Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I would retire it, period. I wouldn't use it for training/easier rides or as a spare. But that's me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

+1

Better think of it as a spare latex inner tube from now onwards..... :P

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

sungod

by sungod

thanks chaps

now i just need to soothe my blistered thumb, had a struggle getting the tyre off - it was the first one i glued using the instructions here, seems the glue worked very well

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

sungod wrote:thanks chaps

now i just need to soothe my blistered thumb, had a struggle getting the tyre off - it was the first one i glued using the instructions here, seems the glue worked very well

Even thinner layers next time :thumbup:

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

I had been on my clinchers for quite a few rides, as i was getting ready to clean the whole drivetrain. They are Fulcrum Racing 3s, tyres are Pro3 Race, with latex inners. For a clincher setup i think it is right up there...but fark me did my jaw drop for the 34th time when i swapped back the tubular set ( Ambrosio Nemesis/Record/DT Aerolite + Veloflex Criterium )...It just can't be that much better...It's just ridiculous, the difference..in every aspect.
How can anyone be without some sweet riding tubulars??
Not to mention I'm always a bit anxious when on clinchers..whereas when on tubbies i just don't give a fuk, and can really enjoy the ride..
I just had to share... :mrgreen:

civdic

by civdic

Is Veloflex the only tire that stamps a manufacture date on the base tape. I recently purchased a set of Carbons that are dated March 2012. Do tubs need to be mounted to age or inflated or just placed in a dark place?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

You can mount them on a spare rim/wheel and slightly inflate them or you can just as well lay them on a large shelf, floor, in big cardboard box, whatever.
For as long as: the area is dry, there are no UV rays (not even from artificial lightsources), tubulars are in no way constrained (to avoid knicks in the sidewalls) and you're not going to keep them there for decades ( :mrgreen: ), you'll be fine.

Is Veloflex the only tire that stamps a manufacture date on the base tape.

AFAIK they are the only one but maybe FMB or Dugast do so as well. It would be nice if more manufacturers followed suit though.

Ciao, ;)

TuplaO

by TuplaO

^^I acquired three Challenge Strada tubbies a while ago. Each of them had a date stamped on the base tape. It is useful, I have to agree.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I need to get rid of the valve hump on my Vittoria tubular rally set. They are going on mavic reflex rims. What's a good way to make that hump less noticeable. How to trim around the valve.
No I will not modify the valve hole on the rim.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Challenge grifos here with date stamps, glued yesterday.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

JKolmo

by JKolmo

fdegrove wrote:AFAIK they are the only one but maybe FMB or Dugast do so as well. It would be nice if more manufacturers followed suit though.

FMBs are date stamped too.

Geoff

by Geoff

Here is a peice on Francois Marie that I thought you guys might find interesting: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/i ... hop-35668/

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

CarlTroy wrote:
sungod wrote:thanks chaps

Even thinner layers next time :thumbup:

That's what makes it stick so well. A thick layer of glue would not dry as well would easily come off.
Mavic makes some plastic tire levers to help you un-stick the tire from the rim.
These tire levers are not the same as the clincher ones.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

gb103

by gb103

Hello everybody. I have read good things about veloflex tubular tyres and are now going to be my next tub purchase.

However, has anybody tried their clincher tyres? Looking for a clincher that has average puncture resistance (luckily rarely suffer from punctures), good in the wet and suitable for decending in the Pyrenees. I currently ride scwalble ultramo ZX without any problems.

Many thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Mavic makes some plastic tire levers to help you un-stick the tire from the rim.

Hmmmm....Interesting. You wouldn't have a pic or a link for these?

However, has anybody tried their clincher tyres?

Technically they are the same as the tubular versions. If you're looking for decent puncture resistance make sure cto age the tyres for at least a couple of mionths prior to use.

Ciao, ;)