Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
3Pio

by 3Pio

Beeing curious i decided to remove whole glue from the rim using http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/produc ... a-remover/ and put there fresh glue.

I just applied the glue remover, will wait about 10 hours and try to remove. Will let u know how this works...

Vagabond

by Vagabond

3Pio wrote:Beeing curious i decided to remove whole glue from the rim using http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/produc ... a-remover/ and put there fresh glue.

I just applied the glue remover, will wait about 10 hours and try to remove. Will let u know how this works...

Please do! I'm about to strip down a set of Hyperons before mounting some new 25mm Veloflexes to them. I might try their product if you find it works well. :beerchug:
Colnago e Campagnolo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

Vagabond wrote:
3Pio wrote:Beeing curious i decided to remove whole glue from the rim using http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/produc ... a-remover/ and put there fresh glue.

Please do! I'm about to strip down a set of Hyperons before mounting some new 25mm Veloflexes to them. I might try their product if you find it works well. :beerchug:

I guess easier then regular way.Still a lot of work :). I need to apply this glue remover two- three times (ok first time i got it wrong, Instead of using brush i applied with cloth).

Very important is waiting time.
U have to do it in right time, not to wait more, not to wait less (u can decide based on how it look like)

Here is a picture how it look like stripping of glue (i used plastic tire lever first, then cloth, then bare fingers)

sungod

by sungod

was that after the correct time?

i've used schwalbe remover, downside is it can be messy as it runs and drips, but it's also quite fast acting so you can do both wheels in 2-3 hours

3Pio

by 3Pio

sungod wrote:was that after the correct time?

i've used schwalbe remover, downside is it can be messy as it runs and drips, but it's also quite fast acting so you can do both wheels in 2-3 hours

Im not sure if that is the perfect timing, but at least compared to waiting 10 hours :) it was much easier to remove it.. But after maybe one hour or two, it become solid again. The produced say the perfect timing could be between 2 and 12 hours, depend of glue thickness and layer of glue remover. In my experience 10 hours is a lot, probably the perfect will be be between 3 to 5 hours.

I'll try today another layer, and waiting like 4 hours

3Pio

by 3Pio

Im not sure if that is the perfect timing, but at least compared to waiting 10 hours :) it was much easier to remove it.. But after maybe one hour or two, it become solid again. The produced say the perfect timing could be between 2 and 12 hours, depend of glue thickness and layer of glue remover. In my experience 10 hours is a lot, probably the perfect will be be between 3 to 5 hours.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Im not sure if that was the perfect timing, but at least compared to waiting 10 hours :) it was much easier to remove it.. But after maybe one hour or two hours, it become solid again. The producer say the perfect timing could be between 2 and 12 hours, depend of glue thickness and layer of glue remover. In my experience 10 hours is a lot, probably the perfect will be be between 3 to 5 hours.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I posted this in "Removing glue residue from carbon tubular rim" thread.

Effetto Mariposa, turpentine, sand paper, table knife, tyre lever, small screwdriver, kitchen sponge, cloth and here we go.

Rim has never been cleaned before. Four seasons and a bit, 4-6 gluing. The only reason I took the tub off was I wanted to inspect the rim after hitting the pothole quite hard last weekend.
Mariposa was applied 3 times, each time leaving it on the rim overnight. All mess taken by tyre lever.
But still some elbow grease was required using knife removing glue mainly from the rim channel.
Finally kitchen sponge (rougher side) soaked with turpentine finished the job.
Last edited by 1415chris on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shrike

by Shrike

Spanking job, nice one 8)

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I found mineral turps did the job quite well for me just with a rag. I tried the hairdryer and scraper and just got blisters. Goof off was just noxious.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I've made a video showing my process for glueing and mounting tubs;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o3KKehdLuk

I appreciate that everyone does it a bit differently and noone's method is necessarily 'perfect' but this way has worked well for me for over 10 years now, and it is somewhat faster than most.

