Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
shimmeD

by shimmeD

I fail to understand why RussellS even looks at this thread.
I ride tubulars full-time.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Well, he's probably right - if you include all the world's kids and those in the developing world. Having raced in the PRC in the mid-80's, I can attest to the fact that few tubulars were to be seen, versus the millions upon millions of clinchers.

From the performance bicycle perspective, though, there were very few options for clinchers. For racing, I cannot recall ever seeing a clincher (not unlike today, actually). Notwithstanding that, and because I am a firm believer that you cannot have any opinion without having actually tested something over time, I 'bit the bullet' a few years ago to run my own 'clincher test'. I rode them almost exclusively for an entire season. I am sure glad that's over and do not anticipate doing that again. I am now testing the tubeless system, which has been better.

Having tried all three systems, I come back to the tubulars again. There is still nothing like them for performance cycling.

RussellS

by RussellS

Calnago wrote:@RussellS: Care to list the teams in this year's (2013) Tour de France that were using clinchers?

No professional racers in the Tour de France, or Giro de Italia, or Tour de Espana were using clinchers. One of the teams in the Tour of California may have been using clinchers. Now, would you answer how many motorcar drivers in the world were driving Formula 1 or Indy race cars? Its obvious you think what the top level professionals use in their TRADE is the exact same thing that everyone else should use. Odd. How did you come to this belief? I use a triple crankset with a 24 tooth chainring and a 28 tooth cog when I climb in the mountains. Professionals use 39 tooth chainrings and maybe 27 or 25 tooth cogs. You obviously think everyone should use the exact same gearing as professionals. Odd.
Last edited by RussellS on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

RussellS

by RussellS

shimmeD wrote:I fail to understand why RussellS even looks at this thread.
I ride tubulars full-time.

I do not. I had some built up by Colorado Cyclist quite a few years ago. 15 years maybe. Reflex rims, Record hubs. Used Continental Sprinter orange tubulars. Found them for a great price out of Canada somewhere. Used them for a few years, repaired the tubes and restitched the casing and glued the basetape half dozen times, but gradually drifted back to clinchers only. Have not ridden the tubulars in about ten years. Never noticed any difference when riding them. But maybe there is a difference compared to the $100 latex Vittoria and Dugast and FMB tires. Don't know. Kind of like I find it hard to believe the difference in frame material that some people talk about. I have titanium, carbon, aluminum, and steel bicycles. Never noticed any difference. But again, maybe some really do notice a difference. I just don't believe it.

RussellS

by RussellS

Geoff wrote:Well, he's probably right - if you include all the world's kids and those in the developing world. Having raced in the PRC in the mid-80's, I can attest to the fact that few tubulars were to be seen, versus the millions upon millions of clinchers.

I'm just talking about the USA. Not Africa, Asia, etc. Just the US. And just adults riding bikes, not kids. Back in the early and mid 80s I rode RAGBRAI a few times. There were very few tubulars on those rides. And few to no tubulars among the riding groups I've ridden with in Des Moines and Kansas City in the past 15 years. Adults riding bikes, mostly old men unfortunately. None of those riders had ever owned, used or worked with tubulars and most had been riding for at least a decade or two. Tubulars are rate. About as common as sports cars. Porshes, Ferraris, Corvettes, Lamborghinis, Bugattis, etc. They exist and you seen them rarely. But they are not common. About as common as the above cars I expect.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

RussellS, I understand where you're coming from:
Tubulars are 'harder work' and most people will just use clinchers for that reason alone.
I'm pretty insensitive but 'luckily' I can feel the difference between a reasonable tubular (say Conti Sprinter) and a good clincher with latex tube. So call it a blessing that you can't notice the difference, and are thus happy with clinchers.
Please just don't crucify people who prefer tubulars.

I haven't had ti but my favourite/current ride is steel.
Less is more.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

RussellS wrote:
Calnago wrote:@RussellS: Care to list the teams in this year's (2013) Tour de France that were using clinchers?

