Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

TurboTommy. there's an entire thread on this very subforum. Effetto Mariposa Carogna Tubular Gluing Tape

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

stormur wrote:I already ordered Schwalbe remover. But delivery to where I live ( from UK or Germany ) takes usually longer than to USA :mrgreen: I haven't such time to waist ;)

Sure but why complicate things when they can be easy ?

If you only want to remove some spilled cement then any petrol would do. After that you just wipe the brake surface with a piece of cloth dipped in acetone and that's the end of that. You're good to go.
Cheap and easy.

Should you decide to bring back the rim bed to factory fresh state, the same products can be used but it takes much longer.
That's when this Schwalbe stuff comes in handy but it's not a must per se. Just less elbow grease, that's all. ;)

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

HammerTime2 wrote:TurboTommy. there's an entire thread on this very subforum. Effetto Mariposa Carogna Tubular Gluing Tape

Ah thanks. I searched google but not the forum... :oops:

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Just finished watching a video from GCN where the sky team mechanic was interviewed.

As far as I understood, his method involved 4 layers of glue on a new rim and 2 layers on the tyre. Wait for everything to dry then mount the tyre and wait for everything to dry for about 24h. This way it's easier to mount the tyre since the glue is not wet.

Is this correct? Anyone does this?
Last edited by fabriciom on Thu May 19, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff

by Geoff

That is very similar to what I recommend. The 'trick' is to lay-down many thin, even layers (leaving enough time for the glue to cure sufficiently between applications) on a clean rim.

are

by are

Geoff wrote:That is very similar to what I recommend. The 'trick' is to lay-down many thin, even layers (leaving enough time for the glue to cure sufficiently between applications) on a clean rim.

Interesting. Seems a little different, and easier, than mounting the tire pretty much right after the last coat on the rim. I'm new to tubs and I just mounted some tires using the other method and I did not center the tires very well. If this actually works as an approach, it might work better.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Geoff

by Geoff

Well, I still like to add a last layer on the basetape just before I mount it. All that does is allow you to reposition the tire a bit before it sticks fast.

fabriciom

by fabriciom

I had a puncture there other day and had to repair a brand new sprinter so I will try this technique tomorrow.

fabriciom

by fabriciom

OK so the method does seem to work. It was very clean. I left the glue dry for like 1 hour then I placed the tyre on the rim. The glue did its thing and towards the end it was harder to set the tyre because it was gluing with the rim. Overall I like this new process since I do not get the rim all full of glue.

josephtroppo

by josephtroppo

Just a quick question; I've had my wheel repaired and therefore had to take the Veloflex carbon tube off.
What is the right way to stick it on again now (if I don't have to remove all the glue and start from scratch)

Just put a thin layer of mastik 1 on the rim and tire and immediately mount it?

Or should I sand it down a bit?
Or less/more layers of glue?

sungod

by sungod

check the glue on rim and basetape is ok - no bare patches, not peeling, not powdery

check basetape is not detatched

if ok, put a layer on the rim and mount tub

if not ok, fix the problem, if the rim is very bad you could strip it and start again

if the glue on the tub is just a bit dry or there are bare patches on the base tape, i would give it a fresh coat, leave it a day, then glue rim and mount

tigoose

by tigoose

i have old ambrosio montreal tubular rims, appears to be 20mm outside to outside and 15mm inside width. can i safely run 25mm vittoria pave's and are these tubs repairable from flats, unstitch-patch-restitch ?

thanx in advance

Geoff

by Geoff

@josephtroppo, as Sungod says, check the rim bed. If the original glue job was good, there should be a nice layer of glue well-adhered to the rim bed. Ideally, it will be nice and clean. I would also add that you should be able to press a thumbnail into the glue layer, which would aid in confirming that the glue will react nicely to the new glue. If you are good there, then you can lay-down a new layer on the rim bed and the basetape and mount the new tire.

@tigoose, I have a few sets of those old rims, too. In the past, rims like that were frequently glued-up with large-volume tires. You should be fine. Any 'traditional' tubular can be repaired, either by yourself or by a service.

defride

by defride

Okay, read the first 50 pages of this great thread as I've recently purchased my first pair of tubs, great advice! Vision Metron 55's

Happily they came in a good bit under claimed weight of 1510g @ 1435g off to a great start

I bought them nearly new with a pre-installed pair of Tufo S33 Pro tyres. I took the advice and checked the 'tape' job and the tyres rolled straight off. Underneath Jantex, glad I didn't take them for a spin.

Given I had the tyres I picked up some Tufo tape so I could at least try the wheels out, reinstalled and all went well. Out for a shakedown ride, no more than five miles and puncture... Not a great start! The tyres went from new looking to loads of micro cuts in that short distance, not to be recommended. On the road they also felt sluggish.

Rather than muck around I got straight to it and ordered some Mastik 1 and a pair of Vittoria Corsa G+ 23's

The tires stretched over the rims comfortably and seemed to seat well enough so I glued up and all seemed to go well.

Out on the road the wheels felt so much better than riding the Tufo's however there was a strange sound rather like running over a sticker each wheel revolution. Figured it must be something coming from the valve area and on slowing it proved to be the case. Not obvious on first inspection but there's a definite gap, the top of the valve isn't dropping into the valve hole fully. I read this was an issue a while back with Vittoria's but assumed/hoped that it would have been remedied over the years? A couple of friends have these and haven't had an issue.

I've tried cutting away a little of the base tape and one of the tires sits a little better not sure if it's well enough to attempt to glue, the other isn't much better than it was.

How can this be and what to do?!

Geoff

by Geoff

That's a pretty common tubular 'issue'. Usually, a bit of: electrical tape; shrink-wrap tubing; o-ring, etc. will solve that problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com