon rims for less weight than alloy and possibly better stiffness & a bit of aero too(and to be honest, a bit of bling!).

Is it as night and day as saying that unless you get Bora One tubulars you might as well get a good alloy clincher like Shamal? Any thoughts? What benefits would you see between Shamal clinchers / Bora clinchers / Bora tubulars? Just curious...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:17 pm 

I have the Bora One 50 in tubular and the Bora One 35 in clincher. My only reservation with the Bora clincher is rides involving long and steep alpine descents. For those type of rides I revert to my Shamal Ultra aluminum clinchers. It is somewhat inconvenient changing brakes pads, but I am getting good at it. I am looking forward to trying the new Shamal C17 when they become available as they will be the same width as the new Boras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:51 pm 
Shop Owner

island wrote:
It seems that modern clinchers are pretty good - for non-race/everyday summer wheels what would be the difference between Bora tubulars and Bora clinchers? Weight is less for tubulars but it's easier to sort out a puncture with clinchers. Personally I'd like to step into carbon rims for less weight than alloy and possibly better stiffness & a bit of aero too(and to be honest, a bit of bling!).

Is it as night and day as saying that unless you get Bora One tubulars you might as well get a good alloy clincher like Shamal? Any thoughts? What benefits would you see between Shamal clinchers / Bora clinchers / Bora tubulars? Just curious...

My Tune hubbed H+Son Archetypes weigh 1422g, so 50g or so lighter than Bora one clinchers and just as stiff with the benefits of an alloy braking surface and lower cost. The Boras will gain a little in aero and sure do look nice though.
The tubular Bora ones however knock 200g off (250g lighter than the clinchers) and keep the aero advantages. If you choose to add sealant you shouldn't have to worry about punctures either (although I get less on tubulars anyway for some reason). The tyres do cost more and take a little more time/care to fit, but the wheels are much cheaper so that helps balance it out for a while at least.

If comparing Bora clinchers to Shamals, there is little if any stiffness difference, and I feel the shamal (if anything) is stiffer. I've not ridden either in the wet, but braking is excellent on both in the dry. It comes down to aero/looks really.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:03 am 

Mine shall be Bora 50 that's for sure as I live and mostly ride in flat land with minor hills. I also have other wheels at hand mostly clinchers that served me well for long time (campy Zonda, Proton, Neutron, Vision TC 50 tubular, Ambrosio 42 carbon clincher, Marchisio T800 50 carbon clincher, Mavic Cosmic sl for everyday ride, and some Corima Vinium carbon clinchers 30 for climbing) I always wanted some Boras and finally I put my finances together to get some, as I dream about these for years, I also had a bad issue with some French guy on Troc-Velo where I PAID some Boras 50 an received nothing - 800 euros lost, but that's my stupid lack of patience and carelesness... final story I think that I will go for some Bora One 50 Tubulars, as I already have a bunch of clinchers to play with at my hand, and most of my bikes are deserving some top wheels like these . Hopefully the Germans will move fast and I can get my wheels soon enough to get in use all summer here (Bucharest!!) - normally I ride about 300 km a week in and around my town or some longer trips with a friend in France or Belgium - last year I descended from Lyon to Perpignan on the Rhone Valley about 1200 km in 12 days on my trusted Bianchi infinito cv - the nicest trip of my life. Thanks all for the input, looking forward to hearing from you all

Last edited by bogdanescu on Tue May 03, 2016 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:18 am 

In what regards the Shamals that somebody here suggested I can say that I owned to pairs older and newer version, that I sold, the newer ones were better but still too rough for my taste and somehow flexier, so I kept the Zondas (also a newer and an older pair that saw more than 30000 km still going strong even though the braking surface is kinda hollow now). I also kept the Protons very nice and sturdy wheels, not so light , but swift and rolling for ever, I found somwhere an info saying that Pantani was training on these... hm might be, who knows. So Shamals I had, they run well, but I prefer the higher profile carbons, as they have aero benefit, and are stiffer. Thanks all, I let you know about my Boras soon enough

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:19 am 

The usual arguments apply ... tubulars are lighter feeling ... corner better, and are safer and handle better in the mountains

But there are some very nice fast clincher tyres out there also ...

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:26 pm 

Love my Bora 35 tubulars to the point where I've replaced all my wheels with tubulars. Switched to clinchers many years back... then to tubeless and the road feel was much closer to what I was used to... Then got a great deal on the Bora's and finally saw the light why I loved tubulars so much to start with. Descending is just a pure blast on tubulars!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:56 am 

audiojan wrote:
Love my Bora 35 tubulars to the point where I've replaced all my wheels with tubulars. Switched to clinchers many years back... then to tubeless and the road feel was much closer to what I was used to... Then got a great deal on the Bora's and finally saw the light why I loved tubulars so much to start with. Descending is just a pure blast on tubulars!!!!

Very true ... it's then that you notice the difference ... and there is no worry at the back of your mind about overheating, sudden blowouts etc

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:46 am 

Hi all
My wheels are here, dazzeled am I by the look, installed some Tufos on, some cogs and looking forward to try these beauties on my Colnago EPS SR MTBK... opinions soon!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:16 pm 

If you run tubulars its a Pitty when you glue Tufo on it ..
Better you choose Veloflex or Vittoria