Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Foo

by Foo

^^ X 2 to this. ^^

Foo :wink:
So long as you have tried your best, then you should have no regrets!

antifocus

by antifocus

Hi,

Anybody here tried the Vredestein Freccia Pro Tricomp tubular yet? It is as cheap as Conti Sprinters, which I am currently using.
Just entered the tubular world so everything seems to be new and exciting to me. :mrgreen:

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toppity

by toppity

I've had a look back through the last 30 odd pages and not seen my answer, so I'll post my question. I'm considering using Tufo tape to fit some new Tufo singles on my old Zipp 404's. The question I have is... do I need to remove the old glue from the rim, or can I apply the tape over the glue? If it is a no-go then I might just glue them on. I just wanted to try tape and see if it is easier.

BTW, g'day Foo. :D

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Tape really really really must go on a clean rim

toppity

by toppity

^^
Buggar. It took all my strength to get the tufo on my old araya to stretch it. Not looking forward to trying to glue it on. I've bought some goo off. Might try to clean it and see how I go.
Last edited by toppity on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Tufo tape + Tufo tyres on........Zipp 404? I'm crying..... :(

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

toppity

by toppity

^^

I've had a bad run with Vittoria. I've tried the Evo Tech and the Evo Slick and had plenty of puncture issues. The final straw was a double puncture in a recent race. Not ideal. An experienced rider said he had switched to Tufo with good results so I'll give them a go. If they stretch ok I'll glue them I think.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Next time you buy some Vitto's try to age them in a dark, dry place for about six months. It won't turn them into miracle tyres but at the very least it should up the puncture resistance.

I'd avoid any tape and especially this Tufo one as a) it adds unnecessary weight (about 40g/wheel) and b) what seems to be very convenient at first will soon turn into a nightmare once you try to get it off the rim.

I have my opinion on Tufo tubulars which I voiced here several times already so I'll wait and see what you think of them.... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrewjn

by Andrewjn

Stick with the vittorias. My first few did puncture easily but as the rubber ages the puncture resistance tends to increase, I have a Vittoria CR on at the moment and it is hanging in really well even as there is a lot of glass around at the moment and not even getting slashes

toppity

by toppity

I'll glue the Tufo on and see how it goes. I'll perhaps buy some Vittorias and age them for future.

paulandmonster

by paulandmonster

once you ride tubulars you will never go back. be prepared to get a bit messy the first few times after that it becomes sort of a ritual.

toppity

by toppity

I've been riding on singles for a while, perhaps 25 years :mrgreen: so they aren't new to me, I've just never tried the tape. I've shopped out the gluing most of the time, but I'll get back into it now.

Geoff

by Geoff

Frank? Aging Vittoria tires? Am I rubbing-off on you? :D

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

:lol:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101968&p=924603#p924603

No, you're not rubbing off on me yet, Geoff.
It's just that I've always considered there being two sorts of aging: one is the outgassing of chemicals present in adhesives (handmade tubs mostly) process and two is the aging of rubber compounds.
While I always considered natural rubber to benefit from aging (after all natural rubber is created from vulcanised latex) I'm surprised to learn synthesized rubber is not entirely ultra stable either.

Anyhow, this information, as kindly shared by 11.4, is a first of its kind as so far we only had our own accumulated experience to go on.

My last personal experience with Vittoria tyres predates 2005. Since then I ride in a geographical aera laden with flints and all kinds of stuff these tubs seem all too eager to collect and burry in their threads, so.....

Ciao, ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

i had to brake very hard on what turned out to be a dirty gritty bit of road, didn't skid but the rear wheel was skipping around on the grit, later i noticed that the surface layer of rubber has peeled off in one place (tyre is veloflex carbon, 6 months old)

i've got a couple of weeks cycling holiday coming up where there'll be fast descents with hard braking, and also some nice 60kph+ swoopy corners

now i'm wary of riding it there in case the grip is iffy or in case more will peel off under load, so i'm thinking of putting a fresh one on and keeping the old one for training/easier rides

am i being too picky? or is it better to swap tyres? it looks like this...

tread.jpg

tread2.jpg
tread2.jpg (4.51 KiB) Viewed 1943 times