Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Mixing glues seems inadvisable.

Did you follow the Conti carbon glue glueing instructions? They are different than instructions for Mastik One or regular Conti glue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ECT

by ECT

Peter_E wrote:I have a pair of Tufo cyclocross tubulars that I have glued to a pair of Bontrager XXX lite carbon tubulars. I have used Continental glue for carbon rims (black tin). The problem is that they don't seem to to stick that well. Have used plenty of glue so that is not the problem. I have glued quite a lot of tire-rim combos in the past so I am not that useless either.
Now to the question. Can I reglue them using Vittoria Mastik that I think work better. Does it matter that there is carbonglue on tires and rims? The carbon glue is quite dry so I could probably get rid of most of it from the rims but the tires will have som left.
Grateful for any input.
Peter

I'm having the same problem, using Conti glue and the tire-wheel combinations of Bontrager Aeolus 6.5 with Bontrager XXX Lites tires, and Easton EC90 SL with Continental 4000s's. After cleaning the rims well, I make sure they are spotless, not even touching the rim bed to get any contaminates on it, but the tires still do not stick well. The glue does stick to the tires well, however. Could it be due to the age of the glue?

Peter_E

by Peter_E

The glue is brand new. At first I did not follow contis instructions but did so on regluing. The problem seems to be thst the glue is to dry somehow.

Maybe Contis regular glue?

Skickat från min MT15i via Tapatalk 2

Geoff

by Geoff

@Peter_E, the various glues utilize a number of different active ingredients not designed to work in conjunction with each other. It is not advisable to mix them, as it could compromise the resulting bond. Generally speaking, I prefer the Vittoria Mastik 1 over all other glues. It performs equally well on alloy or carbon rims, road, track, MTB or 'cross.

Unfortunately, it is a bit of a pain to remove the old glue (which is no doubt why we are having this conversation). I prefer starting with a 'mechanical' removal process (scraping the rim with an old screwdriver and an equally old piece of kitchen flatware), followed by a chemical process involving Goof-off or paint thinner (please use nitrile gloves and a vell-ventilated area) on a terry cloth rag, changed regularly.

CrazyCaramel

by CrazyCaramel

Hi guys, recently got my first set of tubulars. Glued them on ok mainly thanks to the great advice in this thread. Unfortunately got a puncture today after only a few hundred miles.

I've ripped the tyre off and some of the base tape has come away from the tyre and is still stuck to the rim. Whats the best way to clean the rim of the chunks of base tape so i can put a new tyre on?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Just pry loose a corner and tear it off the rim I'd say?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Geoff

by Geoff

Once you get a corner started, don't try to pull it off with your fingers. Get a really broad set of pliers (ones that will completely surround the basetape across its whole width) and use that. Dont just pull straight up, pull evenly along the line of the basetape. After you pull a few inches, re-set your pliers closer to the rim and do it again. The trick is not to tear the basetape again, if you do, you'll have to start picking at the basetape all over again.

LouisN

by LouisN

Just a question like that:

How can someone use a tubular on a wheel, and sell that tubular afterwards with the basetape brand spanking new ???!!! I've seen a few lately on the net (classifieds, Ebay...)...

Louis :)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Possibility a: the tubular IS new.
b: the guy used some sort of tape?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Geoff

by Geoff

...or a repaired tire? If Tirealert repaired it, it would have a new basetape, but probably a butyl tube.

lanab

by lanab

As a newbie i didn't know much about different tubulars so i grabbed a pair of Conti Giros and some Conti cement.

It was a nightmare fitting the Contis, so hard to stretch and i eventually got them mounted but lots of glue on the tire sidewalls where i tried to push the tire onto the rim, two weeks later i got a puncture in the valve so i took the chance to change both tires and bought another tubulars now from Schwalbe, boy what a difference they were, they fit so nicely and it was a joy mounting them, i didn't even have to pre-stretch them and they look lovely now.

Another mistake i did was to use Aceton trying to clean up the mess on the Contis tire sidewalls, that was another newbie mistake as it removed the protective cover ending up with the cotton unprotected, never use solvents on tires again, thankfully the Giros are pretty cheap so it was a lesson learned by practice.

How come Contis are so hard? they use some special rubber that makes them harder than others? you can figure what a nightmare it was for me as a newbie starting off mounting Contis.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Fiddling with my first tubular wheels. Got a set of Reynolds SDV's where the tubs came off nicely without too much tape residue. The disc wheel on the other hand, has a nice layer of residue all around. I've been using acetone, citrus degreaser, hairdryer, sunflower oil and the likes to get the residue off - any ideas? I also used elbow grease and that worked, but it's pretty tough on the fingers.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

Geoff

by Geoff

@lanab, welcome, both to 'our' Forum and to the world of tubulars! I don't personally have a problem with mounting Continental tires, but I know that others do, so get you. I think that they may be sized slightly smaller to start. Stretch them on an old rim for a couple of weeks and read my previous instructions for mounting them, and they will go on quite easily.

@Kermithimself, That is a pretty decent wheel to be 'experimenting' with! The products that you mention will not help you at all. What you need is a product called 'Goof-Off' or common paint thinner. Goof-Off is quite aggressive and is also apparently quite toxic, so wear nitrile gloves and use all of these products in a well-ventilated area. I recommend mechanically removing as much as you can by hand (an old screwdriver or piece of flatware works well), then finishing it off with your chosen chemical remover and old terry cloth rags, changed regularly.

Personally, next time, if the old glue layer is nice and even all the way around, I would be very tempted to just glue over it.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Geoff wrote:@Kermithimself, That is a pretty decent wheel to be 'experimenting' with! The products that you mention will not help you at all. What you need is a product called 'Goof-Off' or common paint thinner. Goof-Off is quite aggressive and is also apparently quite toxic, so wear nitrile gloves and use all of these products in a well-ventilated area. I recommend mechanically removing as much as you can by hand (an old screwdriver or piece of flatware works well), then finishing it off with your chosen chemical remover and old terry cloth rags, changed regularly.

Personally, next time, if the old glue layer is nice and even all the way around, I would be very tempted to just glue over it.

I bought some paintthinner and will use it outside to see if it will help :D
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

miskur505

by miskur505

I recently broke the presta valve on my Mavic griplink tubular. I was trying to unscrew the nut and it must have got gummed up with stan's sealant that I had in the tube and ended up shearing. So, now I'm looking for a replacement valve core. Does anyone know where I can get one (website, link)?

Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com