Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Danza

by Danza

Pulled a set of comps off a set of wheels where the previous owner used Tufo tape.

The tires came off cleanly, with the basetape intact and attached.

The tape left a tacky residue, obviously different from glue residue, but instead similar to any sort of tacky residue left behind when removing household tapes.

Am I good to glue overtop of this residue (Mastik) or do I need to determine a way to clean the tire of this tape tack?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

harksmeadow

by harksmeadow

Hi, bit of advice needed please. Just about to glue up a new tub, Conti Sprinter. Put first layer on base tape, and notice that theres a section that looks like this. Is this normal on these tyres? But worried i've got a dud, so before i stick, thought I'd ask! Thanks in advance

Geoff

by Geoff

@danza, while I have heard of guys gluing-over Tufo tape, I personally wouldn't recommend it. My theory on this is that there is no guarantee that mixing the various compounds in different glues will not result in an inferior bond. It just isn't worth it.

@harksmeadow, that is what a basetape that has been stretched 'incorrectly' (i.e., using the old foot-in-stirrup method) often looks like (I know, that is the way I was originally taught to stretch them). It is possible that someone did that, noticed the damage and returned the tire (I saw that at a shop this season!) without the shopkeeper noticing (all they usually check for is that the tire was not glued).

The manufacturers warn not to stretch tires that way anymore. It is possible to cause damage to the casing that cannot be seen if you stretch a tire like that. Having said that, I raced for 16 years stretching tires like that without ever having an incident (on a tire I glued myself). Accordingly, it isn't perfect, but if the rest of your gluing job is first-rate (i.e., glued-up with enough thin, even layers on rim and basetape and enough time left for curing between layers of glue), I think you should be ok.

harksmeadow

by harksmeadow

Thanks Geoff. That sucks! I only stretched it on a wheel, it was a clincher rim, but event so i've never had this happen before. ANyway, will have another proper good look tonight. Sure it will be fine, but once its in my head that it might not be it will cause me no end of doubt! :roll:

@harksmeadow, that is what a basetape that has been stretched 'incorrectly' (i.e., using the old foot-in-stirrup method) often looks like (I know, that is the way I was originally taught to stretch them). It is possible that someone did that, noticed the damage and returned the tire (I saw that at a shop this season!) without the shopkeeper noticing (all they usually check for is that the tire was not glued).

The manufacturers warn not to stretch tires that way anymore. It is possible to cause damage to the casing that cannot be seen if you stretch a tire like that. Having said that, I raced for 16 years stretching tires like that without ever having an incident (on a tire I glued myself). Accordingly, it isn't perfect, but if the rest of your gluing job is first-rate (i.e., glued-up with enough thin, even layers on rim and basetape and enough time left for curing between layers of glue), I think you should be ok.

dj97223

by dj97223

It looks like the basetape is torn? If so, I would return, if only for peace of mind. If torn and you decide to use it, I would glue/repair the basetape before applying the tubular glue.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Geoff

by Geoff

Yes, that is exactly the kind of tearing of the basetape that you can get from stretching the tire over your fot and pulling too hard.

harksmeadow

by harksmeadow

Cheers guys, I took a good look last night again and it seems to me it's just the way the tyre has been finished. Poorly! Also take a look at this pic, looks the same on a conti tyre, so given me bit more confidence. http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... res-23929/

Geoff

by Geoff

Hmm. The photos that you posted made it look like the basetape was torn.

If you are speaking of the 'rough' gauze-like look of the Conti basetape, it definitly looks funny, but it is effective. You will find, though, that it takes quite a bit more glue than a conventional 'twill-type' basetape does (like, three times more glue). Don't be stingy! Actually, I think I like the Conti basetape better than the conventional basetape...

Danza

by Danza

Geoff,

Yes, I agree gluing over the tape seems a bit questionable, but the tape itself was removed, there is just a bit of tack left on the base tape.

Not knowing the composition of either the tufo tape adhesive or mastic, not sure if anyone has had good luck with gluing a tire that had previously been taped (with tape removed, base tape intact).

Geoff

by Geoff

You'll actually be able to remove that residue with a bunch of terrycloth rags and some household paint thinner. Make sure that you clean the rim with acetone or alcohol before you re-glue the rim.

jackie

by jackie

if possible dont glue over the tubular tape.. it does not allow full adhesion for the tubular tyres to the rim.
firstly remove the residue of the tufo or any tubular tape before applying any glue.
the residue can be remove with thin out thinner. so that u dont damage any decal on the wheel.
slowly remove the residue. it might take a while. and when you are done. use alcohol to wipe it down and clean it and let it to dry off ..use a blunt knife to just try to scrap off any of the remaining residue. once all is done...
I just scotch brite, just to roughen up the gluing portion. and then apply a thin bead of glue and using a brush to spread them out. n then the normal waiting.. then apply again. then wait and then fit it on..

dha

by dha

Any difference in gluing technique for alu rims compared to how you glue carbon? (got my winter wheels in the post and ready to glue them up)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

No.
The only difference is the preparation of the rim bed, you don't use abrasive paper on a carbon rim.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dha

by dha

Thanks