3Pio

by 3Pio

In January was my first tubular installation, and in that period looked to me like something very comlicated :)

Now it become time to replace rear tubular, and i decide to clean the rim completely using the Carogna Remover, some old clothes, and acetone.

After a while i got this:

Using small screwdriver, clothes and acetone i gently remove almost everythng.

So this time glueing and tubular installtion went so smothly, and i done it without any complication or mess.

Also i used less glue then last time (last time i guess i overglued since i still did not know how to apply glue).

This time, i bought very cheap brushes (like 0.5 eur per brush), and bought three of them.

This is the procedure i used:

Streching:

48 hours tire installed on the rim, on 12 bar pressure

First day:

One thin coat of glue on the rim, with same brush after i finished the rim, one thin coat of glue on the tire.

24 hours waiting

Second day:

One thin coat of glue on the rim with same brush after i finished the rim, one thin coat of glue on the tire.

This should be 24 hours waiting, but i was busy, so i was waiting 72 hours.

Third day

This is where i made a lot of improvement since last time

I prepare the tire in term of rotation direction (last time i glued opposite direction first, so i had to remove it :( )

Also part of tire preparation was putting some air to get some shape. I found out for Vittoria Corsa G+ that pressure is 0.8-1.0 bar

Final thin coat of glue on the rim, waiting maybe one minute and i installed the tire.

I pump it on 4-5 bar pressure.

First i centered by hand, then put it on the truing stand, and checked where is off center.

Centered, checked again.

When i was satisfied i grab the pole, and put the tire inside of the rim evenly everywhere.

Standing from one side, then doing the same from the other side (pole is centered as much as possible whil ime doing that).

Checked if it's still centered, just a small correction.

Then i rolled the wheel on the floor with my weight on it in both directions

Checked again if its still centered.

Pump it to 9 bars.

Just last check, everything look fine :)

That's it. Now waiting time until i try them in Saturday morning (it will be 36 hours delay after installation to the ride time).

dj97223

by dj97223

Oddly, that is the procedure many here were recommending to you. With the exception of "grabbing the pole."
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

3Pio

by 3Pio

dj97223 wrote:Oddly, that is the procedure many here were recommending to you. With the exception of "grabbing the pole."

Yes, more or less that was procedure. But as a newbie the most problems i had then, was because was not mentioned (or at least i did not find them then clear enough), exact pressure in three steps and where i had problems then:

1. Installing the tire - I made experiment this time what is max pressure of tire, but to be able to install it (i guess it's depend a lot from tire model/brand), in my case with Vittoria Corsa G+ i use 0.8-1.0 bar (tube have enough shape, and is still very easy to install).

The first time few months ago, first i tried too much pressure (i was not able to install it), then too less :) (tube did not have nice shape, so it was off center).

2. Centering the tire

I did not had idea on what tire pressure to do this and is important (at least for me). Found on the net somewhere to center it 60-80 psi pumped. Now i used 5 bar pressure (about 80 psi). Last time i was centering the tire with less pressure then this (2.5 bar), also had problems with that (when u think steps are clear enough, then u are stucked because u did not have exact idea on what pressure to do what :) )

3. What pressure to pump after centering . Last time i was thinking that i need to put as much as possible for better grip to the rim. I was pumping 12 bar then :), now i went with 9 (this was mentioned last time, but after i screw it up :) )

4. Pole trick help to put the tire in the rim on parts that are not good enough without that.. It's helpfull (at least it was for me). I done the same last time as well, but maybe too late (i was waiting more last time after final layer to installing the tire).

5. Another big difference i done this time, and gave me more relaxed centering time, i installed tire this time 1 min after aplying the glue as final layer.

Last time i was waiting like 5-10 minutes (as mentioned somewhere). That made much harder centering of tire and less time for that.

Also wanted to share (as there is mentionet that is ok to use finger or brush), that in my case this time brush worked better. Last time as first i tried with finger, then went with brush, but after failure first time :)

So that why i explained the detailed procedure i done now with exact details, based from my newbie point of view where i had problems first time :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

What's grabbing the pole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk