Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

+ 1.000.000

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

djconnel

by djconnel

Tufo tape adds about the same resistance as 200 grams added to your bike climbing a hill. If you look at Al Morrison's CRR results you might think it's no big deal but that's what it works out to. Would you use tires 200 grams heavier? So I recommend sucking it up and using Mastik.

I just got a Vittoria Crono CS to replace one which wore out. 189 grams on the scale puts a smile on my face. I feel like I'm cheating using these tires in hill climbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

[quote][/i'll have to admit that i don't think wiggins used Jantex tape. though he may have... :)quote]

I very much doubt it.

Jantex is really old fashioned tape, probably the first around. It's nothing more than a piece of cloth coated with white rim cement from I can't remember which company.
Anyhow, that cement isn't good at all and neither is Jantex tape really.
It's not even all that convenient to use, you invariably end up tearing that paper strip that's supposed to help center the tub anyhow....

What's so hard about putting a few coatings of cement on a rim anyway ? :?

If nothing else just do it for your own safety and that of others on the road along with you.

Cheers, ;)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It still amazes me how many people think applying a bit of glue is difficult.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

That white glue I referred to is called Tubasti by the way. Avoid it like the plague.
That Jantex tape being a strip of textile weave which makes it hygroscopic (soaks up water etc). Not what you want from a tape at all.

And no, it hasn't changed and quite likely never will. What it should do is just disappear. :mrgreen:

Cheers, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff

by Geoff

Tubasti? Yikes. I remember that from my childhood. Really soft. Kinda the opposite of Clement, which was the other common glue of that era I would recommend avoiding.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Who has tried the Vittoria Mastik ( Magic Mastik ) ?? I wan't to buy some next week to try it on my C50 wheelset and give it a try ...

jaup

by jaup

Hi,

I have just cleaned the adhesive on my tubs, what an arduous job.

So I'm just wondering how clean is clean enough?

This is about as good as I can get them.

Pics attached.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Geoff

by Geoff

@seahuston, sometimes, the area around the valve is not perfectly centred around the valve stem. This can leave a 'lip' of basetape fabric up against the valve stem. If this happens, that 'lip' of tape may result in the valve stem area may not lie flat on the rim bed. You should be able to see this on your stretching rim before you mount it. If your tire has a 'lip' of fabric, just trim it off with a razor knife until the tire lies flat when mounted on your stretching rim.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

jaup wrote:Hi,

I have just cleaned the adhesive on my tubs, what an arduous job.

So I'm just wondering how clean is clean enough?

This is about as good as I can get them.

Pics attached.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think that's clean enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Multebear

by Multebear

What's the difference between Continentals rim cements for alloy vs. carbon if any?

parajba

by parajba

Hi all (in particular Geoff and fdegrove for all the help back in 2011-12!).

After a hiatus of 2 years I will be back racing in 2016 :) and I have a few questions.

Set-up: Zipp 404 dimpled pre firecrest, Veloflex Carbon (22? Can't confirm right now) from 2011, Vitoria Mastikone, glued in 2012 and raced very little, plus 2 unused Carbons 22c from same year. The 2 new Carbons have been stored in a shed on old clean rims, the Zipp 404s with the Carbons glued on have been stored inside my house in a dedicated (!) bike room.

Questions:

1) Is it safe to use the tires that were (properly) glued in 2012? I checked and the bond seems very strong. Glue is MastikOne.

2) I purchased 3 x 30gr of MastikOne and a few Vittoria PitStop cans in 2012 as spare, does this expire or will it be still good?

3) Because of the ageing process, I noticed that the side walls of the Carbons are a bit grey and not so supple, and perhaps in need of some liquid latex. I seem to remember that it's a standard procedure for the sides of aged Carbons?

Please note that I wasn't planning on ageing them for 4 years (!), it just happened that I had to take a few years off racing due to work commitments.

Thanks for reading!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Good to see you back here, parajba.

1/ OK.
2/Ditto
3/It's the factory coating that oxidized a little, I'd just leave it.

I've a stash of Veloflex's that are much, much older than that and they're still fine. 8)

Cheers and thank you for the kind words, ;)

parajba

by parajba

Hi fdegrove,

Pleasure :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com