...Its obvious you think what the top level professionals use in their TRADE is the exact same thing that everyone else should use. Odd. How did you come to this belief? ...

@RusselS: Is it obvious, really? Hmmm... ok, if you say so. I have a number of clinchers in my garage. I don't force friends to ride tubulars or even tell them I'm on tubulars unless they ask. What's odd is how you came to that conclusion.

You decided to read a thread devoted entirely to tubular tires, then state rather emphatically that "today almost no one knows what a tubular tire is and have never ever seen one in the flesh". Odd as well, since most shops in my area sell tubulars, and most everyone I ride with knows what they are, and some believe it or not have even seen one or two in the flesh.

Point is, I don't think anyone who has posted to this thread or anywhere on this forum would argue that tubulars should be used by everyone, cuz that would be just dumb. Of course clinchers are by far the mainstream tire in the world. No one here, I repeat no one, is stating that everyone should be riding tubulars. But make no mistake, the performance of a tubular tire is still above what any clincher tire has achieved today, and that's why they are still used at the highest levels of competition and by amateurs who appreciate those qualities.

You know what's really odd to me?.... You.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Geoff

by Geoff

Hmmm. I think I am the only guy in my neighborhood who doesn't drive a Porsche. You're right, though, only one of them rides tubular.

I think the distinction is between racing and performance cyclists in either of 1988 or today. In both cases, I think tubulars were/are common.

markyboy

by markyboy

I am thnking of going back to tubular :D but want a decent tyre with good puncture resistance any recommendations?
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Geoff

by Geoff

Everybody likes the truly hand-made, limited production tires. Me too. The reality is that, for everyday riding the 'conventional' road tires are perfectly suited for the job. I have had good luck with the Conti Comps and Vittoria All-Weathers (or it's progeny).

dual

by dual

Yeah, the ride quality of Veloflex and the like is hard to beat, but my favorite daily riders now are Vredestein Fortezza Pro. Best compromise of ride quality, robustness and longevity in my experience.

zx9rmal

by zx9rmal

markyboy wrote:I am thnking of going back to tubular :D but want a decent tyre with good puncture resistance any recommendations?

I've been using Tufo Jet Specials for recreational (non-competitive) riding. I get them for around $45 a tire and they are VERY durable and flat resistant. Have never had a flat, knock wood. Some riders trash talk Tufos but they seem to get great reviews on Biketiresdirect.com.

Hope this helps.
Mal
Weston, FL
'92 Merlin Extralight, 14.6 lbs.
'14 Giant Propel Advanced 2

Geoff

by Geoff

I actually have a set of stupid-light Tufos on a set of LW's that I 'inherited' (quiet! frank might hear you). It seemed a shame to just scrap them, so I left them until they flatted. They sure are tough! I'm starting to see the cords, so they can't last much longer.

The truth is, I probably have more miles on Tufos (well, Barums) than any other tire. Back then, we rode whatever we were given. Today, if you have a choice, there are lots of better choices (I.e., tires that ride better).

Life's too short to ride a crappy tire.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Some riders trash talk Tufos but they seem to get great reviews on Biketiresdirect.com

If only reviews would be as neutral as the proverbial swiss neutrality.....

Anyhow, if you must enjoy that cardboard crap, then please by all means do so . :mrgreen:

Life's too short to ride a crappy tire.

Persactly. Anything else is false economy. Same goes for cars really. The cheapest cars I ever owned were all Porsches. Get one, Geoff. :mrgreen:

Sven did it again. :beerchug:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Geoff

by Geoff

Sven Nys is unreal. On Saturday, he said that he didn't actually flat, but that he switched to Grifo's. I didn't know that Sven was running Challenge tires as well as Dugast.

The problem with Porsche is that they are not the best for our climate. One of my partners is running the Cayenne Turbo, but I'm sticking with the Supercharged Rangie (we've had over 40cm of snow already this season and it was -19 this weekend. Big and heavy is the way to go...)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com