Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
th8410

by th8410

I didnt install the first set of tires, but it looks like they have sanded around some of the spoke holes to smooth them off and not the rest of the rim which is why it was so patchy.
I had read there were differing opinions when it comes to sanding which is why I found this interesting. Like I said, there was no problems with the tire bonding to the rim where it wasnt sanded (it required the same amount of effort to get the tire off), its just that the glue held to the rim a lot better where it had been sanded and would require less effort to install the next tire.

llhh

by llhh

Guys, some advice needed.

I managed to damage my Bora rim while pulling off the tyre:

I didn't use excessive force or anything, noticed this only when the tyre was off. Haven't had this before with any other tubular wheelsets (Eastons for example).

What next - should I just sand the area where the carbon layer came off slightly? Or is new lacquer coating needed?

Could it maybe be a warranty case?
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ouch. Never actually seen that before. I would send a pic of the rim and that pic above to Campy and see what they say. I'd be curious to know. When people say they can change a tubular on the side of the road in less than 5 minutes, this is why I call BS. It takes me a good 15 minutes to get a properly glued tire off a carbon rim because I put a round shaft (screwdriver) between the tire and rim and work my way around the whole rim slowly so as to avoid something like that and also to avoid separating the base tape from the tire in the event I'm removing the tire for reasons other than a puncture and want to reuse it. Do you have a picture of the rim bed you could show us? What kind of glue were you using out of curiosity?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nibby

by nibby

sorry to see the above, good luck with getting things sorted.

Question on that and to a potential new tub user. Would it be more sensible to use something like tufo tape instead of glue?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

nibby- tufo is the worst culprit for the above
Official cafe stop tester

llhh

by llhh

I was using Vittoria cement - no previous problems with this one whatsoever. Absolutely no clue why it was extremely stubborn to remove this time as I have been using same glue/tyre combination for a while. Only difference being the different make of the rim.

Anyways, sanded off the bits where laquer/carbon layer came off, applied 2 layers of glue and left it to dry. Will mount new tyre later today (switch to Conti glue just in case) and keep my fingers crossed that the next tyre will come off as supposed.

Tempts me to try this Tufo tape myself to be honest :noidea:
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You could try a warranty claim but the rim is probably structurally fine. I always use a tyre lever to ease a tub off as sometimes the base tape of the tub comes off!

Markmoddy

by Markmoddy

Good info for tuby nooby... Thanks

bron

by bron

Hey everyone, looking for some advice here.

Just glued my second set of tubulars and am trying to figure out whether the glue job is good enough. There seems to be plenty of advice on how to glue them (I just go with the Vittoria instructions, am using Vittoria Mastik One) but not so much on what actually constitutes a good enough glue job. I use the wheels on group rides on "average" roads - no mountain descents, no crits, no racing.

I've checked both wheels by using decent force to try to pull off the tyre off the rim, on both sides and both wheels. They seem fine and I would say they are good to go bar a couple of defects - would appreciate your views on whether they matter or not. It's so damn easy to go all OCD with the tubular gluing stuff!!

In some sections (between 4-10 cm) the bond is a bit like a receding hairline, slightly lower down on the rim bed. The bond is uniform and seems strong, though. Does this matter? I also have a small section (3-4 cm) where the bond is a lower down on the rim bed and there is a 0.5 - 1 cm gap in the bond in the middle. Does this matter if the bond on the other side is perfect - ie. right up the rim bed? Should I try to fix this by putting glue afterwards in the gap - does this even help? Or should I reglue entire tyre because of this?

llhh

by llhh

I would say that for a tub to get off the rim, the glue job needs to be not just average, but overly crappy. If you have glued the tubulars yourself, followed the instructions, applied reasonable amount of glue etc then it's highly unlikely for them to fail... even if you are not that experienced.

I would be more concerned getting your tubs clued at random LBS - you will never know how much time and effort gets put into the job (letting cure over a reasonable amount of time, number of layers, sanding etc).

Took my brand new rims to LBS once to get the tyre glue on - guys called me back in an hour saying "they're ready to ride". No comments... :twisted:
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

llhh wrote:Guys, some advice needed.

I managed to damage my Bora rim while pulling off the tyre:

I didn't use excessive force or anything, noticed this only when the tyre was off. Haven't had this before with any other tubular wheelsets (Eastons for example).

What next - should I just sand the area where the carbon layer came off slightly? Or is new lacquer coating needed?

Could it maybe be a warranty case?

I've seen that before.
You can send it back to Campagnolo, can be repaired easily.
This can happen if the bond is strong and you pull the tire off.
A tire should not be pulled off the rim. It should be pulled loose side by side.
As stated in the campagnolo user manual.

Wriggle enough loose by hand until you can slide a flat object under, then go around the rim rocking it up and down either side of the rim.

Geoff

by Geoff

@llhh, :shock: . I have heard of that happening, but have never seen it. i am informed that the Campagnolo Bora has a layer of 'cosmetic' carbon on the rim bed for aesthetic reasons. If that is the case, then you would probably be fine to glue-down over it and mount a fresh tire.

morkm

by morkm

I had some de-lamination occur on a HED tubular a few years back, almost the same amount of carbon came off. It freaked me out and so I shipped them back to HED to be inspected. HED advised that it was just cosmetic and was fine. It still made me pretty uncomfortable and I eventually got rid of the wheels. Incidents like turned me off of tubulars for good.

jeffy

by jeffy

I have read that using tufo tape for anything up to 25mm tyres, use the 19mm tape, for 28mm+ use the 25mm tape

What would you use on 23mm wide Major Tom's for a 27-28mm tyre?

Is using the 25 going to have overhang to strip with a razor, or will the extra 2mm be taken up with the slack of the rim bed bend?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

I know it seems easier, but I recommend a good glue over the tape.