Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Geoff

by Geoff

But a butyl inner tube instead of a latex one?

No, Tirealert can do a repair with a new latex tube. Sometimes, the proper size latex tube is difficult to find (eg. try finding a latex tube for a FMB Paris-Roubaix 27), hence the butyl.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

How does that work?
Does the customer have to supply a latex inner tube of the correct size or do they carry the most common sizes?

@Hocksink:

The thread should be tensioned correctly, not just high and even or you'll change the shape of the tubular.
I'm sure that with some practice you'll get by without investing in a sewing machine.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

If you have the most common size (22-23) there should be no problem with a latex tube. If it is a different size, it may be a problem. If you have latex tubes for an unusal size (e.g., 25-27s, 650c, MTB, etc.), then you can supply a tube and they will install it.

robmitchell

by robmitchell

Hi,

I just bought some used tubulars off ebay.

The rear tire needs replacing. I have the new rear tubular tire.

Can I pre-stretch it on a clean clincher rim? or do I need to remove the worn tubular, clean the rim it was on and put it on there to inflate and stretch it prior to glueing.

I plan on getting some help on the first glue effort.

rob

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Rob,

As far as I know you can stretch the tires on tubbie rims as well as clincher rims. Nils (Pk0r) told me about the fact that you can stretch tubs on clincers as well. at first I didn't believe him as well. Now that I have some fresh tubbies here at home to play with I tried it and it works well.

here are some pics:

Front rim Mavic CXP 10 Clincher, Rear rim Mavic Monthlery Pro Tub:

Different angle:

Not entirely related, pre glued tub still stretching.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

It's hard enough to get Conti's on a tubular strecthing rim to initially stretch. Is it even harder to get them on a clincher rim for initial stretching? Anyhow, I have plenty of old tubular rims for stretching, so I'm set.

jclay07

by jclay07

So I glue over a hundred tires a year for myself, friends, and pro racers. I have been a Conti glue fan for a long time. Today, I open up a new can of clue that I have had for about 5 months and find that it contains a glue that is milky white in color and much thinner than the glue that I have come to love. Did I get some bad glue or is this the new "carbon rim" glue? I had a second bottle that came on the same order, and it was exactly the same? Anyone seen this?

Thanks!

cryoplasm

by cryoplasm

If I may pick some views to answer a question regarding base tape.

The base tape is the weakest link in the reusability of a tub. Once the tub comes off, so does most of the base tape. I tend to remove the base tape completely off the tyre. So far I have been replacing the base tape with tub tape.

What are alternative solutions to replacing the base tape?

Geoff

by Geoff

I used to use a carpet adhesive to glue back the base tape. In retrospect, I don't know how safe that was, but it probably was no worse than whatever Barum used. I have not had a basetape come off since the 'old days' when we trained on Barum tires.

Today, I use Mastik One and Vittoria/Cont/Dugast/FMB. What glue/tire combinations have you had the base tapes come off with?

cryoplasm

by cryoplasm

Geoff wrote:Today, I use Mastik One and Vittoria/Cont/Dugast/FMB. What glue/tire combinations have you had the base tapes come off with?

I use the same combos. The point I am asking is, once a tub is removed from the wheel the base tape is no longer effective. For a start it has solidified with glue and no longer has the suppler qualities which it originally had. So I tend to get rid of the tape entirely and replace it with what?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

jclay07 wrote:So I glue over a hundred tires a year for myself, friends, and pro racers. I have been a Conti glue fan for a long time. Today, I open up a new can of clue that I have had for about 5 months and find that it contains a glue that is milky white in color and much thinner than the glue that I have come to love. Did I get some bad glue or is this the new "carbon rim" glue? I had a second bottle that came on the same order, and it was exactly the same? Anyone seen this?

Thanks!

Hi,

You won't get Conti glue for carbon rims unless you specifically order that glue.
Batches of glue can vary.
Hard to tell from a distance if the glue you have is still usable or not.

Ciao, ;)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

cryoplasm wrote:If I may pick some views to answer a question regarding base tape.

The base tape is the weakest link in the reusability of a tub. Once the tub comes off, so does most of the base tape. I tend to remove the base tape completely off the tyre. So far I have been replacing the base tape with tub tape.

What are alternative solutions to replacing the base tape?

Hi,

Not in my experience at least not with a well made tubular such as Veloflex, FMB, Vittoria and the like.

Often basetape is put on at the factory using a liquid latex sollution.
I know latex based wall to wall carpet glue to work as would Barge rubber cement.

It's definitely not a good idea to use rim cement to stick basetape back on as next time you remove the tubular there's no telling whether or not it will stick to the tubular or the rim...

No idea what tub tape is though.

Oh, when you remove a tubular, only pull the first 10cm or so off the rim then lift the tubular off by pulling it straight off not sideways. That way you much reduce the chance of the base tape separating from the tubular's casing.

New base tape can be bought but surely you can avoid having to buy it in the first place?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

cryoplasm wrote:
Geoff wrote:Today, I use Mastik One and Vittoria/Cont/Dugast/FMB. What glue/tire combinations have you had the base tapes come off with?

I use the same combos. The point I am asking is, once a tub is removed from the wheel the base tape is no longer effective. For a start it has solidified with glue and no longer has the suppler qualities which it originally had. So I tend to get rid of the tape entirely and replace it with what?

Hi,

The base tape is no longer effective since you managed to remove it.
Why should it have to be supple?
It's going to be put on a rigid rim anyway.

So, without base tape you risk to damage the stitching next time you "rip" it off the rim?

cryoplasm

by cryoplasm

I have tended to use tub tape for this purpose. This is the glue equivalent of rim cement but as a double sided sticky tape.

Once a tub of mine comes off the base tape is in fairly bad shape so I remove the base tape completely and do my thing. Besides the base tape is also contaminated to use over again once removed/exposed.

Apart from concealing the casing stitching, what is the purpose of the base tape?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Disregarding the cute avatar, what discipline of cycling are you involved that messes up the base tape so badly then?

The primary purpose of this base tape is to protect the stitching, not much else I know of.
Still, a not unimportant aspect of your general safety one should think.

Last edited by fdegrove on Mon May 18, 2009 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.